School Vouchers

Discuss....

(I didn't want to hijack another thread where the topic came up)
To quote another poster "The purpose of vouchers is to provide competition to a monopoly. Nothing more, nothing less."
  • npita
  • 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
To quote another poster "The purpose of vouchers is to provide competition to a monopoly. Nothing more, nothing less." Originally Posted by discreetgent
But that is not what vouchers do. As I pointed out in the other thread, public schools must be prepared to accept every potential student in the school district, including those who are in private schools, but might decide to revert to public schools. Private schools have the luxury of accepting only the students they have the facilities to accept. Vouchers are nothing more than a government subsidy at the expense of the taxpayers, especially those with no kids.
It depends how vouchers are structured. In some states only children in failing school districts can get vouchers. If the district passes the vouchers go away.
  • WTF
  • 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
It depends how vouchers are structured. In some states only children in failing school districts can get vouchers. If the district passes the vouchers go away. Originally Posted by discreetgent
That does not change the facts of what he said.

Let the vouchers go to the worst of the students, not the best. Lets see which school then has the better scores.

Vouchers cherry pick certain students. Students whose parents care enough to go to bat for them.

Improve the current system....not create another one.

Same with healthcare....improve the current system. Tax insurance benifits as income.
Vouchers are nothing more than a government subsidy at the expense of the taxpayers, especially those with no kids. Originally Posted by npita
Well of course they are. Is that a news event?

And firemen are a subsidy at the expense of taxpayers, expecially those that don't have fires.

And parks are a subsidy at the expense of taxpayers, expecially those that don't go to parks.

And neighborhood beauification is a subsidy at the expense of taxpayers, especially for those who can't see.

For whatever reason, our society has determined that the education of its youth is something worthy of a societal cost...and should be shared among all of us. If society has determined that it is willing to spend $2k per year for the education of its youth...why shouldn't it allow the parent to spend it as wisely as he or she sees fit?

We continue to dance this dance between what is society's obligation and what is our own obilgation. You want to tell me how to educate my child? Then take the little SOB when he is being a little sh*t too. You want me to be repsonsible for the little bugger? Then just hand me whatever you think you want to contribute and I'll handle the rest. It cuts both ways.
  • WTF
  • 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM
If society has determined that it is willing to spend $2k per year for the education of its youth...why shouldn't it allow the parent to spend it as wisely as he or she sees fit?

Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Intresting....why don't we do that with firefighters and police and Defense?

A novel concept. Taxpayers get to direct WHERE there tax dollars are spent!

I will vote for you RK. What are you going to run for, King? I have been saying that is a pretty good way to put up and shut up for awhile! A true market way to run this country.

btw...I am not telling anyone to shut up!

I'm in mod trouble fella's, gotta asterisk everything I say!
I like the idea of choice, but a private education isn't a right. It sounds real good in theory...let parents/students vote with their feet...shut down the public schools that aren't working, etc. (ostensibly paying for the vouchers). The problem is it just doesn't work like that...vouchers do nothing but raise the total cost of education for an already overburdened taxpayer. FIX PUBLIC EDUCATION!!!
  • WTF
  • 03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I like the idea of choice, but a private education isn't a right. It sounds real good in theory...let parents/students vote with their feet...shut down the public schools that aren't working, etc. (ostensibly paying for the vouchers). The problem is it just doesn't work like that...vouchers do nothing but raise the total cost of education for an already overburdened taxpayer. FIX PUBLIC EDUCATION!!! Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Here, here!
What are you going to run for, King? Originally Posted by WTF
You think I could win?
btw...I am not telling anyone to shut up!

I'm in mod trouble fella's, gotta asterisk everything I say! Originally Posted by WTF
Now this could be interesting. WTF is feeling the pressure. Here is our chance to "bitch slap" him...and he just has to grin and bear it.
Now this could be interesting. WTF is feeling the pressure. Here is our chance to "bitch slap" him...and he just has to grin and bear it. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Either that or watch him exile himself to some eccie equiv. of "The COmpanion Experience" and hold court over there....
Intresting....why don't we do that with firefighters and police and Defense?

A novel concept. Taxpayers get to direct WHERE there tax dollars are spent! Originally Posted by WTF
I dunno...call me crazy...but I think we do, do that. Where we seem to get off track is how?...and how much?

I'm sure I can find a link supporting that somehwere.
  • WTF
  • 03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I dunno...call me crazy...but I think we do, do that. Where we seem to get off track is how?...and how much?

I'm sure I can find a link supporting that somehwere. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Well I have no voucher for police or firefighters!

No bitch slapping, please King RK! Ole DG apparentlly thinks I called him a liar. I can't see it but those in the know apparently know what I am trying to say more so than I.
You think I could win? Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Well I'm voting for ya and I only vote for winners!

Either that or watch him exile himself to some eccie equiv. of "The COmpanion Experience" and hold court over there.... Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I'm going over to the new , old board where the truth will set me free!

Question.....If you post in the HDH section and nobody reads it, does it make a sound?
I like the idea of choice, but a private education isn't a right. It sounds real good in theory...let parents/students vote with their feet...shut down the public schools that aren't working, etc. (ostensibly paying for the vouchers). The problem is it just doesn't work like that...vouchers do nothing but raise the total cost of education for an already overburdened taxpayer. FIX PUBLIC EDUCATION!!! Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Vote Atlcomedy for President!