another problem here- copying files to cds

I bought some blank cds today and I want to copy videos from my computer onto them but my computer won't read them. I have some cds that I have copied videos to from a different computer and those cds work fine but I don't understand why my computer won't read a blank cd. I need it to read them so I can copy videos there.

anyone know how I can fix this?
Ok, in no particular order-
-check that the disc drive is still being read, if not it may need to be mapped;
-are the discs new or cd-rw that have been wiped;
-are these new blank discs cd-r or cd-rw and what were the type of disc that were burned correctly on this machine the last time;
- go buy the same discs that the machine has successfully burned previously;
- go on line and do a little research on problems with your make and model of computer or the burning program that you are using.
- forgot to ask are you burning Video TS folders to a CD, they will only burn to DVD

Tough to trouble shoot from afar, but maybe one of these will work.
Good luck
  • Mokoa
  • 04-16-2011, 04:58 PM
In order for the computer to actually read the CD/DVD it would have to be a CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW that has already been formatted. If your are using a CD-R/DVD-R/DVD+R then you have to assemble all of the files you are going to put on it in a separate folder and then use CD/DVD burning software like Nero or Roxio to burn them onto the CD/DVD. I use a free program know as Imgburn. It is quite good.

To learn more about Imgburn go here...

Imgburn
the cds that I just bought are cd-r and when I put them in my computer and click on the drive it says "Please insert a disk into drive D:"

I have other cds(cd-r) that I put videos on and they work fine in my cd drive but they were burned on a different computer
genuisman, generally, you cannot do what you have described until there is something on the cd-r in your drive. What was mentioned above are good packages burning the disc but you can also use starburn to burn the images. One thing to remember is you need to make sure your computer's rw drive is -r compatiable, some are while others are +r compatiable.

Where you will be able to see the drive as blank is in the burning software, not within the OS level as it appears you are doing. Now If the drive only supports +r but you are using a -r format drive then that will be a problem and can be what you are running into.

Also, most video's only burn to a DVD but I admit, I have not tried to burn a video to a cd-r so I don't have first hand knowledge, just book knowledge.
  • Mokoa
  • 04-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes, blank CD-R's will be recognized by CD burning software as such. Windows will see the blank CD-R as empty removable media but it cannot use it like a flash drive or a floppy. Only the CD/DVD burning software is able to actually write to it.
every time I try to copy a video I click on the D drive and it says there is no cd in there but there is. It won't read it or acknowledge it. I'm probably missing something
There are pages of hits when you google the error in quotes.