How to tell if its a scam??

I have been scammed once before when I put a deposit on a puppy about 7 months ago..

I just found the dog I want. 2 week old english bulldog. I am ready to put my deposit on it today. But how can I tell if it is a scam??? I google searched the kennel name, the number and everything.. they LOOK legit.. but so did the people that ripped me off. Someone please help if you know anything about researching this?
Legit breeders will be listed with a breeding organization. They will also show concern with the pup's well being for after you've adopted it, won't let it leave until it's about 8 weeks old, that sort of thing. Try and get references from someone who's gotten dogs from them before.
try angies list on the seller
Try checking with others that also breed the dogs you want. Request a pedigree of the puppy and VERIFY the info with the AKC. Look for B.B.B. cases involving the seller, and perhaps check for a breeders permit ... many states or cities require them. Maybe even ask the breeder what vet they use and check that out.
"Request a pedigree of the puppy and VERIFY the info with the AKC."

The puppy could have all kinds of champs on his-her sire or dam's pedigree but that info does you no good to waste time reshearching.
It says it is akc certified and it is from a champion blood line.. if someone knows how to research these things let me know and I will send a link for the dog just PM me please
  • Herm
  • 06-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Here is a good article. I agree with all of these points as we just got an 8 wk old choc. Lab puppy about 7 weeks ago. Good breeders are more concerned with matching their breed and dog to a good owner than making money.

http://www.hkc.org/breederchoice.htm
I am supposed to put down the deposit monday morning. And yes, they did say I cant bring the dog home till its 6 weeks old. She is 2 weeks right now, they said I can pick her up july 26th! Now I just need to make sure they are legit before monday morning!!
The puppy will not have a pedigree yet. It has a litter paper that you send in with your 3 name choices. You can reshearch the sire and dam That just tells you about the dog not the breeders.
Missouri is noted for Puppy Mills that are not good.
  • Herm
  • 06-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Puppies are not weened from their mothers milk until 8 weeks old. No breeder would let their puppy go home prior to 8 weeks.
Puppies are not weened from their mothers milk until 8 weeks old. No breeder would let their puppy go home prior to 8 weeks. Originally Posted by Herm

Hate to disagree with you But at 4 weeks pups are starting to eat solf food
Haveing a 8 week old still sucking is like haveiing a 14 year old Boy still being breastfed.
Missouri is noted for Puppy Mills that are not good. Originally Posted by old-tyme-racer
Kansas is noted for prositution stings that is not good. Do your reshearch.
  • Herm
  • 06-30-2013, 02:52 AM
Hate to disagree with you But at 4 weeks pups are starting to eat solf food
Haveing a 8 week old still sucking is like haveiing a 14 year old Boy still being breastfed. Originally Posted by big country
Although most puppies are weaned enough that they can get by without Mom's milk at 6 weeks, it is much better to wait until at least 8 weeks before sending them off to their new homes. The last few weeks of mother's milk will help puppy immune systems, which is always a good thing, as they aren't due for major shots until 14 weeks.