apple cider

Apples are early this year. And right now drinking some pasteurized apple cider from dropppings. And it is very good.

The only sad thing I can think of this is pasteurized, heated to 160° or hit with UV light. Makes it hard to make hard cider and or apple jack. Can not find a cidermill willing to sell me unpasteurized this year. May have to make my own cider.
  • Aguy
  • 08-08-2010, 06:26 AM
I don't think you'd have to make all the cider. Wouldn't squeezing just a few apples and mixing that juice into the rest work just as well?
I will need to look in to that. If no chemical was added also, that may work.
Aguy is right, you just need to reintroduce a little "untreated" juice into the mix to get the process rolling again, unless as you say chemicals are present, then you're SOL.
After making sure they didn't add any preservative into you cider (uv is better than heat treated), pour you cider into a large non-reactive bowl and float a sliced apple or two from the u-pick grove in it. Cover with cheese cloth and place in a cool, dark place for a few days. You won't get the alcohol content that my home brew cider gets but you will get that nice tang unpasteurized cider used to get when it stayed in the fridge too long.
Mmm this is what I love about fall. A nice cup of warm apple cider and a fresh made doughnut. Truly can't go wrong there. Especially with a nice drive looking at the leaves change. And cooler weather!! Please have cooler weather
OSD, if you are willing to make a day trip north, you can get it at The Burrville Cider Mill. http://www.burrvillecidermill.com It is just outside of Watertown. I take the kids there every year. You can walk through the press room, go out to the deck look at the waterfall, and get some of the best cider donuts ever made. I've made hard cider and never had a problem with the cider bought there.
Now that sounds like great place to stop at if in the area or passing on a trip. But will go with the many local apple cider makers near me. Just have to make sure no chemical was added as a preservative.

Cold or warm apple cider with a fresh doughnut mmm does sound good.
your post made me make a trip to Wegmans. I am now relaxing enjoying a glass of cold apple cider! Now the temperature has to drop about 20 degrees, and the leaves turn colors and I'll be in Brooke heaven.
Then soon after that we'll all be sad becuase the ground will be white...
mmm I love the snow myself spring, fall, and winter are the ones I enjoy
Did you try Apple Annie's on Latta Rd? I am pretty sure it's not treated at all there.