Will people and governments ever learn?

October, the first snow storms have already hit the USA. Some think its pretty (I do, but I don't have to go through them for work or so), some are cursing their way through it, everyone has seen the beautiful pictures it can provide in a winter landscape.
But every time, over and over again, every year again I hear the same message all over the news.
Millions of people out of power.
When will the time come that someone realizes that snow storms and above ground power lines don't interact very well?
I wonder what would be cheaper, to put them underground, or repair them 10 times in 1 year and every year in the past and in the future?
Wouldn't that be a nice job creating opportunity? Put all the power lines underground? Oh shit, then you wouldn't need the repair crews anymore but it sure would be a lot more convenient for millions of people.
Its cheaper to run the lines above ground. It always pisses me off that the weather is surprise for the utilities.
governments are people. Stupid people but still people.
What does this have to do with government? Are you suggesting that government mandate that power companies place lines underground? I thought all you right wingers want less government regulation, not more?
What does this have to do with government? Are you suggesting that government mandate that power companies place lines underground? I thought all you right wingers want less government regulation, not more? Originally Posted by TexTushHog
LMAO..

Good one TTH..!

Isn't it the way that big companies, corporations and even government (especially in America) do things? Easier to pay for the cheap short term fix than pay the initial expensive cost to save money long term down the road. We do this with health care, we do this with just about everything.

So I guess in answer to the OP's question I don't think anyone will learn because it is all about money, cutting costs, and not seeing the bigger picture. It is about how much money can we save now, when instead it should be how much money can we save long term if we pony up now?
Actually, TTH, you are right on this one. Once the utilities get tired of replacing lines, they will find a better way. No need to get government further involved with utilities.
Utilities put lines above ground because they can do it faster and cheaper and with less interference from other agencies like a competing gas companiy, or phone company. Also, going underground usually requires digging up roads, then repairing which is sometimes blocked by municipalities. Plus, in most states, the utility has to get permission to spend money from a Public Service Commission. The more they spend, the more the next rate hike will be and these Commissions are very political so they usually make the utility do it the cheapest way possible.
What does this have to do with government? Are you suggesting that government mandate that power companies place lines underground? I thought all you right wingers want less government regulation, not more? Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Quite surprised you call me a right winger, that's a mistake I suppose? And yes I think if you want to handle a problem like this over many states, Government could stimulate it as a job creation project.
It would endanger the "Spotted Groundhog".
Hey, at least it's "shovel ready."
Hey, at least it's "shovel ready." Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Maybe after a 10 year $500 billion environmental impact study is done.