Limewire Shut Down

I thought it was temporary but it looks 'permanent.' The bittorrent client part of the software still appears to work...but the 'file search' and download part doesn't...

Anybody have any suggestions for a replacement?
Vuze and thepiratebay.com is what I use for watching HBO and Showtime shows. It works extremely well for me.
Vuze and thepiratebay.com is what I use for watching HBO and Showtime shows. It works extremely well for me. Originally Posted by Adrielle

You're still able to use piratebay? I thought they were canned a while ago. I need to go check. Thanks for the info!
What sort of content are you looking for?
Mp3s. The ability to download torrents (movies, albums, etc) is still functioning. The ability to search for and dl mp3s (and various 'one of' files) is not.
Mp3s. The ability to download torrents (movies, albums, etc) is still functioning. The ability to search for and dl mp3s (and various 'one of' files) is not. Originally Posted by gnadfly
I have over 12,000 and I know how to rip em out of a streaming video.

My long fast rule about computers and content:
If it plays out of my speakers, or displays on my scree, I can save it
Limewire used to be my baby! Ugh. What now?
Yessir, I'm a fan of theirs. Granted, the only thing I ever download are occasional episodes of Dexter and Boardwalk Empire, but they work well for me.

You're still able to use piratebay? I thought they were canned a while ago. I need to go check. Thanks for the info! Originally Posted by AKA Wayne
mp3 rocket pro is good for music
Soul Seek is great. Especially for whole albums. Like limewire you used to hunt for each song. with soulseek, just type in artist name and album. Ive used it for years and it is safe
the best client is Utorrent.....

some of the best/better sites to use that have no registration are:
demonoid.com; thepiratebay.org; and a couple of others that i use...
those have all kinds of content but you just need to watch out for the 'fake' files esp if you want softwarez...

good one for movies/shows/etc(full dvds) is thedvdclub.org .. this is a registration site
Frostwire uses same network but is based offshore
Classic p2p services, like Limewire, are dangerous at best to use, as you're DLing DIRECTLY from another computer, and that computer could be anyones, from your neighbors all the way to Mark Ishikawa, the owner of BayTSP, one of the biggest anti-piracy Internet security firms in the world. The best "off the shelf" protection for those wanting to DL their fave stuff from free sources, such as PirateBay (side note here on TPB: They're not centrally located anymore and have multiple backups internationally, meaning they can't be brought down for any length of time. I recall the last legal attempt resulted in them being shut down for a total of a day and a half.) would be to use a true Torrent Program, such as Vuze (which is one of the most flexible torrent clients out there) or the actual BitTorrent client. Instead of DLing the full file from one source, which is easily traceable, you're DLing from multiple sources, and only a fragment of the whole file from every person offering the seed. Tracking through the torrent protocol is way more difficult than p2p, and, and the overall speed for DLs is way quicker

Bottom line? Limewire should have died years ago, but for some strange reason, it hung in there... I say let it die quietly. If people want to DL music and whatnot, they're going to and there's nothing to stop it from happening.
I prefer to avoid dealing with BS and use ITunes. If I were an artist, I would want to be paid and not have people just download it for free...

sixx