A&W rootbeer

Is there any place in town to get rootbeer that tastes like the fountain rootbeer you could get at the A&W drive in? I read a snippet that there was a place in St. Louis or maybe KC.

Thanks.
KC Metro there's five locations for A&W restaurants
None in St. Louis.
Furthest south is South Springfield, MO, or Wichita.
There used to be an A&W store on Old Spanish Trail a block or two West of 288 in the Med Center area.

I thought the fountain root beer there was great.

My childhood recollection is getting a pint (quart?) of A&W in a cone shaped carton thing and sharing it around with buds . . . as in, gulp-gulp-pass (well, we were 12). It was high summer and hot, the RB was getting less than cold and a bit flat . . .great stuff.

One problem with remembering "the good 'ol days" is that as we get older, our taste buds seem to deaden or change some (its a real thing). And then, anyone who has been exposed to Covid may have some effect there as well.

The extreme age-related effect is my 97 year old mother-in-law who now doesn't like the taste of bread!
http://www.google.com/maps/place//da...ngQ4kB6BAgREAI

^ in Houston, not the best area. I haven’t been it’s about an hour drive lol
Is there any place in town to get rootbeer that tastes like the fountain rootbeer you could get at the A&W drive in? I read a snippet that there was a place in St. Louis or maybe KC.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Tigbitties38
Try googling old time fountain shops. Some small towns have them and bigger cities sometimes will have at least one operating as a nostalgia shop. Also try places that specialize in old candies and sodas/pop. You'd be surprised whats still offered.

Nothing like a real cherry lime aide or a real cherry coke made by a soda jerk.
Schilo's Deli in downtown San Antonio has homemade root beer. Very delicious. Goes well with a Rueben sandwich
I love to drink different root beers.

There's a place on I-10 called Rocket Fizz. They have tons of different root beers in there. I'll need to note places that have root beers on tap.

Have you tried Bucee's root beer from the fountains? It's actually pretty good.
In Dallas have an A&W connected to a Long John's 😋! It's the entire store too, been there for at least 20yrs.
Is OP looking for this in Texas or Mizzou?
@KaylaFoxx
Wish more ladies liked the thick white froth.
Thank you much.
KC Metro there's five locations for A&W restaurants
None in St. Louis.
Furthest south is South Springfield, MO, or Wichita. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
That's what I remembered too except it came in those heavy glass mugs. The mugs seemed huge but then I was a lot smaller then. I remember the lesser amount of carbonation.
HEB has a home brand of root beer, in bottles and made with sugar, that is pretty good. IBC isn't bad either. Thanks for the info.
There used to be an A&W store on Old Spanish Trail a block or two West of 288 in the Med Center area.

I thought the fountain root beer there was great.

My childhood recollection is getting a pint (quart?) of A&W in a cone shaped carton thing and sharing it around with buds . . . as in, gulp-gulp-pass (well, we were 12). It was high summer and hot, the RB was getting less than cold and a bit flat . . .great stuff.

One problem with remembering "the good 'ol days" is that as we get older, our taste buds seem to deaden or change some (its a real thing). And then, anyone who has been exposed to Covid may have some effect there as well.

The extreme age-related effect is my 97 year old mother-in-law who now doesn't like the taste of bread! Originally Posted by ICU 812
I think a constsant problem with fountain versions is going to be the amount of carbonation. That brings to mind a popeye's I went to that had Coke that tasted exactly like canned coke. 6 months later they "fixed it". Gone forever.

Rocket Fizz? Thank you.
I love to drink different root beers.

There's a place on I-10 called Rocket Fizz. They have tons of different root beers in there. I'll need to note places that have root beers on tap.

Have you tried Bucee's root beer from the fountains? It's actually pretty good. Originally Posted by Timer27
In Texas
Is OP looking for this in Texas or Mizzou? Originally Posted by TryWeakly