Is a Raffle ticket for Hooker time illegal?

Part of the entry fee for dudes at a meet and greet gets you a raffle ticket for time with a lady. Am I being paranoid or would that be grounds for an arrest? (CT State law would apply.)
Not being from the great state of CT, but hope to travel there some day,

I would say-
under the most broad interpretation of laws, it is illegal to pay $ for sexual services. You knew this when you paid for/received the Raffle ticket, so you had an expectation of possibly receiving an illegal service. So the ticket holder has criminal exposure.;

the people organizing the event and facilitating the exchange of $ for a raffle ticket are facilitating an illegal activity; ie pimping.;

Look, as one becomes an adult with some life experiences, they should know that there are no loop holes for activities related to this world of ours. With the exception of Nevada. LOL!

Part of the entry fee for dudes at a meet and greet gets you a raffle ticket for time with a lady. Am I being paranoid or would that be grounds for an arrest? (CT State law would apply.) Originally Posted by straightshooter30
Another loophole is to go to a sane country with rational laws
Your Paying Money & Getting A Free Ticket To Fuck So My Guess Is Yes..
Part of the entry fee for dudes at a meet and greet gets you a raffle ticket for time with a lady. Am I being paranoid or would that be grounds for an arrest? (CT State law would apply.) Originally Posted by straightshooter30
Wouldn't the winning raffle ticket holder actually have to use the ticket with a provider to be subject to arrest, and wouldn't the police have to have proof of prostitution?

Otherwise, it seems the raffle ticket is just a piece of paper and time with a lady is just that, time.
In most jurisdictions, the elements of prostitution are

1) the offer of money for sex, or

2) the offer of sex for money

There must be an "actor" on either ... meaning a real person. One who makes the offer and the other who receives the offer.

So, in the instance cited by the OP, at the "moment" it looks like there is an actor on both ends. But, imo, it will take a Court to make the determination that a raffle ticket to win "time with a lady" is actually an offer of sex for money.

I make no assumptions in this matter. But I do assume that if LE discovers the raffle ticket offers, LE may simply decide to bust as many people involved as LE can bust and let the courts sort it out.

If my assumption about LE is correct, my further assumption is that the local media will report the matter and quite likely include the name(s) of all involved or at least all who are arrested.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of the hypothetical:

Albert organizes a social. Attendees will pay an admission fee. Part of the fees collected will go to Zelda, a provider, for one hour of provider time. Each attendee who pays the admission fee will have one chance to use the hour with Zelda. Bob, Charlie, and Doug all pay the fee and know they are buying a chance to spend an hour with Zelda, who they all know is a provider.

What crimes may have been committed?

I practice law in Texas, so I'm no authority on Connecticut law. But I've read the Connecticut prostitution statutes, which are found here:

Connecticut Penal Code, Chapter 952

(The following analysis assumes Zelda is not a minor.)

The Connecticut plain-vanilla (that is, unaggravated) prostitution law states:

Sec. 53a-82. Prostitution: Class A misdemeanor.
(a) A person sixteen years of age or older is guilty of prostitution when such person engages or agrees or offers to engage in sexual conduct with another person in return for a fee.
This statute is similar to the Texas law, except there is no statement regarding solicitation (i.e., public prostitution). Under the Connecticut law, a person can commit the offense of prostitution in any of three ways:

(1) engaging in sexual conduct for a fee;
(2) agreeing to engage in sexual conduct for a fee; or
(3) offering to engage in sexual conduct for a fee.

Could Bob, Charlie, and Doug, the social attendees, be found guilty of prostitution? Yes, I think, because they each agreed to engage in sexual conduct for a fee. Of course, if the "winner" actually engages in sexual conduct with Zelda, he could also be guilty of the first type of prostitution -- that is, engaging in sexual conduct for a fee.

Bob, Charlie, and Doug could also be convicted of the offense of patronizing a prostitute (Sec. 53a-83) upon proof that any of them paid Albert "pursuant to an understanding that in return" for the admission fee Zelda "will engage in sexual conduct with him."

It doesn't matter that Albert paid Zelda, not Bob, Charlie, or Doug. The offense doesn't require proof that the defendant paid a fee -- only that there was an agreement consisting of a fee for sex. It doesn't matter who pays the fee.

Zelda could also be convicted of prostitution, since she also agreed to engage in sexual conduct for a fee. Also, if she engages in sexual conduct, she could also be found guilty of the first type of prostitution.

Plain-vanilla prostitution is a Class A misdemeanor in Connecticut, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2,000 fine.

The most problematic conduct is Albert's. He could be convicted of promoting prostitution, which is a felony in Connecticut. Here are the relevant statutes:

Sec. 53a-85. Promoting prostitution: Definitions.
The following definitions are applicable to sections 53a-86 to 53a-89, inclusive:
(1) A person "advances prostitution" when, acting other than as a prostitute or as a patron thereof, he knowingly causes or aids a person to commit or engage in prostitution, procures or solicits patrons for prostitution, provides persons or premises for prostitution purposes, operates or assists in the operation of a house of prostitution or a prostitution enterprise, or engages in any other conduct designed to institute, aid or facilitate an act or enterprise of prostitution.
(2) A person "profits from prostitution" when acting other than as a prostitute receiving compensation for personally rendered prostitution services, he accepts or receives money or other property pursuant to an agreement or understanding with any person whereby he participates or is to participate in the proceeds of prostitution activity.

Sec. 53a-88. Promoting prostitution in the third degree: Class D felony.
(a) A person is guilty of promoting prostitution in the third degree when he knowingly advances or profits from prostitution.
(b) Promoting prostitution in the third degree is a class D felony.
The State could certainly argue that Albert is guilty of the offense of promoting prostitution by "knowingly advancing" prostitution. If Albert profits from the social, he could be found guilty for that reason, too.

A Class D felony in Connecticut is punishable by one to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

btw, no savvy lawyer would ever argue the "my client was only buying time" defense. It's stupid and it would only piss off the trier of fact, be it a jury or judge. I realize every guy who thinks of this defense considers himself a genius, but I assure you that you're not -- you're just someone who doesn't understand the way the criminal justice system operates.

However, I might defend Bob, Charlie, or Doug by arguing attenuation -- that is, a mere chance at spending the hour with Zelda doesn't meet the elements of the offense.
Thanks to all, and particularly SJ for the detailed, well researched answer!

(...and to Dorthy for her succinct 'Einstein-Like answer!) ;-)
Actually, holding a "raffle" in most states is only legal for non-profits. And then they are subject to rules and regulations.