ATL ......?!

A friend and I are thinking of coming to ATL in December. What is a good safe area to be in??!!?! Thanks in advance.
Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, and Buckhead are your best bets. These areas are the northern middle of the town. Good areas if you don't want to feel too downtown-ish. Midtown is good for that, if that's what you're looking for. But Midtown always feels a bit cramped to me, but your tastes may vary.

If you want to get out and about a bit, and maybe get some air, and if the weather is cooperating, I would suggest checking out the Beltline. There's a million people on it all day, walking and riding bikes, young and old. so you'll blend right in. It's probably the safest part of town, really. That, and it's a nice excuse to get out and show off that butt of yours if you want. Pack some walking or running shoes.

Marietta/Smyrna are good, too, as is Alpharetta, but they all feel a bit too far from the heart of the city, particularly if you're only staying for a few days (I would say no further than Smyrna).

Decatur is a bit meh to me...feels a bit country-ish, not so much the landscape, but the people.

Bankhead, College Park, East Point...anything South of I-20, I wouldn't recommend. This includes the airport area. If you're flying in, don't bother settling for any hotels around it. Odds are you're hate yourself for doing it.

So, start with that northern middle.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much. Very detailed. This helps tremendously!!
The detail in your response is so helpful! Thanks babe!! We are thinking of coming down the second week of December!! We are definitely going to be looking for fun things to do while we are there!!
Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, and Buckhead are your best bets. These areas are the northern middle of the town. Good areas if you don't want to feel too downtown-ish. Midtown is good for that, if that's what you're looking for. But Midtown always feels a bit cramped to me, but your tastes may vary.

If you want to get out and about a bit, and maybe get some air, and if the weather is cooperating, I would suggest checking out the Beltline. There's a million people on it all day, walking and riding bikes, young and old. so you'll blend right in. It's probably the safest part of town, really. That, and it's a nice excuse to get out and show off that butt of yours if you want. Pack some walking or running shoes.

Marietta/Smyrna are good, too, as is Alpharetta, but they all feel a bit too far from the heart of the city, particularly if you're only staying for a few days (I would say no further than Smyrna).

Decatur is a bit meh to me...feels a bit country-ish, not so much the landscape, but the people.

Bankhead, College Park, East Point...anything South of I-20, I wouldn't recommend. This includes the airport area. If you're flying in, don't bother settling for any hotels around it. Odds are you're hate yourself for doing it.

So, start with that northern middle.

Hope this helps. Originally Posted by Randall Creed
Thank you so Much. I've made it To ATL this morning. Ill be checking in this after noon.
How long you in town for?
Shit...I hadn't been paying attention lately.
Yes I live in Atlanta also on the Northside. Yes great area