True facts, real world.

So I retired in 2017 and without children and grand children we came out OK with a pretty good retirement. For a couple of years, 2018-2020 we talked about getting a nice house in Bayou Vista on Galveston Bay on the water. After Hurricane Ike lowered the boom in the Galveston area, there were some really nice new homes in Bayou Vista. Back then we could afford a mortgage with the mortgage rates right at 3.00 to 3.20% level. Now with the interest rates around 7.00%, no way would be even consider it. This is considering a FICO score of around 820.

I just did a search on HAR of Bayou Vista, and inflation has hit these homes hard. The same homes we looked at with a ceiling of $300,000 in 2018 are now around $400,000.

I think the difference would be around $1,000 a month for the same priced home using up to date interest rates. We will keep our current home in southeast Harris county, I would love to have a home on the water, but won't adjust the math on the interest that caused this big price increase.

This same song is being sung all over America, but instead of old retirees, this could be your children, grand children, or other family member and friends wanting a part of the American dream. This country needs another direction and not 4 more years of the same old same. The last time America changed direction is posted in the first and second paragraphs of this post.

If I had kids and even hated Trump with a passion, I would bite the bullet and do what's the most advantageous to my kids and family. If it took voting for a man I hated to get the economy in line, make trips to the gas station and grocery store better for my family, I would.

My family comes way before my ego.
This country needs another direction and not 4 more years of the same old same. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
I agree which is why going backwards with Trump's bullshit is silly and going forward with Harris is not anything I want either.

Now, I will share a bit about myself. I am the father of minor children. My two oldest are boys. My job as their father/co parent right now is to navigate their journey from childhood to adulthood. By doing so, I have to instill the proper values in them. What I have taught my boys are the exact opposite of what a man like Trump represents so excuse me for actually caring about my family and demanding that they care about not only themselves but also for others who are not so fortunate. Also, racism, misogyny and selfishness are highly frowned upon in my house (which is a kind way for me to say that I do not and will not allow it).

You mention money. There is a reason I never complain about inflation. I very humbly have admitted in the past that I am fortunate financially. I want all of my children to be the same. But, if it was only about money, Trump would be a no brainer for me, but money is not everything IMO. Instead of only money though, I want my children to be empathic young adults with high character that evolves as they age. I see none of that in Trump's two oldest sons. And I certainly see none of that in Senior the grifter.

In closing, you obviously are a fan of Don the Con and that's cool. But in the future, leave out the silly strawman argument that if you are not, you are not looking out for your family and your disdain for him is ego driven.

Sorry for my long-winded post guys.
The president doesn’t control interest rates. The president doesn’t control home prices. The whole argument about home buying interest rates and increasing home prices is pretty dumb shit. I’m glad home prices are up. My equity has increased about 230K since ‘21 so I’m not complaining.

Low interest rates were a benefit inherited by Trump from the Obama years. In order to recover from the Bush recession the Fed sent rates into near negative numbers to stimulate borrowing. The rates remained low and then went lower when Trump sent us into another recession. You should be wishing for Obama’s return if you really cared about purely money.