Best luxury hotels in Berlin

Berlin is one of my favourite destinations with a combination of alternative lifestyle and luxury treats. Its diversity is very fascinating, there are not many locations like that. Lisboa is another one of these, and interestingly enough, many Berlin people love Lisboa and a great many Lisboetas fancy Berlin because of these reasons. Unfortunately the alternative lifestyle in Berlin decreases and big chains (clothing chains or restaurants) buy sport and properties (or rent them for outrageous prices) so its impossible for 1-person enterprises to put up with that competition, and slowly slowly it will (i think) loose its charm over time.... :-(

Here i found an interesting article of some luxury boutique hotels in Berlin. I simply love the idea of boutique hotels (some of them small) as opposed to the big anonymous hotel chains, makes me feel more "at home" and less "in a hotel far away from cosyness". The first one i frequently stay in, the others i did not know til i read that article. Any other suggestions? What are your favourite spots? What is important for you guys when staying in hotels (if you don`t couchsurf like i do when i am not "touring"....(lol)...)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...-hotels-berlin
I haven't been to Berlin and I haven't couchsurfed either - what's that like? Isn't that stressful and aren't you expected to be entertainment for a stranger in return for sleeping on a couch?

Isn't it dangerous for a woman?