What are some touristy things to do in St. Louis???

I'm visiting St. Louis next weekend and I'll admit, sometimes visiting a town over the weekend can be iffy, business wise.

So perhaps doing a bit of sightseeing would be fun!!!

There is one place that I would REALLY like to visit!!!

Topic about it here:
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...662&highlight=

This Spring, I'm looking to do some fun and different things. And I'm sincerely glad to be adding St. Louis to the mix!!!

So if you have any helpful hints, I'd appreciate it!!!

Hope to be able to meet a few of you while I'm in town next week!!!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
I'm visiting St. Louis next weekend and I'll admit, sometimes visiting a town over the weekend can be iffy, business wise. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Sadly, the odds that I'd be there at the same time are very slim (barring an emergency in my family requiring my attention), or else I'd be very tempted to give you some business, seeing as how you're on my bucket list.

So perhaps doing a bit of sightseeing would be fun!!!

There is one place that I would REALLY like to visit!!!

Topic about it here:
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...662&highlight=

This Spring, I'm looking to do some fun and different things. And I'm sincerely glad to be adding St. Louis to the mix!!!

So if you have any helpful hints, I'd appreciate it!!! Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
I don't share your enthusiasm for the cathedral, but I was raised Catholic and long ago outgrew it. But to each her/his own; I do hope you enjoy it.

If the weather is good, consider taking in one (or both) of the Missouri Botanical Garden or the St. Louis Zoo. Both are world class institutions.

If the weather isn't so good, and you want to stay indoors as much as possible, I'm very fond of the St. Louis Art Museum, and of the History Museum in Jefferson Memorial in Forest Park.

Sadly, the City Museum didn't get started until a bit after I left St. Louis, but my daughter (who still lives in STL) thinks it's the greatest.

I am sorry I'll miss your visit, but I hope you enjoy! I am still so smitten with my birthplace that I don't identify as a Memphian (even after 15 years here), but as a St. Louisan in exile.

Cheers,

bcg
Oh, I've been eyeing Memphis for some time, now. I just adore Tennessee!

I'm not Catholic, but I like looking at different churches and that cathedral is really spectacular.

I believe it was DallasRain that wrote somewhere about the zoo.

I'm more of a museum type but I also love zoos (used to be a Dallas Zoo docent for a few years a long time ago)! Guess a lot of this depends on the weather, etc., like you suggested.

THANK YOU so much for your input! I know that arriving pretty much on a weekend, and very possibly during Spring Break, might be a challenge, work wise.

But if there is light business opportunities, then that'll just give me an excuse to get out and about!!!

Hugs and more,
Elisabeth
Everything bcg said are good suggestions. Don't forget to go up to the top of the arch, unless you're really claustrophobic, because the bucket ride up is very confined.

Upside is a lot of the places to visit are free admission, like the zoo, so you can do a lot and not come out of pocket too much.
The zoo is awesome

have fun!!
The St Louis Science Center if your a little geeky, and like the zoo its free. Walk around Forest Park, if you like Italian walk around , and eat on "The Hill" I always go shopping there when I am in STL as Springfield does not have much for Italian food and meats.
Union Station for shopping, LaClede's Landing for food and night life.
A little warning the Arch interior is closed right now. It's supposed to open sometime this month. They are redoing the museum and all interior spaces.
A little warning the Arch interior is closed right now. It's supposed to open sometime this month. They are redoing the museum and all interior spaces. Originally Posted by oldbaldfat
Because of the Arch renovation I've gotten some excellent deals on Priceline for luxury hotels downtown (The Hyatt Downtown and Crowne Plaza the next block north for $50/night the last three times I've visited), but that will change when the Cardinals season opens (if not when the Arch and surrounding grounds reopen), I'm sure. (Though ISTR that hotel prices, especially downtown, are much more reasonable during the summer weekends when the Cards are not playing at home, so make your plans to visit STL in the summer with an eye to the baseball schedule.)

(Sorry, Elizabeth... not trying to hijack your thread... just putting some marginally relevant info out there...)

Cheers,

bcg
I'm heading to st louis today for a few days.
I love the central west end area.
Its beautiful to walk around and there are some quirky fun shops and restaurants. The architecture is cool. Its safe.

http://cwescene.com

Just a heads up with those hotels that are by the arch. The room rate may be appealing, but many of those hotels nickel and dime you when it comes to parking, wifi, etc. For the person who doesn't need any of those amenities, great. If you do, you'll end up with a sour taste in your mouth.
xoxo
Just a heads up with those hotels that are by the arch. The room rate may be appealing, but many of those hotels nickel and dime you when it comes to parking, wifi, etc. For the person who doesn't need any of those amenities, great. If you do, you'll end up with a sour taste in your mouth.
xoxo Originally Posted by Alyssa Marie
Point taken. For me, it more or less washes out, but I can always fall back on my 4G wireless for basic 'net service if they're charging for Wi-fi.

Cheers,

bcg

I just so happened to notice that when I planned this trip.
I wanted to try a new area. But I saw all of the additional charges, so I decided to stick with the same area that I am familiar with.
xo
  • Luxie
  • 04-06-2016, 08:06 PM
The St Louis Science Center if your a little geeky, and like the zoo its free. Walk around Forest Park, if you like Italian walk around , and eat on "The Hill" I always go shopping there when I am in STL as Springfield does not have much for Italian food and meats.
Union Station for shopping, LaClede's Landing for food and night life. Originally Posted by BodyWorshipper
Science center you say? My inner nerd is already excited!
Science center you say? My inner nerd is already excited! Originally Posted by AriannaFox
http://www.slsc.org/

And most of it, like most things in Forest Park, is free. Parking will cost as well as some of the exhibits, but you can spend a lot of time on the free stuff. And the zoo and art museum are both right there. If you like botany, the jewel box is also right there.
I'm heading to st louis today for a few days.
I love the central west end area.
Its beautiful to walk around and there are some quirky fun shops and restaurants. The architecture is cool. Its safe.

http://cwescene.com

xoxo Originally Posted by Alyssa Marie

Thanks for the info Alyssa Marie! I love walkable areas with interesting boutiques, independently owned shops & restaurants, etc. It's one of the reasons I enjoy travelling so much!

The heads-up on hotels that nickel-and-dime is much appreciated too! Especially as I was looking at that area, and tend to not take those things into account. Since I'm driving, parking would really add up FAST!
I prefer to be maybe a little bit out of the way, but in a location with free parking.... and I think some clients likely appreciate that too! ;-)

Haven't been to STL in over a decade and never did any sight-seeing when I was there, so I'm glad to see all the touristy links and tips here. Those things are a priority for me these days.