State Police destroy womans home, ram it with armored vehicle, shot it full of holes (pending lawsuit)

The Patriot News article

Even though Thompson consented to a search of her home, the police acted in "a melodramatic and exaggerated manner as though they were conducting a military attack against an armed an entrenched enemy," the suit states.

Police didn't have a search warrant when they first arrived at the Thompson house, but later secured one by failing to tell the district judge who issued it that, among other things, Michelle Thompson had already consented to a search, Laguna said.

More info, read the linked article...
Thats fucked up. At least they didn't shoot the turtle.
Yet another out-of-control police department on steroids.

I like this quote: "The police kicked holes in the walls, Thompson claims, and ruined decorations and personal belongings."

They were looking for a full grown man, so why were they breaking decorations and kicking holes in walls. Did they think he was hiding inside a wall? Did they think he was hiding inside a picture frame or a Hummel figurine?

This raid looks like nothing but pure intimidation. They were sending this guy a message. There is more to this story.
Shit happens.

I like this quote: "The police kicked holes in the walls, Thompson claims, and ruined decorations and personal belongings."

They were looking for a full grown man, so why were they breaking decorations and kicking holes in walls. Did they think he was hiding inside a wall? Did they think he was hiding inside a picture frame or a Hummel figurine?

This raid looks like nothing but pure intimidation. They were sending this guy a message. There is more to this story. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Might get lucky and find something in the wall not in the search warrant, just my assumption!
Might get lucky and find something in the wall not in the search warrant, just my assumption! Originally Posted by jane2012
But the search warrant doesn't give them the authority to kick in walls.

If they are looking for a grown man, they can only open or enter spaces big enough to hide a man. They cannot go on a fishing expedition. They cannot force open a lock box for example, or go rummaging through sock drawers or cutting open sofas.
  • Laz
  • 09-01-2013, 09:12 PM
This raid looks like nothing but pure intimidation. They were sending this guy a message. There is more to this story. Originally Posted by ExNYer
That was my thought also. However, I do not like the idea of the police being abusive to people that are not the person that they are looking for in order to send a message. Property damage of this nature that has no valid purpose should not be allowed and the city should have to pay for the damage. That is the only way a government official will care and then only if that official has to win an election to keep their job. If their actions have no impact on them personally many officials will be indifferent to the public they serve.

I know, it was like they were looking for something else isn't it? She pleaded with them while they were there to let her make a call, or let them make a call to the attorney who knew where her husband was. As she said they got all "melodramatic" and just started breaking stuff. But to ram her home??
May I give you a little history lesson?

In 1863 during the Civil War a militia approached the house of Dr. Samuels. This mililia was made up of a collection of local law enforcement, some federal actors, and mostly locally self appointed law enforcement people. They wanted information about some local youths who were causing trouble and believed (correctly) that the stepsons of the good doctor were involved. He was unarmed and working in his garden when they approached. The militia roughly handled the doctor and threatened him with death. He refused to cooperate except to say that he knew nothing about any raiders.

At one point, someone produced a rope. A slip knot was tied into the rope and the loop placed around the neck of the doctor. In front of his small children the doctor was dragged to a nearby tree and hung. Not a drop and snap your neck hanging but a pull em up and let them suffocate hanging. When the doctor was close to death they dropped him to the ground. After some more questioning, he was pulled back up. This continued for some time until the militia realized the that doctor was unable to respond. They left him lying in the dirt as they left the private property. The doctor never fully recovered. His step sons went on to exact some vengeance on the local militia as Frank and Jesse James,

This was over 150 years ago but it became the standard practice to hang someone like this to get information. Many died during the interrogation. Local law enforcement defended the practice and the federals turned a blind eye. The result was men who did not lay down their arms when the war ended.
May I give you a little history lesson?

In 1863 during the Civil War a militia approached the house of Dr. Samuels. This mililia was made up of a collection of local law enforcement, some federal actors, and mostly locally self appointed law enforcement people. They wanted information about some local youths who were causing trouble and believed (correctly) that the stepsons of the good doctor were involved. He was unarmed and working in his garden when they approached. The militia roughly handled the doctor and threatened him with death. He refused to cooperate except to say that he knew nothing about any raiders.

At one point, someone produced a rope. A slip knot was tied into the rope and the loop placed around the neck of the doctor. In front of his small children the doctor was dragged to a nearby tree and hung. Not a drop and snap your neck hanging but a pull em up and let them suffocate hanging. When the doctor was close to death they dropped him to the ground. After some more questioning, he was pulled back up. This continued for some time until the militia realized the that doctor was unable to respond. They left him lying in the dirt as they left the private property. The doctor never fully recovered. His step sons went on to exact some vengeance on the local militia as Frank and Jesse James,

This was over 150 years ago but it became the standard practice to hang someone like this to get information. Many died during the interrogation. Local law enforcement defended the practice and the federals turned a blind eye. The result was men who did not lay down their arms when the war ended. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

Interesting.. so what exactly are you saying? That the US citizens should eventually fight back?
does that lady have two step sons?
The house made a move on the cops. The step stones have sworn revenge.
The police seem to be escalating. Their mistakes are getting bigger, their firepower is increasing and they are becoming less afraid of using it. What will make them stop or get their minds right again?
The house made a move on the cops. The step stones have sworn revenge. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Maybe it was a bed-ridden 95 year old house that attacked the cops with a cane?

Don't believe what the media says about the house. I'm sure the cops had a reason. Remember George Zimmerman.