U.S. Seizes Bitcoin Said to be Used to Finance Terrorist Groups

• oeb11
  • 08-13-2020, 01:44 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...zHI?li=BBnb7Kz

WASHINGTON — The United States government said on Thursday that it seized about $2 million in Bitcoin and other types of cryptocurrency from accounts that had sent or received funds in alleged financing schemes for three foreign terrorist organizations: Al Qaeda, ISIS and Hamas’ paramilitary arm, the Al Qassam Brigades.

Unfortunately, the DOJ has not seized illicit funding for NY Times, WacomPo, XiNN, and the DPST party which goes to support of OBLM and AntiFa.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...zHI?li=BBnb7Kz

WASHINGTON — The United States government said on Thursday that it seized about $2 million in Bitcoin and other types of cryptocurrency from accounts that had sent or received funds in alleged financing schemes for three foreign terrorist organizations: Al Qaeda, ISIS and Hamas’ paramilitary arm, the Al Qassam Brigades.

Unfortunately, the DOJ has not seized illicit funding for NY Times, WacomPo, XiNN, and the DPST party which goes to support of OBLM and AntiFa. Originally Posted by oeb11
from the title I did half expect the thread to be about confiscation from the terrorist group antifa

The FEDS are here!

BAHHAAAAAA
  • oeb11
  • 08-13-2020, 03:47 PM
from the title I did half expect the thread to be about confiscation from the terrorist group antifa Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought

satire!
Cyber security is hot right now.
"Seeking to send a deterrent message, Mr. Demers and other officials stressed that the government, including criminal investigators at the Internal Revenue Service, have developed tools and techniques that can identify people involved in so-called blockchain transactions that should give pause to would-be financiers of terrorism or other crimes."

that's part of the puzzle of bitcoin and how anonymous it supposedly is. that was designed in from the start. it looks like these transaction blocks in the bitcoin blockchain can now be identified as to who owns them. that's part of it. the other part is unlocking wallets.

i had a friend who got heavily into bitcoin mining some years back, he has a data center optimized for bitcoin mining. while this was about 4 years back we had some spirited discussion about how hack-proof bitcoin wallets are. he claimed then that they were unbreakable due to what he claimed was "mil spec" encryption. he claimed the wallets have a 16 digit key that could not be broken. i told him anything can be broken given enough computing power. he scoffed at that. i wonder what he'd think of this? i told him that while even elite hackers working in large groups couldn't break the key due to the sheer number of possible permutations, something in of the order of billions of possible key combinations, that government agencies can break the key because they have access to super computers that can generate all the possible keys in days. he still claimed they were unbreakable.

i'd ask him about this except that he died of a heart attack 3 months ago. now his website is pass-worded where before it was open to the public as it served as a business website for his mining operations where people could sign up for the various services he offered, hosting mining equipment and selling state of the art mining devices. years ago anyone could earn bitcoin by running the hashing algorithm associated with each currency. you could do this with any reasonably powerful personal computer. over time as more and more transactions took place the difficulty increased to match. also as i understand it there is a factor built into the blockchain that can make some sort of adjustment to the difficulty. i recall reading about that a while back. so as that factor increased you couldn't use a pc anymore, it didn't have the computing power. so the next step was chaining together high end graphics cards, which made NVIDIA cards sought after for mining as they are pretty much the top rated graphics cards for gaming. over time even that wasn't enough as again the volume increased and there are limits to how many graphics cards you can chain together on a typical computer on the system bus. i think 8 is as much as you can chain before you can't handle more, in part due to the available irq's on pc's. for you non-tekkies that's the max available interrupt vectors to dedicate to each graphics card to manage them. then that became too slow so the ASIC device was created. ASIC is Application-specific Integrated circuit, meaning several tech outfits designed a chip specifically to hash these bitcoin transactions. that's where bitcoin mining is now. well unless you can afford an IBM mainframe and several people did do just that, who had the big bucks to afford it.

the blockchain model was designed to be open so that no big players who could afford big iron as they call mainframes to dominate the transaction processing. they wanted it to be that way, as i recall reading, the difficulty factor can in increased or decreased to prevent that. they can actually change it at will so if a couple big tech players crank up a mainframe to squeeze out the rest of the people trying to mine they just reduce it which opens up mining for people with ASIC devices to make money too. they have adjusted this factor up and down several times over the years as i read. another reason they raise or lower it is tied to the current value of bitcoin. it operates as a inverse relationship. if bitcoin goes way up they decrease it, again to keep a few with big iron from controlling the bulk of the transactions. likewise if bitcoin goes way down as it did awhile back, it dropped close to half its value at one point, they increase the factor.

