Realignment: The Super Conferece

• oden
  • 06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Just what schools would provide the best of the best rivalries in our nation that would include Baseball, Basketball and Football? Let's include everyone as we will always have to assume some schools will always fudge academically and in the real world you have to deal with it.

Who would you like to see play each other every year?
Just what schools would provide the best of the best rivalries in our nation that would include Baseball, Basketball and Football? Let's include everyone as we will always have to assume some schools will always fudge academically and in the real world you have to deal with it.

Who would you like to see play each other every year? Originally Posted by oden
Not sure what's D&T about this but... based on those three sports... the college teams that I'd like to see play each other every year.

USC v. UCLA
UTX v. LSU
GA v. FL
FL v. FSU
NC v. NCST
Harvard v. Yale

I assume this has to do with all the ink about the implosion of the Big-12 conference. Initially, I was bothered by the reports. Upon reflection...[shoulder shrug]...eh. "Big Time" college athletics has already done so much to ruin the game that I have a hard time getting upset about this.
I would expect to see UT Austin, Nebraska, TA&M, OU and Notre Dame to move into the Big 10 with Ohio State, Michigan and the like. This is all about money and the Big 12 was cutting its own throat by giving 8 MM per game while the Big 10 gives 22 MM per game for NCAA football. The rest of the Big 12 will get offers but I don't have a feel for programs like Mizzou, KState or UofK but they will be picked up by others.... time and tide will tell on this.

Now I am just spitballing here but I expect with Colorado bailing on the Big 12 for Pac-10 things are going to accelerate in this direction soon.
If they want me to watch, the best think that they could do would be put back the old Southwest Conference. I stopped paying attention when U.T. started playing a bunch of out of state teams from way off. Put them in the Big 10 with a bunch of Yankee schools would be sacrilege.
......the best think that they could do would be put back the old Southwest Conference. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
That will NEVER happen.

The SWC was composed only of teams from Texas, except for Arkansas. Texas always treated Arkansas as a step child, ESPECIALLY when it came to divvying up the money.

The Super Conference now is the SEC.
The Super Conference now is the SEC. Originally Posted by Mac92451
Word!
Can anyone tell me what was the impetus for all this?
Money
Can anyone tell me what was the impetus for all this? Originally Posted by Skip_8
Money Originally Posted by PhantomofTheOpera
I would expect to see UT Austin, Nebraska, TA&M, OU and Notre Dame to move into the Big 10 with Ohio State, Michigan and the like. This is all about money and the Big 12 was cutting its own throat by giving 8 MM per game while the Big 10 gives 22 MM per game for NCAA football. The rest of the Big 12 will get offers but I don't have a feel for programs like Mizzou, KState or UofK but they will be picked up by others.... time and tide will tell on this.

Now I am just spitballing here but I expect with Colorado bailing on the Big 12 for Pac-10 things are going to accelerate in this direction soon. Originally Posted by PhantomofTheOpera
Yep it is all about the benjamins...but your numbers are a little off...The $22m number is the annual number that comes from the B10 TV Network.

I'm not sure where the 8m number comes from but it certainly isn't per game

The SEC's deal is the second richest at like $17-18m/year with Disney/ESPN

If they want me to watch, the best think that they could do would be put back the old Southwest Conference. I stopped paying attention when U.T. started playing a bunch of out of state teams from way off. Put them in the Big 10 with a bunch of Yankee schools would be sacrilege. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
now we got TTH the Texas Patriot

They've had a good run but these things are cyclical
Yes, we all know it's about the money, not the kids.

However, I would like to know how the whole process got started. Did the PAC-10 approach some teams and say come over here or was there an understanding that everyone wants a realignment so there can an undisputed champion as well?
Yes, we all know it's about the money, not the kids.

However, I would like to know how the whole process got started. Did the PAC-10 approach some teams and say come over here or was there an understanding that everyone wants a realignment so there can an undisputed champion as well? Originally Posted by Skip_8
Forgive the simplistic answer, but when you were a kid did you ever play musical chairs? You know, when the music stops somebody is left standing without a chair.

The Big10 made some overtures. The other conferences have taken it seriously and the member schools don't want to be the kid without the chair.
That will NEVER happen.

The SWC was composed only of teams from Texas, except for Arkansas. Texas always treated Arkansas as a step child, ESPECIALLY when it came to divvying up the money.

The Super Conference now is the SEC.
Originally Posted by Mac92451
BS. Money in the SWC was split evenly among all the teams.

Who would you like to see play each other every year? Originally Posted by oden

Football

UT / OU
Tenn / Alabama
Florida / Florida St
Mich / Ohio St
ND / USC (though not so much now …)
Boise St / Anybody (BS never gets the respect they have earned)
Army / Navy(tell me you don’t get just a little emotional when the Cadets and Midshipmen march out on the field)
Alabama / LSU

Basketball

Duke / NC
Kansas / Duke
Georgetown / Conn
Really .. .any match from the Big East or ACC
Gonzaga / Anybody(another case of no respect that has been earned)

Realignment … it’s all about the $$
That will NEVER happen.

Not for long.
This is a moot discussion. The SEC is already a super conference--especially when you look at the entire field of sports--heck I think they sent 3 teams to the Fastpitch World Series, and another 2 should have gone, if they didn't play each other in the super regional.

My heart will always belong to the MAC, but my brain knows the SEC is the best athletic conference. . .period.