Are you a RESPONSIBLE shopper?

I didn't want to bog down another thread with this. I posted a video there and now here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol9LhGQJQ_w

Do you have a social responsibility for your spending or do you turn a blind eye and just buy what you want?
I thought this was another thread about $2000 handbags

See my thoughts in the other thread, but a lot of "do as I say, don't do as I do" folks out there when it comes to talking tough on illegals but jump at the chance to use them if it means they can save $$$$.
At times I can be frivolous and other times I'm frugal.
But, did you watch the video?

Would you buy cotton from India (or a t-shirt from Wal-mart made in India) after watching that?

ie would you buy products from sweat shops, child labor, exploited workers to save a buck?
It is a tricky situation.

Buy it and you promote the poisoning of farmers and their families, don't buy it and the same farmer and his family starve. It is a catch 22 for those involved. What can they do?
I thought this was another thread about $2000 handbags

See my thoughts in the other thread, but a lot of "do as I say, don't do as I do" folks out there when it comes to talking tough on illegals but jump at the chance to use them if it means they can save $$$$. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Something in life I'll never understand: HYPOCRISY!
It is a tricky situation.

Buy it and you promote the poisoning of farmers and their families, don't buy it and the same farmer and his family starve. It is a catch 22 for those involved. What can they do? Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
that's some deep $hit, Nicolette.
I watched half of the video and I could see where it was going, sad. Not being funny, but they need some protective gear when using those harsh chemicals. I'm guilty of buying cheap tanks and PJs from Target and Old Navy...I know it's not good. What are my other options? I don't have alot of money to spend on clothes.

I watched Food Inc last Monday, that's a similar issue about the food we buy here. I'm more likely to choose wisely when it comes to the food I eat over the clothes I wear.
But, did you watch the video?

Would you buy cotton from India (or a t-shirt from Wal-mart made in India) after watching that?

ie would you buy products from sweat shops, child labor, exploited workers to save a buck? Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
To be poor should be a CRIME! Sad.
Do you have a social responsibility for your spending or do you turn a blind eye and just buy what you want? Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
OK, I'll say it, since nobody else will. I pretty much just buy what I want.
OK, I'll say it, since nobody else will. I pretty much just buy what I want. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
I do too. I'm just willing to admit it (& obviously you are too). I just don't get up on my high horse and complain about it (& then in the privacy of my own household, do differently).
  • WTF
  • 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM
that's some deep $hit, Nicolette. Originally Posted by Nicolette Morgandy

I agree...it is a great topic.

I ain't sinking my teefus in it but it is a good one!

I'm more likely to choose wisely when it comes to the food I eat over the clothes I wear. Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
What about edible undies?

....I think I can get you in a DATY contest
I like to be informed about the things I buy. I also feel a need to share that information. Then you can do what you like. If you know people were abused to make your product and buy it any ways, that is your choice.

To be honest, if I need something and it is the only one available, I may buy it. But if there are two equal items (two blue t-shirts), I would spend a little more on the one that didn't cause harm to another.

Same with eating meat. If I want chicken and there is both free range and factory - I will get the free range even if it costs more. But if all they have is factory and I really need chicken (maybe I am cooking a special chicken dish), then I will buy factory. Mostly, I just won't buy the chicken but if I need it then...
I agree...it is a great topic.

I ain't sinking my teefus in it but it is a good one!

Originally Posted by WTF
Why not?

After all this is a free post. Share your opinion on the subject.
I try and encourage free range chicken, beef raised without hormones, etc. by buying those products. I might even go out of my way to find them. But, if I need something and what is available is a conventional product then I will buy it.