he said what....

cute old guy....

it appears you have been misquoting toms' remaarks....it's always best to do some research before misquoting tom.....
..Thomas Paine Review

Thomas Paine and his followers, history of democratic reform, politics, commentary.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Another bogus quote: "It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."

The Tea-bagger membership is supposedly at least modestly educated. If so, I've yet to see any evidence of it. The latest is their widespread attribution of the above quotation to Thomas Paine. It's now gone viral, plastered all over the WWW. You won't find it in any of Paine's works because he simply never said nor wrote it. The actual quote is (drum roll, please) .....

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.” Edward Abbey A Voice Crying in the Wilderness (Vox Clamantis en Deserto) : Notes from a Secret Journal (1990) ISBN 0312064888

Personally, I rather enjoy Abbey's ideas, but I wonder if the Tea-Bagging Nation out there would be all that happy to be associated with him!
Ok, but who is Eddie Abbey? Wasn't he the guy married to Eva Gabor on Green Acres?
This is so weak. Misquotes have been around long before the Tea party came on the scene. So have presidential candidates claiming that they have 57 states to visit.

How about this one, "The customer is always right."
This is so weak. Misquotes have been around long before the Tea party came on the scene. So have presidential candidates claiming that they have 57 states to visit.

How about this one, "The customer is always right." Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

So JD, if one of your students submits a paper that misquotes someone or wrongly attributes a quote, do you let it slide or do you deduct from the grade?
  • CJ7
  • 01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
So JD, if one of your students submits a paper that misquotes someone or wrongly attributes a quote, do you let it slide or do you deduct from the grade? Originally Posted by lustylad

of course he deducts from their grade .... hypocrisy at its best.
So JD, if one of your students submits a paper ..? Originally Posted by lustylad
He probably counts off for typos ...

... but if misquotes got graded on the internet, particularly this Board, there would be few left who didn't flunk "off" the Board.

Almost every "headline" posted is a misquote or distortion of the actual article referenced ... hysteria at its finest.

How about this one, "The customer is always right." Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
How about this one? I always think of it when you try to respond intelligently to posts....

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

So JD, if one of your students submits a paper that misquotes someone or wrongly attributes a quote, do you let it slide or do you deduct from the grade? Originally Posted by lustylad
The candidates for a degree in custodial engineering are not required to submit "papers".

cute old guy....

it appears you have been misquoting toms' remaarks....it's always best to do some research before misquoting tom.....
..Thomas Paine Review

Thomas Paine and his followers, history of democratic reform, politics, commentary.

Another bogus quote: "It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."

The Tea-bagger membership is supposedly at least modestly educated. If so, I've yet to see any evidence of it. The latest is their widespread attribution of the above quotation to Thomas Paine. It's now gone viral, plastered all over the WWW. You won't find it in any of Paine's works because he simply never said nor wrote it. The actual quote is (drum roll, please) .....

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.” Edward Abbey A Voice Crying in the Wilderness (Vox Clamantis en Deserto) : Notes from a Secret Journal (1990) ISBN 0312064888

Personally, I rather enjoy Abbey's ideas, but I wonder if the Tea-Bagging Nation out there would be all that happy to be associated with him! Originally Posted by stevepar
So show us on the doll, where your daddy touched you.
Nothing but insults and excuses... Fact is, Dipshit COG just got his ass handed to him.

How does he talk his way out of this one?
cute old guy....

..Thomas Paine Review

Personally, I rather enjoy Abbey's ideas, but I wonder if the Tea-Bagging Nation out there would be all that happy to be associated with him! Originally Posted by stevepar
Doesn't mean the same thing?
Nothing but insults and excuses... Fact is, Dipshit COG just got his ass handed to him.

How does he talk his way out of this one? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

Clown Rider... show us on the doll, where you touched your daddy...

cute old guy....

..Thomas Paine Review

Happy now?