OK, Is Anyone Else Getting Sappy With Old Age

Up until about 5 years ago, no amount of sappy experience really affected me emotionally. From weddings to funerals, birthday parties to christenings, I sat through them all without emotion. And I generally looked down my nose at those who did break or tear up.

It all seemed to change for me about 5 years ago...at least that's when I think I first noticed it. It seems like the littlest thing has me tearing up or crying like a baby. I see movies that do that...even the 2nd and 3rd times I see them and know what is going to happen...it still happens.

The littlest thing will trigger my tear ducts. It seems like they go into overdrive. It seems like my emotions are fairly raw most of the time. Even when I am in normal conversation, it doesn't take much.

Like I said above, I've spent most of my approximately 60 years being unemotional in most situations, only to be faced with this now. I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.
You are getting old Dude!
Nope.
just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Can't say that I am. But don't worry about it. I hear chicks dig that sh*t.
Perhaps a new avatar for DG as well.
To the thread starter: nope

MA: Looking forward to seeing that movie but avatar stays
I think it's actually pretty normal, studor. I am NOT going to say anything about getting old or making any wise cracks because you ask a serious question.

Men and women go through hormonal changes at different times in their lives and it just happens. I seem to go through spells. One time I get VERY emotional and at a different time, nothing seems to affect me.

I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other unless you start to feel ill or see signs of depression. I don't see you there now by the way you describe things.

Just accept the fact that you are a sensitive guy now and remember what Rudyard said: "Chicks DO dig that sh*t"!
To a point of course.
Nah, I've always been a sap.
Well, okay, to a point.
I think it's common as you get older. Part of it, I suspect, if that you become more aware of how fleeting out time here on this mortal coil actually is. Plus, to borrow a phrase, "the sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older -- shorter of breath and one day closer to death." You know that the bell also tolls for you. You've heard the angle feathers. You know that you are soon (relatively speaking) to join the choir invisible, etc.
Well put TTH.

I don't think its a bad thing. My example; Your first child, you are sorta overwhelmed, a bit nervous, you probably are busting your butt at work, traveling, time flies by. Now, along comes your first grandchild, whole different set of emotions because hopefully you have time and experience on your side
  • WTF
  • 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
That's what I have to look foreward to?

I'm putting a buy in for KMB before you fella's tear up on us

Now, along comes your first grandchild, whole different set of emotions because hopefully you have time and experience on your side Originally Posted by Judge Smails
I would think its more like you can hand them back.
I was a blubbering mess when our cat of 13 years had to be put to sleep (renal failure) two weeks. I officially became a sap (happily). I still miss the kitty around the house. The only thing I haven't missed is bringing the clean litter in the house and hoofing out the old. I still picture her in those final moments. [sigh] She was a sweet and good kitty. [sigh again]

And yes, you can hand back the grandkid, not that you want to.