"Anonymous" cell phone use?

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to buy unlocked cell phones for exclusive hobby use. Ideally the phone/number would be in the name of whoever made the original purchase?

I have looked on the web and it seems like I mainly find people talking about jailbreaking and iPhone. I just want a cheap flip phone, I can add minutes w/ a card and keep some degree of privacy?

I appreciate any suggestions/tips. I don't know if this is best place for this post; if there is better, I would as moderator to move it for me.

Thanks.
Do you really care about unlocked?

Buy a cheapo prepaid phone from Walmart, 7-11, etc. Don't give any ID.

Many prepaid phones can be topped up with cards bought at 7-11, Walmart, and other places.

Many of them require you to activate it from an existing phone or computer, so there's some traceability there. Decide how much effort you want to take to keep there from being some sort of tracing there.

Make up a name, home address, etc. and write it down in case you need it later.

Don't expect too much protection. The numbers you call or get called by can give away hints. The cell companies also triangulate your position or use GPS to figure out where you are on most phones these days.

Be really careful about ladies who want to do everything via text. The texts get saved in the phone company records and can be looked up after the fact.

Phone numbers called are saved, but records of the voice calls are probably not recorded until/unless someone decides to investigate you.
  • Loxly
  • 10-27-2013, 08:04 PM
You could activate the phone from a public PC. Like in a library. If you purchase through Radio Shack they almost always have a PC on the floor you could use as well.

There's now a phone that combines a cell with a medical alert. Just in case you get mugged.
Buy a old TMobile phone that is text friendly. Buy a prepaid card at the TMobile store with $20 or so, pay cash give a fake name and you are set to go. A good choice if you are not using the phone a lot.

I believe you can do the same with AT&T