Computer crimes

Jon:
Can you refresh us all about what can happen, criminally, or from a civil liability point, if computers or on-line web sites are hacked, with information corrupted or stolen, to the extent that business income is lost, or that monetary damages are incurred? If you could include comments on mis-using data from a stolen/lost smart phone, I would think would be of interest also. Although this activity may not meet Federal criteria, I think board members would be interested in high-lights of laws from various states. If you can comment on laws applicable to a couple states about where the Kansas River ends, I’ll build you a soap box. If you quote extensively from Texas law, it would be a very small soap box. Please close with a bit of generic advice if this type of situation were to damage folks that happen to be board members.
1st I am not a lawyer but hacking as you described it is FEDERAL I believe. cyber crimes are some of the more interesting crimes out there mainly because it is a new and evolving area of criminal activity.
1st I am not a lawyer but hacking as you described it is FEDERAL I believe. cyber crimes are some of the more interesting crimes out there mainly because it is a new and evolving area of criminal activity. Originally Posted by Mr. GPop
Yes except that for Federal, certain damage limits needs to be exceeded and/or certain types of networks/machines need to be hacked. Thus the question of how things that might impact the board members here are probably state items which would be nice to get an update on.
Jon:
Can you refresh us all about what can happen, criminally, or from a civil liability point, if computers or on-line web sites are hacked, with information corrupted or stolen, to the extent that business income is lost, or that monetary damages are incurred? If you could include comments on mis-using data from a stolen/lost smart phone, I would think would be of interest also. Although this activity may not meet Federal criteria, I think board members would be interested in high-lights of laws from various states. If you can comment on laws applicable to a couple states about where the Kansas River ends, I’ll build you a soap box. If you quote extensively from Texas law, it would be a very small soap box. Please close with a bit of generic advice if this type of situation were to damage folks that happen to be board members. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
You're asking me to write a survey article on state and federal criminal penalties for computer hacking, PLUS a discussion on civil liability for hacking. My first response is, why?, my second response is, this topic doesn't have anything directly to do with The Hobby, and my final response is, no thanks. If you want to ask a question or narrow the topic, I might give a shot at writing. But what you're talking about is too broad.
+1 for Jon.
Way off topic for this forum.
If you're truly interested, call your local bar association and ask for a referral for someone who handles Intellectual Property and White Collar criminal law. Or find someone at a local law school with an interest in your scenario and PAY them to research this for you.

Actually, if the price is right...I might be interested...:-)
Thx Mynx,
But, I'm good actually. A few midwest gals have had their non-board websites attacked, deleted, etc. last few months and I thought Jon might like to present a synopsis on what could happen to those az*holes if someone did go after them “legally".
Thx Mynx,
But, I'm good actually. A few midwest gals have had their non-board websites attacked, deleted, etc. last few months and I thought Jon might like to present a synopsis on what could happen to those az*holes if someone did go after them “legally".
Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
You're welcome. I just want to add that SJ was, in my opinion, very kind in underplaying the actual legal complexity of your question. He stated it succinctly, but didn't call you out on the hours of legal research (and WestLaw isn't free for most attorneys!) your question(s) required. So, in my opinion, he's in no way "brushing you off."

I actually do think it's an interesting legal situation you raise, just complex.
Mynx, I want to have sex with your brain. And fingers.
Mynx, I want to have sex with your brain. And fingers. Originally Posted by notanewbie
If you add my mouth you have a deal!
Ding Ding Ding!
  • Seedy
  • 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
I have been hacked, and the perp, admitted he works for the nsa. I do believe he can be fucked up the ass with a freshly creosoted railroad tie.