Endangered Pleasures?

I was reading, "Endangered Pleasures" by Barbara Holland. Tag line is, "In defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences".

It wasn't a great book but I thought that it would make a good topic.

I miss having picnics. That would be something that I would like. Also, the whole "doing it in the car" thing. Only DG has been occupied with that activity, lately, if my memory of reading about that subject is accurate.

So what are some pleasures, simple ones, that you would like to see again, try again or see re-emerge? (re-emerge. I think that I just made that word up.)

Elisabeth
I was reading, "Endangered Pleasures" by Barbara Holland. Tag line is, "In defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences".

It wasn't a great book but I thought that it would make a good topic.

I miss having picnics. That would be something that I would like. Also, the whole "doing it in the car" thing. Only DG has been occupied with that activity, lately, if my memory of reading about that subject is accurate.

So what are some pleasures, simple ones, that you would like to see again, try again or see re-emerge? (re-emerge. I think that I just made that word up.)

Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Pretty much extinct now but....Drive-in movies! I remember so many great times growing up at the drive-in just off 75 and Parker Rd in Plano. I particularly remember the back seat adventures!
A really good topic EW. I need to think about it for a while and come back here. The problem with these kinds of pleasures is that after a while you don't miss them. And then you kind-of forget about them. I need to ponder & remember.
  • WTF
  • 06-27-2010, 01:04 PM
(re-emerge. I think that I just made that word up.)

Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/REEMERGE
A really good topic EW. I need to think about it for a while and come back here. The problem with these kinds of pleasures is that after a while you don't miss them. And then you kind-of forget about them. I need to ponder & remember. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I don't know Chuck.

I had a Martini last night & used quite a bit of profanity; bacon for breakfast and just woke from a nap...
Pretty much extinct now but....Drive-in movies! I remember so many great times growing up at the drive-in just off 75 and Parker Rd in Plano. I particularly remember the back seat adventures! Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
We have an active drive-in here in Memphis, if you want to take a road trip.

http://www.malco.com/index.php?page=...show_cinema=33

Cheers,

bcg
I like martinis, naps and profanity. Something I used to do all the time is moon people. I once mooned three cops at once. I still don't remember it though, because martinis are like boobs. One is not enough and three is too many. I probably had four martinis that night.

pardon the randomness,
I always knew that when I drank a martini, I was already drunk. I have come to appreciate a semi-wet martini with two, bleu cheese stuffed Queen sized olives. Vodka, shaken with ice, cubes not shaved or crushed, and not stirred.
Yumm! Give me one of those and I'll do more than moon you
I don't know Chuck.

I had a Martini last night & used quite a bit of profanity; bacon for breakfast and just woke from a nap... Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Obviously, my life isn't quite as balanced as yours and you have maintained those simple pleasures that many of us miss.

Sometimes, I really miss those martinis. But I always preferred them with gin. NEVER vodka. And with a few extra olives.

But other simple pleasures have easily replaced the martinis. And for me, naps were never endangered except when I was working a full time/exempt job. Then? No naps except for weekends. A travesty.

Elisabeth
Obviously, my life isn't quite as balanced as yours and you have maintained those simple pleasures that many of us miss. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Shoot nothing was simple when I drank.
Elisabeth you have done great! I am so glad that you are in my life. Congratulations!!!
skinny dipping.

making love under the sun on a grassy field.

making love in a grassy field under a full moon.
I am fortunate. I was never addicted enough to drinking or smoking for it to adversely affect me (although drinking in college came close).

I smoked 3 packs a day for about 5 years. Then I took part in a science project where we produced lungs from deceased persons: non-smokers living in the country, non-smokers living in the city, smokers in the country and smokers in the city. Smokers in the city died of emphysema, and generally died 7 years before they normally would have died. I quit cold turkey. (Never had withdrawal symptoms so I assume I never was really addicted.)

My drinking was at its peak in college. My grades suffered. But again, I don't think I ever became addicted. I stopped periodically w/o the desire to drink again. My motive to drink is to relieve stress. And I drink only wine...no hard liquor except very occasionally (like 2-3 x a year).

However, I do have other addictions: procrastination and laziness (and now this board). I'd also say sex, but you have to get it frequently for it to be an addiction. I guess it's just a luxury...and an expensive one at that.
Didn't mean to hijack this to addictions.

There is a general assault on the food we enjoy. I hate feeling guilty over eating food "that's not good for me." I can easily lay off red meat.

But chocolate and sweets. Never. The best I can do is reduce the intake.

And besides, chocolate is good for me, especially dark.
Yeah. I used to say wine was good for me. The red.

At any rate, I don't see a problem with a thread drift. Isn't this something that we do all of the time here in these parts? LOL.

Thanks, Ansley. I'm very glad that you're in my life as well. You're a great friend.

But with sweets, food and other things, we all have our demons that we have to face in life. Addictions or doing things (or eating things ... there must be a joke in there somewhere) that aren't healthy just seems pretty normal to me.

Gosh, even breathing the air is considered unhealthy to some. But we gotta do it!

Elisabeth