all this is based on the blockchain model. when someone buys or sells bitcoin or pays someone with it, it generates a "block" of transactions that need to be hashed. so to keep it open source they publish this batch of transactions, which can also be increased to yet again increase the mining difficulty or reduce it. that block is published and thus available to anyone to hash it to generate the transaction keys to complete that batch as a new entry into the chain. it's a "first come, first serve" type model where the first device to pick up the new transaction, generate the data and submit it gets the credit for it. yet another built in feature to prevent a few from dominating the transaction processing required. that's why none of the big tech firms, banks and others have been able to take control of the mining. all these factors, some with inverse relationships and others direct plus the "open" first come, first server concept were designed from the start to thwart that very thing. so far it's worked.

also when your device(s) (the key for ASIC is to have dozens or hundreds of them all online and hashing the transactions and yes you are essentially competing against your own devices and also any number of others) does successfully complete the process you get bitcoin in return, and only bitcoin. obviously you can hold it or sell it whichever you want. but the idea is to use the mining itself to generate more bitcoin in circulation. this buddy of mine had thousands of devices in his data center. many of them he owned, many others were bought by other individuals and hosted by this guy, for a fee of course. so he was making money several ways on this. not sure what will happen to his operation now that he died suddenly? he was only 55. he had partners in the venture but not sure on the status now as the site is no longer public. at some point a few years back, several of the partners listed disappeared from the site. who knows the story there? my buddy bought them out? they bailed out? don't know.

one last thing on this bitcoin stuff and the wallets. what happens if you die and no one else has access to the keys? that bitcoin is essentially lost in limbo forever in the chain, unless you have access to a super computer to crack the keys. clearly most use multiple wallets, even if the key is difficult to hack. that's to prevent you from losing all the bitcoin you own if somehow the wallet is compromised, one way or another. this buddy told me a few years back when i was discussing his mining venture and seriously considering buying about 10 to 15k worth of devices that he had dozens of wallets. since very few people have a photographic memory to memorize dozens of 16 digit keys, ya gotta write them down or otherwise store the list somehow. some people are old school but secure about it, they write them down on paper and put them in a safe or a secure bank deposit box. others like this buddy store them in a password vault on a computer which is what i think i recall he did. and he very well could have a list in a safe as a backup. but what happens if no one else knows how to access the keys? there could be millions these wallets that are inaccessible to anyone else. this has actually happened before.

this guy had a girlfriend who i met a few times when i went to see his data center. he did say some of the wallets were joint between them, so she has access to them as he did. that money isn't lost obviously. but what about his bitcoin? did he ensure she had a way to unlock the wallets in case of his death? his family? who knows? this guy was the boastful type but often was able to back it up. like me, you never could know if he was bullshitting you or not. bahaa. that's partly why we were friends for 20 years. don't know if he had a will, but if he didn't things might get dicey settling his estate. could be some legal challenges. even if he did have a will, and he left a bunch of this bitcoin to his family, what if the girlfriend has access to the keys and won't turn them over? or simply moves the money to her? he claimed she was some trust fund kid, her family apparently has a bunch of oil wells in Texas and Oklahoma he claimed so upfront, she wouldn't have a motive to skinflint his family. but them again .. who knows how much money he had? when i visited his data center in Garland, there were thousands of miners setup and running. let me restate that .. there were upwards of 10 thousand plus of these miners. or more. i saw them myself, rack after rack, 15 rows tall each full of these miners. he claimed he directly owned about 20 percent of them. easily in the several thousand based on the sheer number i saw and that was two years ago.

this guy could have millions of dollars worth of bitcoins. it could easily get ugly on what happens to all that.
  • oeb11
  • 08-13-2020, 06:42 PM
OBLM and AntiFa - terrorist organizations who need their money tracked - it is going from donating corporations directly to the DNC - which , of course, then makes no notice of the terrorist activities of these outlaw organizations. not to mention marxist - and commune- centric .
Unfortunately, the DOJ has not seized illicit funding for NY Times, WacomPo, XiNN, and the DPST party which goes to support of OBLM and AntiFa. Originally Posted by oeb11
Have you always lied like this, or just since DJT started doing it in 2016?
Y2K is coming , the Great Reset , agenda 20/30 9 (check it out UN web page , world economic forum 2020 ) Jan will be the BIG surprise