What skills did your parents teach you?

Or what skills do you think are important enough to teach your kids?
I don't mean things like respect etc..I mean skill sets.

My dad taught me a a couple of things. He was a phenomenal cook...and he got me into it because he enjoyed it. It got to the point where every Saturday night until I was about 18, I would cook a 3 course dinner for my parents, sisters and whoever else was at our house that day. I loved it..and still do to this day.

He also taught me quite a bit about driving. Whilst I had lessons with an instructor, pops taught me some additional stuff...like what to do if you skid on ice, how to take a corner that you in advertently come up against at speed and how to change a tyre, dip the oil and check the water levels and change headlight bulbs. The first year I had a car he ripped out the radio and said he would replace it with a good system if I got through the first 12 months of driving with no tickets and/or accidents. It was pretty good actually because it did force me to concentrate much more than I would have done with music. He also taught me how to drive trucks, fast sports cars and other larger vehicles...so that I knew what I was up against on the road. I learned pretty quickly how easily other vehicles could or could not slow down/speed up which was pretty important for a newbie driver.

My mum had a job that involved meeting people of various cultures. She would always try and introduce me to them at some point and I learnt a lot about what life was like in Russia, Africa etc. I think that created a thirst not just for travel but also to live in various places and do as the natives do. It has also made me sensitive to the nuances of others..even when they speak the same language.

She is also really talented at interior design and taught me how to mix and match various colours and textiles that I wouldn't normally have given a second thought. I think I most came to value that as a student who lived in the obligatory shitty digs that needed brightening (and often cleaning) up on the cheap. I really enjoy shopping for home stuff now as boring as that might sound...because I like trying to find new things to mix and match.

Ok, over to you guys.

C
My father taught me that if something doesn't fit, you need to get a bigger hammer.

As you can guess, home repair was not our thing.
Cooking, home remodeling (minor stuff, but I can do cabinets!), analytical thinking, dancing, social graces and manners (always, sometimes, never! ~ elbows), compassion, and cynicism.

The one thing I wish my mom had taught me? How to be a girl!
My mother taught me how to cook. She always said there's no way a good man would stick around if I didn't know how to cook so I quickly learned. She also taught me how to shop and decorate. My mom could make a shirt from walmart look like Prada.

My father taught me how to manage money. He always said "Milionaires didn't become millionaires by spending money on useless things". That one didn't stick. LOL.
My father taught me how to manage money. He always said "Milionaires didn't become millionaires by spending money on useless things". Originally Posted by Naomi4u
They do if they start out as billionaires.......
LOL!
Well my mum is a bit crazy, we moved around a lot whilst growing up ( wherever her boyfriend at the time lived), I used to get really angry about it, but what I did learn was to speak various languages
My mother taught me how to cook. She always said there's no way a good man would stick around if I didn't know how to cook Originally Posted by Naomi4u
That's so not true. I do the cooking (taught myself). [Of course, maybe I don't fit the definition of "a good man."]

I'm a little upset at my dad. He refused to pass on the skills he had learned from his father who was a master carpenter.
My mother taught me how to cook. She always said there's no way a good man would stick around if I didn't know how to cook so I quickly learned. She also taught me how to shop and decorate. My mom could make a shirt from walmart look like a Prada.

My father taught me how to manage money. He always said "Milionaires didn't become millionaires by spending money on useless things". That one didn't stick. LOL. Originally Posted by Naomi4u
When I came to live with my dad in the states he tried to teach me how to cook....unfortunately it didn't take....
That's so not true. I do the cooking (taught myself). [Of course, maybe I don't fit the definition of "a good man."]

I'm a little upset at my dad. He refused to pass on the skills he had learned from his father who was a master carpenter. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005

Ever heard the expression "Live full, die empty"? I always say don't take it with you to your grave.

If you can share with your children your skills, and teach them talents that they can use in life then you should do so!
My dad worked his ass off to take care of us. He would work 12 hour shifts and he still had time for us kids. He was a machinist and this was before C&C machines BTW. His hands had heavy callouses. Nobody and nothing came before family. He taught himself trigonometry. He machined reactor parts for the nuclear carrier Nimitz. All of this without a high school diploma.
If you were able you worked or you went to school. He was a John Wayne type of guy. 6'4”, narrow at the hip and wide at the shoulder. I'm just a little over 6' so I'm the runt of us boys. He wanted us boys to learn a trade. I said I wanted to go to school and do something else. He said “That's fine son. Never begrudge a man for trying to better himself.” He was a marine in WWII. He taught me by example. The stories I could tell about this man. When cancer came knocking
he fought it like so many others do. I heard the doctor tell my mother that my dad was the bravest man he ever met. My mother was left with 5 children. She taught me that we can do anything when we stick together. My mother taught me that when times get incredibly hard and age and stress take their toll on a person they can remain beautiful and thankful.

I'm very thankful BTW.

I'm a little upset at my dad. He refused to pass on the skills he had learned from his father who was a master carpenter. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005

Lol! Mind you Charles I've had my share of failed relationships. I cooked for only one of them and it lasted 2 years . So maybe mom was right... he left me because he didn't accept the hobby and not for my cooking which is a good thing. Can't blame him. My mom is a housewife she does not work. My parents have been together for over 20 years.

My father is a very interesting and intelligent man. I only wish to marry a man like him one day.

When I came to live with my dad in the states he tried to teach me how to cook....unfortunately it didn't take.... Originally Posted by Valerie
LOL! So now you use the microwave eh? Aww ... just buy some cookbooks. I can cook Nigerian and Liberian food like it's nobody's business. I can also cook Italian dishes (lived in Italy for a very short time).
Lol! Mind you Charles I've had my share of failed relationships. I cooked for only one of them and it lasted 2 years . So maybe mom was right... he left me because he didn't accept the hobby and not for my cooking which is a good thing. Can't blame him.

My father is a very interesting and intelligent man. I only wish to marry a man like him one day.

LOL! So now you use the microwave eh? Aww ... just buy some cookbooks. I can cook Nigerian and Liberian food like it's nobody's business. I can also cook Italian dishes (lived in Italy for a very short time). Originally Posted by Naomi4u
At times I do, I mean there are certain things I have to make, but they are really easy ha....Everything else is like fruit or raw veggies so I don't have to do much cooking
Patience, courtesy, simple cooking, and accurate shooting. For which I'm eternally grateful.

From his deathbed, Dad also warned, "never trust a preacher, he'll screw you with a limber dick". Which remains the best advice I've ever been given.