~ 2017-2018 San Antonio Spurs Superthread ~

Glad to see Manu return. Big reason our second unit was struggling. Him, Patty and Parker will kill most benches now back court wise.

Love Forbes, favorite of all the new guys coming up. Bertans too. Hope we keep them before others.

Now to get Gay and finally Leonard back. I hear both after all star weekend. And to really think about it, not a terrible season. 3rd place and tons of experience for our bench this year. They are getting a lot better. Much improved over last season.
I'm worried that the Spurs 50+ consecutive win seasons may be in jeopardy this year ..... but with Pop having to deal with Kawhi's injury and having to juggle so many roster combinations because of all the other injuries, I think he has done a masterful job of coaching and the top priority this season may be to just somehow get us into the playoffs ..... but as Dr Grey just stated, tons of playing time and experience for the bench guys can only make us a better ball club once we get everybody back .....
I think we'll get 50, only 19 wins away. =)
In other news around the league, Blake Griffin heading to Detroit in a trade.
Yeah I saw that this morning ..... and ex-Spur fan favorite Boban Marjanovic was part of the deal, going from Detroit to the Clippers ..... I wish we still had him, I know he loved playing here for Pop .....
We just need to pick up a solid PG and get rid of these rookies.
I'm thinking Kamba would be a solid pick up for us ��Lol
If Murray keeps averaging over 15 points and 10 rebounds, I'm ok with it, kid is only 20 yrs old. Him, Leonard and Green will be the best defensive backcourt in nba. Patty and Tony have been inconsistent all year as with Kyle Anderson, kinda dead weight, will be better on a second unit with Manu and Bertans. Been missing Leonard, Gay and Manu too much. I think we'll be fine when we have our whole roster back. Can always have your vets in the 4th quarter.

If you ask me, pop sat our guys on purpose so they could discover their game and learn to score. Only keeping Aldridge out there. It's working. Not complaining about where we are right now. Pop for coach of the year and Aldridge a solid MVP bet aside from maybe Curry, Kyrie and Harden.

Spurs play Denver tonight. Tons of cheap tickets for sale as with expensive ones. Take a lady with you and have fun after!
Haha sounds like you might get some tix Mr Grey lol.
It will be a blow out hopefully. I will be on stand by flipping between cavs and spurs game. All I hope for the future is Leonard stays and sticks it out with us.
What a game tonight! Thriller at the Center. Spurs by 2 down to the final buzzer come away with a W. LA with 30! What a night to be a Spurs fan!

I have no doubt Leonard sticking it out. They came out again today saying he's not going anywhere and shut down all trade offers that came in today, and issued a statement to stop incoming offers. Only rumors Pop and RC said last couple days. We shall have Gay in two weeks, and Kawhi maybe around that time or slightly after.

Rockets up next Thursday. Harden had 60 tonight in the NBA first 60 pt triple double in its history.
Maybe after the all star break he will make his return but that back court with Gay and LA is really nice to have. And indeed it was a very thrilling and a game I was watching at the edge of my seat
Poppovich? COACH OF THE YEAR? REALLY?

The team has won 1 - count 'em, ONE - trophy in the last TEN YEARS.

Pop's true colors are finally showing and he's said it all along: he's just a mediocre coach who got to ride the coat-tails of Dave Five-Oh and Duncan for most of his career. Now that he has this "mix" of players, he can't figure out what to do.

He benched Murray and put Mills a 2-guard to start earlier in the season. I believe Murray is in his option year so they are trying to figure out if this kid is gonna be worth the money going forward. Same with Forbes - option year. PLUS Leonard has that max contract coming. Way too much money they will have to cough up.

So it will end up being more of the same old story of the last 10 years. The teams Pop and Buford build are not - and probably have never been - to win titles; they are just built to "compete" and that's complete bullsh!t.

Look at what Forbes did in the summer league. He's been SCREAMING at Pop, saying, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO WHEN WE PLAY GOLDEN STATE! but that sumbitch is just too fucking stubborn. Again, keep him on the bench so they either don;t have to pay him the bigger bucks or just cut him down the road.

I could go on and on but I will close with THIS: remember what Duncan said he finally retired 2 years ago: IT JUST ISN'T FUN ANYMORE.
Most teams build to compete. Seen the movie Moneyball? Spurs have been known to go off this principle alone. Play the percentages. Eventually, you break through and win one. Not to mention, you will likely have winning seasons. You do need a good coach with a good system to plug the pieces into however. Sure, a lot of folks can say what they want and are entitled to their opinions of the guy and the organization. But the coaching staff put some amazing role players around our core of guys to get the jobs done (2014 was basically the Olympic all stars). We don't get that lucky anymore as we seem to be building out of the draft with young guys, but will see what happens. There is a reason all of Pop's assistants, staff and ex players (Kerr, Doc Rivers, Philly Head Coach, ATL head coach, Mike Brown, Danny Ferry, Sam Presti etc.) land head coaching jobs or GM positions in the NBA.

