Local Texas red wines?

I'm looking for feedback on which Texas red wines (that have a good bite to them).
I like Cabs, Blends.

I would like to pick up a few bottles before I leave town.
Becker is a well known vineyard. You might look at Messina Hof GSM also.
Perdenales has some excellent reds also IMHO
Ditto on Messina Hof
Those larger producers are not as innovative.
William-Chris
Pedernales
Alexander
There are several in the Dripping Springs area. Bell Springs was pretty nice last time I was there
Just make sure not getting second press. I believe a number of local wineries only grow a portion of there own grapes. I’m under the impression, much of it is shipped in.
Just make sure not getting second press. I believe a number of local wineries only grow a portion of there own grapes. I’m under the impression, much of it is shipped in. Originally Posted by Hat/ball cap
A substantial amount of grapes or juice comes to this area from the high plains around Lubbock. This area is good for only certain varietals.
Very few wineries grow their grapes locally. Many send wine makers to the Lubbock area to oversee the growing process.
  • Mokoa
  • 01-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Not hobby related.

Moved to the proper forum.
Did a winery tour around Dripping Springs.

Bell Springs: good wines both reds and whites. Most of the juice comes from Washington state. Joined their wine club.

Duchman: very nice reds, really liked their Progression 2. I think most of their juice comes from somewhere else.

Hawks Shadow: NW of Dripping Springs and has the best view. Good wines but most expensive of the 3 wineries. A great place to go, sip wine and enjoy the beauty of the Hill Country.
Thanks fellas. I'm looking more for the smaller labels. Not the big wine producers in the state.

And I like a wine with a bite. And the labels that are unique. As the smaller wineries tend to put out some realky good wine.

I don't like Merlot. So nothing similar.
Any of the wineries make a Bourbon barreled Zin or Cab?

I'm a wine snob of sorts. It's got to be just right on the tip if my tongue, as well as going down. Wine to me is a lot like sex.
It has to have the umph! To it! Too smooth doesn't cut it for me.
Medina river winery near Castroville has bourbon barrel soaked stuff. Very enjoyable!
  • TxTo
  • 02-04-2019, 07:36 AM
Just seeing this thread. Sorry that I’m responding to a convo that went idle a couple of weeks ago.

I’m a local wine and beer lover. We are super fortunate to have great options that are all within 90 minutes of SA.

As for local wines, I’d second what curious said - Becker is excellent. If you’re willing to drive to Fredericksburg, their winery is beautiful. Barrons Creek is also first rate. I’m also a fan of Mesina Hof and 4.0 vineyards.
Thanks fellas. Appreciate all the input.
Woodrose Vineyards in Stonewall is one to consider.
Have you been to fat ass ranch & winery? A friend of mine told me i must go.. With a name like that i hope to see some ass too. ��