What's Up With The Sweet Tea In NWA?

I'm not one to complain, especially about a place I enjoy visiting so much. Northwest Arkansas has become like a second home to me, but there's just one problem.

I went to lunch one day and ordered a sweet tea. The server came back and sat the glass down. I took one sip and thought "WTF" this is NOT sweet tea. I was too nice to say anything and suffered through it anyway because I knew it wasn't the server's fault that her employers have terrible taste in tea. Apparently it had "passion fruit" in it. Needless to say, I'm not a fan, but I figured this was an isolated incident.

The next evening I went out to dinner and once again, ordered sweet tea. The server brings it to me and when I tried it, I realized it was nothing more than unsweetened tea with sugar crystals sunk to the bottom. Isn't the whole point of sweet tea that the sugar dissolves while it's hot, before it's put on ice?? I mean I barely passed chemistry, but I know that much.

Where does a girl have to go to get some decent sweet tea up there? I'm not above bottling my own and bringing it next time!
The tea at my house is sweet!!! With you here it would be down right intoxicating for me!!!!!!!!!
  • kman
  • 11-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Its hard to find brewed sweet tea anymore in a restaurant
The little mom and pop places have pretty good sweet tea. But you are so right. It's a southern state! Shame! Shame!
  • my454
  • 11-07-2016, 11:52 AM
McAlister's has about the best here in NWA in my opinion
The tea at my house is sweet!!! With you here it would be down right intoxicating for me!!!!!!!!! Originally Posted by WMJ4657
The only thing that could make it better would be a warm summer night

Its hard to find brewed sweet tea anymore in a restaurant Originally Posted by kman
The little mom and pop places have pretty good sweet tea. But you are so right. It's a southern state! Shame! Shame! Originally Posted by photobill
Yes, it is. An absolute shame.

McAlister's has about the best here in NWA in my opinion Originally Posted by my454
I will have to try it next time!
  • BK
  • 11-07-2016, 03:43 PM
I would venture more than half the population up there isn't a native of the state or the south for that matter. Can't blame carpet baggers for not knowing how to make real sweet tea. The more top place to retire/work/etc list it keeps making in national mags/articles..it will continue to be converted to a non southern place. Heck they have a whole city of retirement yankees up there.
Yep, you're too close to Missouri and there's too many transplants.

Reminds me of the tea at PF Chang's with flavor added. Disgusting!
I've been trying my hand at making my own sweet tea... I found a recipe from Red Diamond, and it tastes almost exactly the same when I make it!

https://www.facebook.com/reddiamond/...51379418076027
McAllister was the best for many years. Now it's Cains Chicken. Best sweet tea in NWA.

One in Fayetteville on Milsap and another in Rogers on walnut. Not sure if anymore