Wireless Router

My Cisco wireless router that I've had since July, went kaput. Are there better ones available?

Thanks
Check the paperwork, it may still be under warranty.

Wireless routers have gotten pretty cheap. I'm on my second Belkin right now. I tend to trust Belkin products. If you get a new one, go for the N/backward compatible one.
It's not under warranty anymore. Cisco is showing that it's a 2009 model. Thanks for the advice.

oxo
Then only routers I've had non-issues with were Netgear.
The secret to keeping these things alive is to keep them cool.

Gear makers divide this class of product into consumer and professional. The consumer grade devices are cheap, but they get that way by not having things like proper cooling. Dump one of these consumer units on the carpet in the dead air behind your desk like most people do and the heat will eat it up in a couple of months.

We only use pro-grade units with integrated cooling at the office and we've never had one drop dead. They also cost 10X the consumer grade units, though. It's the price you pay for reliability.

I'd suggest just getting another cheapo box and sticking it somewhere that it has adequate air flow around it. I've had a consumer unit mounted on the wall in my basement for more than five years now with no hint of problem. You just have to let it go with the flow.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Good Morning Anova,

Sorry to hear about the death of your router! I have had a Cradlepoint MBR 900 hooked up to Clear's 4G wireless web for a little over a year and it rocks! It cost me a $.5 at Frye's and I have had no complaints. Best of luck to you...always play safe!

Make it a GREAT day!

John4:20
I've have great luck with Cisco's wireless stuff. Of course the consumer grade stuff is much lower in quality, but even their higher end consumer stuff holds up pretty well. Try the WRVS4400N.
The secret to keeping these things alive is to keep them cool.

Gear makers divide this class of product into consumer and professional. The consumer grade devices are cheap, but they get that way by not having things like proper cooling. Dump one of these consumer units on the carpet in the dead air behind your desk like most people do and the heat will eat it up in a couple of months.

We only use pro-grade units with integrated cooling at the office and we've never had one drop dead. They also cost 10X the consumer grade units, though. It's the price you pay for reliability.

I'd suggest just getting another cheapo box and sticking it somewhere that it has adequate air flow around it. I've had a consumer unit mounted on the wall in my basement for more than five years now with no hint of problem. You just have to let it go with the flow.

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Yeah, I don't know how many people's home office setup I've seen with all of these appliances stacked up in a corner...let 'em breathe

As it relates to reliability, if you can afford to have your "network" down for the half hour to an hour it takes to run to Best Buy and get a new one, I suggest the consumer unit is just fine
Okay listen, other than keeping my stuff on ice, there's nothing else I can do to keep it cooler. I simply need better equipment.
It's not under warranty anymore. Cisco is showing that it's a 2009 model. Thanks for the advice.

oxo Originally Posted by anova444
BTW, check with TTH or anothe lawyer on the board, but the warranty runs from the date of purchase...not the date it was made. IDK how long the warranty is for this (probly at most 2 years, but electronics tend to have shorter ones, like 90 days), but check it out.
Trend-net, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, they're all commodities and it's a matter of what's cheap that day. I think wireless N was available in 2009 but certainly get one with that now. B/G are ancient/legacy products.
Surf here:
http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/ne...802.11n_router
  • Mokoa
  • 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
My Linksys (made by Cisco) wireless router has been running flawlessly for a few years now. It sits out of the way on a shelf next to the cable modem and they both have plenty of room for cooling.

Yes, for electronics heat is their worst enemy next to water.
Yes, for electronics heat is their worst enemy next to water. Originally Posted by Mokoa
Hmm. I'm guessing that block of ice isn't going to help.
I went to Fry's and got a Netgear VPN Firewall 8. It's in a cool place where it gets plenty of fresh air. Going from wireless to wired feels like a ball and chain.
Linksys was purchased by Cisco. I have seen a lot of reports of the newer Cisco routers failing. The ones with the issue were the sleek looking flat ones. They did not vent properly because they sat flat and the vents were being blocked or something. Netgear is pretty good. They have a lifetime warranty on most of their switches and I assume the routers too. Make sure and register it online and save your paperwork. Good Luck.