But a dude who gets LA to stay, while also signing another 3 year deal when he wanted out and traded. Also had to deal with Tony missing over 20 games, Manu over two weeks, Gay a couple months, and Kawhi almost the entire season while still maintaining 3rd seed in the West? You see that Minnesota and OKC have super teams, and we beat them. We beat Boston and Cleveland. Say what you want, but Pop has done well with the roster we have at his disposal. Most teams would tank if they lost Lebron, Westbrook, Kyrie, etc. Memphis has tanked with Conley out. Somehow, we manage to draft and coach players really well. I don't see any other coach going through as much adversity while playing well. Maybe Toronto if anyone else (as he's one of the All Star coaches), or Boston having lost Hayward for the year and still being tops out East. But Pop is a good candidate as much as those guys.

I do believe Forbes, Murray and Bertans will stick around. With Kawhi's super max deal, it's given as a bonus for sticking with the same franchise under the CBA agreement, so cap doesn't change for the excess cash they give him. Manu and Tony likely retiring very soon, I bet Manu after this year. And remember, we have the space to bring in another big name player after this season (due to Pau taking a lot less money to stay for 3 years), and we almost had Paul George in a trade while barely losing out on Chris Paul in free agency and Kyrie for a trade as well.

Rumors are Lebron wants to play with Pop (call me crazy right?). Seeing how both share very like mindedness on political standpoints, they are a good fit. I've been saying it since last year, but now articles have been coming out. Not saying it will happen, but is possible if he wants to win, even Stephen A, Brussard, Jalen, and a few others have said the same thing. But as the man in the last video says, it SHOULD happen.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/firs.../1149292611707

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMldR3kQ3P8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ClR5yn0TY
It will be interesting to see how the Spurs shape their roster next season .... 3 Spurs have player options to pick up their contracts for next season, Green ($10 mil), Gay ($8.82 mil), and Lauvergne ($1.65 mil) ..... if Manu decides to retire then he won't be owed his $2.5 mil, and Tony s finishing out a multi-year deal that paid him $15.45 mil this season, if the Spurs resign him I could see a 2 year deal at $8 to $10 mil or so per season ..... Kyle is on the last year of a deal that pays him $2.15 mil and he may or may not be back, he could get an offer like Marjanovic did with Detroit and maybe the Spurs don't match it ..... Forbes and Bertans contracts are up at season' end (at $1.31 each) and both have definitely earned a shot for at least one more year and better money ..... Lauvergne could be gone, too, just depends if he gets an offer I guess ..... and although Pau ($16 mil for the next two seasons) and Aldridge ($24 and $26 mil for the next 2 seasons) and Kawhi put quite a dent in the Spurs salaries, and like Dr. Grey stated with Kawhi's super max deal lurking around the corner, with the salary cap going up the Spurs could decide to keep everybody together, but if Bryn, Davis, and Danny, and Lauvergne leave, say Rudy retires and they somehow don't resign Tony and Kyle, then that leaves a good chunk of change to reshape their roster ..... is Lebron a serious possibility? ..... yes it SHOULD happen but bottom line I don't believe he's willing to take a 50% pay cut from his current salary, which is probably what it would take to fit him in here unless the team is totally gutted to make room for him ..... it's a nice dream but I don't think it happens because when it comes down to being the highest paid player in the NBA or playing in a city where he has the best chance at more championships, he takes the money over the championships .....
Players Spurs will pursue this upcoming off-season...

1. James
2. Paul George
3. Avery Bradley
4. Nikola Mirotic

All are real possibilities. I see Gay, Green, and Tony coming back in altered deals as its reported its been discussed. So pau deal doesn't really matter at this point. I can see Forbes and Bertans coming back also. Same contracts, especially if we sign someone. Spurs will get a big name like George or James. If not, then Bradley and Mirotic are real possibilities, and both of them at that.

Its pretty widely known James would leave Cleveland. Not sure about 50 percent reduced salary. Guy makes a killing on endorsements (which would be tax free for no state taxes) and would still get a max deal which may not be what he's getting now, but as he wins, will likely be more long term. Reducing his minutes here lengthens his career, and possibility of getting 3 more rings is likely with Pop, Kawhi and Aldridge. If not more. The legacy factor of being the greatest has to be appealing. Stars are pointing to james coming here. And all players would resign minimum deals if he does. No question. It would be amazing to see. With or without him, we are still contenders. If James doesn't, Paul George just might.

Really good post gauge. Only time will tell.
Spurs take on the Houston Rockets tonight! Hope we can be competitive for this high octane team. Let's just pray we can get the ball in the bucket and slow them "some". My eyes are solely on Murray and Forbes. And as always, Manu.