The Sexual Survival Guide for Geeks

SXSW Interactive Convergence for all the hot nerds out there:
The Sexual Survival Guide for Geeks, today at 5:00pm.

"What they say about geeks, sex, relationships and hooking up just isn't true: we ARE hot and nerdy, and when it comes to events like SXSWi we could all use a little "booty call boot camp". Anyone can read sex ed basics online, but when you're faced with real-life situations and the nuances of quirky geeks who are smarter than the average hottie, and have that irresistible OCD, you'll need to know more than how to Google a pickup line or navigate a smooth SXSWi afterparty fling. In this talk, leading sex educator Violet Blue explains: * Sexual health basics, including safer sex 101. * Exactly how to have a smooth negotiation about safer sex. * Rules and tips for geek flirting. * Do's and Don'ts of picking up on geeks. * Sex etiquette and social media. * How to have a great one-nighter and feel happy saying hi in the halls the next day. * Navigating honesty (and health issues) when someone is cheating. * Consent: saying yes and no to sex with clarity and coolness. * How to have a hot time without pissing off your hotel roommates. * Why geeks are better lovers, and how to attract a geek. * Geek-specific suggestions for seeing each other after SXSW. While heterosexually focused in scope, this presentation will be inclusive of all genders and orientations. Includes a handout of recommendations for a Geek Sexual Survival Kit."
  • ztonk
  • 03-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Sitting in the room waiting for it to start...

Should I post a trip report later, Teacher?
I love geeks... Cerebral sex is the best!!!
You need to find a musician and have some good aural sex!
You need to find a musician and have some good aural sex! Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Yes, Natalie, you need to find a musician....
thats the problem nowadays ...music! too much sax and violins!
UNPROTECTED SAX! The best kind!
Yes, Natalie, you need to find a musician.... Originally Posted by Damon Bradley
Mmmmm. Aural sex. Drummers are great at banging off stage, too.
Yes, Natalie, you need to find a musician.... Originally Posted by Damon Bradley

TFF!!!!

Spacemtn
Shouldn't hard to do..... It IS SXSW right?

Hey....drummers?... I can thump out wipeout on bongos....
not a musician, but you can play my rusty trombone.
It's interesting to see social perception of geek go from someone that used to get beat up in high school to someone that is creative, eccentric, savvy, or even having sexual allure. I have also noticed that more people acknowledge their traits that would be considered geeky.

Still, the need or want for a Survival Guide hints at a new social label or social awkwardness (from former reputation?). It will be even more interesting to see what the word evolves into, hopefully not something akin to Hispters.

not a musician, but you can play my rusty trombone. Originally Posted by knotty man
Classy.
It's interesting to see social perception of geek go from someone that used to get beat up in high school to someone that is creative, eccentric, savvy, or even having sexual allure. I have also noticed that more people acknowledge their traits that would be considered geeky.

Still, the need or want for a Survival Guide hints at a new social label or social awkwardness (from former reputation?). It will be even more interesting to see what the word evolves into, hopefully not something akin to Hispters. Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor
I'm attracted to nerdy guys. The naivety, lack of sexual prowess, and occasional social awkwardness are qualities that I find endearing. Geeks lack most of the qualities that are considered traditionally attractive, but I find that attractive too. Geeks are often nicer, less likely to be manipulative, and more simplistic towards dealing with relationships. Geeks probably still hold all the qualities that made them get beat up in high school, but the other side of that makes them "safe" to women.
I'm attracted to nerdy guys. The naivety, lack of sexual prowess, and occasional social awkwardness are qualities that I find endearing. Geeks lack most of the qualities that are considered traditionally attractive, but I find that attractive too. Geeks are often nicer, less likely to be manipulative, and more simplistic towards dealing with relationships. Geeks probably still hold all the qualities that made them get beat up in high school, but the other side of that makes them "safe" to women. Originally Posted by MaddietheCoed
I've gone from not speaking more than a few words of a language and having to adjust to an entirely new culture (and the attendant social awkwardness that come with such situations) to being self-assured. Add to that, racial stereotype (and the fact that I fit many of them), my career in technical field, interest in gadgets, technology, and gaming, I've always been a geek. Just not usually labeled on first impression. I do disagree with nicer and less likely to be manipulative. When people want something, it does not matter geek, jock, or whatever type, they can all be manipulative. I've had more than my share of having to deal with less than honest or manipulative geeks and nerds in games, collectibles, and women.
  • ztonk
  • 03-12-2011, 01:02 PM
In my continuing efforts to educate the Austin geek community, here is the link from yesterday's talk:

http://thetotalflirt.com/SXSEXY

There is a "Safer Sex Risk Assessment Chart" (PDF) that rates your likelihood of contracting something from an infected partner from various activities as well.

z