The White lie...

I thought this would make for some interesting discussion. Sam Harris posts these questions on his facebook. The comments on his questions are interesting.

"Anyone have an example of a "white" lie gone terribly wrong"?
Readers comments

"What about lies (in history, current events, literature) that have had great personal consequences -- e.g. destroyed a person's career, family life, etc. Madoff is a pretty good example. But I'm looking for a case where lying was the central issue (not theft, fraud, etc.)"
Readers comments
I guess no-one's saying...
"I did not have sex with that woman"

or is that considered a blatant lie ?
LOL Sweet, yes that was one that went really south very quickly for him..!
Boy did it ever GP! lol
15 Most common white lies and why .....
  1. It wasn’t me! – Because some things just aren’t worth taking credit for.
  2. The table will be ready in 5 minutes. – Because it sounds a lot better than 15 minutes.
  3. Oh, yeah. That makes sense. – Because option B involves admitting that I am clueless.
  4. Thank you so much! I just love it! – Because telling someone that their gift sucked would make me look like an insensitive jerk.
  5. Yeah, you look great in that dress. – Because it’s better than being slapped.
  6. Oh, things would have been different if I was there! – Because I’m Superman and I can always make a difference… or at least that’s how I want others to perceive of me.
  7. No, officer… I have no idea how fast I was going. – Because claiming ignorance is sometimes better than admitting to insubordination.
  8. I’m 29. – Because 29 is like 20 years younger than 30.
  9. Yeah, I’ll start working on that ASAP! – Because telling you I have 10 things to do first would just irritate you.
  10. Yes, John was with me last night. – Because that’s what friends do… we agree and ask questions later.
  11. My resume is 5 pages long for a good reason. – Because I’m darn good at bullshittin’!
  12. Man, that sucker was 10 feet long! – Because anything less would be boring.
  13. Yeah, I was a badass on my high school football team! – Because I want to be seen by others in an even stronger light than I see myself.
  14. I’m 21, 6’5, with a muscular build. – Because you can’t see me in this online chat room… ha ha!
  15. I thought I already sent that email out. I’m sure I did. – Because telling you that it was a low priority and I forgot would probably hurt our relationship
Hahahahahha.. that is great! I love that list! Wonder if we can come up with a "white lie" list that pertains to the hobby! =P
As far as the hobby goes:

1. I couldn't return your call because my phone died. - I double booked and my other appointment got here first.

2. I offer non-rushed services - Unless it takes you more than 3 min to pop, and then I become restless. My next appt will be here in 15 min
  • WTF
  • 07-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Boy did it ever GP! lol
15 Most common white lies and why .....
  1. It wasn’t me! – Because some things just aren’t worth taking credit for.
  2. The table will be ready in 5 minutes. – Because it sounds a lot better than 15 minutes.
  3. Oh, yeah. That makes sense. – Because option B involves admitting that I am clueless.
  4. Thank you so much! I just love it! – Because telling someone that their gift sucked would make me look like an insensitive jerk.
  5. Yeah, you look great in that dress. – Because it’s better than being slapped.
  6. Oh, things would have been different if I was there! – Because I’m Superman and I can always make a difference… or at least that’s how I want others to perceive of me.
  7. No, officer… I have no idea how fast I was going. – Because claiming ignorance is sometimes better than admitting to insubordination.
  8. I’m 29. – Because 29 is like 20 years younger than 30.
  9. Yeah, I’ll start working on that ASAP! – Because telling you I have 10 things to do first would just irritate you.
  10. Yes, John was with me last night. – Because that’s what friends do… we agree and ask questions later.
  11. My resume is 5 pages long for a good reason. – Because I’m darn good at bullshittin’!
  12. Man, that sucker was 10 feet long! – Because anything less would be boring.
  13. Yeah, I was a badass on my high school football team! – Because I want to be seen by others in an even stronger light than I see myself.
  14. I’m 21, 6’5, with a muscular build. – Because you can’t see me in this online chat room… ha ha!
  15. I thought I already sent that email out. I’m sure I did. – Because telling you that it was a low priority and I forgot would probably hurt our relationship
Originally Posted by Sweet N Little
As far as the hobby goes:

1. I couldn't return your call because my phone died. - I double booked and my other appointment got here first.

2. I offer non-rushed services - Unless it takes you more than 3 min to pop, and then I become restless. My next appt will be here in 15 min Originally Posted by Rambro Creed
Lawls..

I am surprised that is all you came up with..surely there is more! Do tell..
but i don't allow kissing, msog, daty, dato, digits, cim, cob, greek, french, russian or touching of my toes. no i don't have bottled water or a shower you can use but my menu might open up a bit on our 5th or 6th date. please post a good review about me.. hey did you forget the tip.
Lawls..

I am surprised that is all you came up with..surely there is more! Do tell.. Originally Posted by Guilty Pleasures
When on the phone with a time waster-- "I have to go, there is someone knocking on my door" I have used that one a few times I admit it LOL
Not a white lie, But when asked the question:

Q. "Honey, does this dress make my ass look fat?"
A. "HELLLLLLLL YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
"white" lie Originally Posted by Guilty Pleasures
I won't come in your mouth.
  • WTF
  • 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I won't come in your mouth. Originally Posted by notanewbie
Thats not really a white lie....

...more like a creamy milky white lie
When on the phone with a time waster-- "I have to go, there is someone knocking on my door" I have used that one a few times I admit it LOL Originally Posted by CRISTY-CUPPS
Do you knock on a table top or wall at the same time to make it sound real? I have.