Any book recommendations from readers?

I have been wanting to read an incredible book for some months now.

With the winter break coming up, I'll have some spare time to devote on a book.

I have used this site (http://whatshouldireadnext.com/) before and it's pretty neat, but I seek personal book recommendations from any readers here on ECCIE.

P.S. No 50 Shades of Grey

Edit: Literary tastes
Genres: Satire, Speculative fiction, Horror, Comic
What are your literary tastes?
  • savak
  • 12-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Hello Viviana, are you around?

I'm not a big reader, but I was a history major in college so I had to do alot of reading (oh the irony)

I don't know if you like History at all, I recommend Mao Zedong: A Life by Jonathan Spence. I had to read it in college, shortly after college it kept me hooked on Mao, and I read all these other books based on him, but none of them were the caliber of Spence's book.
I don't know if you like History at all, I recommend Mao Zedong: A Life by Jonathan Spence.[/QUOTE]

History isn't too much of my thing, but I don't mind a cool biography from time to time. Thanks.
I recently read this book by Douglas Adams, legendary author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, comes Shada, a Doctor Who story scripted for the television series Doctor Who, but never produced--and now, transformed into an original novel...
Most books I read are usually about zombies, super heroes and sci-fi (mostly Star Trek and Doctor Who)....
I have been wanting to read an incredible book for some months now.

With the winter break coming up, I'll have some spare time to devote on a book.

I have used this site (http://whatshouldireadnext.com/) before and it's pretty neat, but I seek personal book recommendations from any readers here on ECCIE.

P.S. No 50 Shades of Grey

Edit: Literary tastes
Genres: Satire, Speculative fiction, Horror, Comic Originally Posted by e_l traveler

I read a variety of things, but if you're into horror , Richard Laymon is (was) a good writer. One of his best books was "In the dark".

Here's a brief summary of the book that I found online

Small-town librarian Jane Kerry finds herself caught up in a mysterious game. As the game goes on, it requires more and more of Jane's strength and ingenuity, and pushes her into actions that she knows are crazy, immoral, or criminal. ...
"The family fang" is a good read... Funny and moving... We should have a book club for readers here... Not ECCIE sponsored of course!!
I'm grinding through the first 4 books of "A Song of Ice and Fire."

Totally worth it.
Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey if you like Sci-Fi Horror. Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly if you were a fan of the movie The Lincoln Lawyer and I just started Cinder, a futuristic rd-telling of Snow White.
Ill definately be paying close attn to this thread.
Ive been craving a good read
Nice range of book recommendations from everyone. Thanks for replying. I have ranked them from most interesting to least interesting to me. I'll try to get halfway through this list.

1. The Family Fang
2. I'll replace Shada with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
3. In the Dark
4. Cinder (it's based on Cinderella, not Snow White)
5. Mao Zedong: A Life
6. Leviathan Wakes
7. Gods of Guilt
I'm grinding through the first 4 books of "A Song of Ice and Fire."

Totally worth it. Originally Posted by oldtiger
I've read the first Game of Thrones book after getting hooked on the HBO series. However, I got lazy and then just decided to keep watching seasons 2 & 3 and not read the books.
I been reading zombie lit. Kind of 21st century noire. Got acouple good Tx authors including an sapd homicide detective named McKinney and an austin flake named Bowie ibarra.
I've read the first Game of Thrones book after getting hooked on the HBO series. However, I got lazy and then just decided to keep watching seasons 2 & 3 and not read the books. Originally Posted by e_l traveler
They are totally worth it, so much more detail than the series.
Nice range of book recommendations from everyone. Thanks for replying. I have ranked them from most interesting to least interesting to me. I'll try to get halfway through this list.

1. The Family Fang Originally Posted by e_l traveler
Oh goody!! My choice was of some interest to you... It's really well written and I hear that a movie is in the making!!

If you don't want to go out and buy a copy you can borrow mine... Of course that might require us to meet up for coffee or something.