Branding

When I looked up a general google search on branding, I came up with marketing books suggesting different views and suggestions on product branding.

Not exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone interested in this subject or have experience? I find it to be ... ah, extreme. But an intense action. It's certainly a permanent statement. I'm also interested in the history of human branding as well as it being a sexual mark of some sort.

Thanks,
Elisabeth
EW--try Googling "human branding"
I will see if I can find the pics fro
the branding I did a while back. I think I told you about it.
I will see if I can find the pics fro
the branding I did a while back. I think I told you about it. Originally Posted by MasterTrucker
Yes, I do remember. I was musing about general stuff this evening and was thinking about it. Thought it would make an interesting topic especially since some of it is considered an art form and it's also used in literature.

But then there is also the fraternity stuff that is going on and the abuse of it as well.

Hugs,
Elisabeth
Shameless bump. MasterTrucker, could you please find those pictures for us? Also, this is becoming something that is being done with more frequency, I believe.

I would love to have more comments on this subject.

Thanks!
Elisabeth
Branding sounds extremely painful, for starters . . . But I fully understand there is a fine line between pleasure and pain, one worth exploring . . . As for creating an indelible mark, personally I think I'd stick to ink . . .
Are we talking about scarification? Is it the same? I have a significant amount of ink and have friends that have these branding marks? Or scarification? I'm not sure what the correct terms are? I went thru a very emotionally painful ordeal a while back and after it was over I considered getting a brand or scar?? It was to symbolize that I made it thru it. Maybe it is comparable to cutting ones self? That's another kettle of fish.
Are we talking about scarification? Is it the same? I have a significant amount of ink and have friends that have these branding marks? Or scarification? I'm not sure what the correct terms are? I went thru a very emotionally painful ordeal a while back and after it was over I considered getting a brand or scar?? It was to symbolize that I made it thru it. Maybe it is comparable to cutting ones self? That's another kettle of fish. Originally Posted by BritneyBangs
Britney,

I love it when you post in these parts! I don't believe that doing a symbolic "burning" of oneself (well, crap, it's certainly not symbolic but I cannot think of the word!) is comparable to cutting.

The few "cutters" that I've know have a psychological illness. And generally, they cannot stop and wish to. The one friend that I had who did it, well she was hospitalized, it was that serious.

Maybe this topic should be named "scarification". Because, without looking up the true meaning, I believe that is what I meant in some fashion.

I'll look it up now. What else is there to do on a rainy and easy going morning! (yeah, right!)

Hugs,
Elisabeth
Scarification can be from the use of a cauterization pen, but technically thats a branding. Scarification is typically from repeated cuttings in the same place, or the intentional re-injury of the original cutting so as to delay healing and causing a scar. Or through the introduction of a foreign material into the wound so as to cause a scar, such as cigar ashes.

Usually from a BDSM stand point someone else is doing the cutting, however I know some who have done the cutting themselves in a design. There is a difference between mentally ill self cutters and those creating designs.

Either branding or cutting with the intent of creating a scar is scarification, its just the delivery method. Despite common perception, most all brands and cutting heal up and disappear over time, depending on how you scar. Some types of scar will not heal or disappear.
Thanks MasterTrucker and Elizabeth Whispers. I guess I was comparing the two because when I went thru this traumatic event I wanted to get branded. I remembered reading articles about people with BPD wanting to cut themselves when they were in emotional pain. I didn't want to cut myself; I just wanted someone else to brand me. My way of making a bold statement! I am glad I opted for more ink instead. That would suck to go thru all that physical pain and have the damn brand or scar dissapear. Anywhoo...The ones I have seen mostly look really ugly imo. I did see a girl with her arm done like this in a spiral type pattern on her arm and I thought it was beautiful. I don't know why I have never asked my friends in the tattoo world about this.
True scarifiaction involves cutting the skin with a surgical knife or scapel.
http://freshpics.blogspot.com/2008/0...n-tattoos.html

There are differnt methods for branding, but branding normally involves a heated object pressed onto the skin.

Although since both processes result in scarring, branding is sometimes refered to as scarification.