Waco Kid's college football Finals

Each week upcoming games can be discussed and predictions made, name-calling after victories and general all-around college football discussion! Each week will be closed out by the next Monday and a new thread opened for the current college football schedule for each week.

Rules -

"Rules?? We don't need no stinkin’ rules!”

Actually we do.

WKWCFR rule 1

"Lies, damn lies and statistics!"

British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli

If you quote a stat, record, 3rd down conversion rate, an all-time mark or the number of jock straps an 85-man team needs ...

Post it! If you can't post a link to it, it's bogus!
What's valid in the Internet age? Just about anything! Any of the major sports publications, local newspapers, any of the big networks and official school and NCAA sites just to cover the big ones.

WKWCFR rule 2

Predictions must be posted 1 day in advance! If you haven't read the sports page and figgured out who's going to win by the day before ya never will!

Must be time stamped before Midnight the day before game-day, for any weekly games Thur-Sun on the current weekly schedule.

So there you have it, pretty basic! You can post on general topics of your favorite teams regardless of that week's opponent. Just remember WKWCFR rule 1

Monday, January 11

CFP Championship 8:30 PM EST ESPN
(2) Alabama vs. (1) Clemson TixYahoo Calendar

WINNER: Clemson

Why? Why not? i've championed Clemson all season, why stop now? plus Bama has not seen an offense as dynamic as Clemson's all year.

Saban is 4-0 in title games. i'm betting that will fall to 4-1.

Going ALL IN with Dabo.

Why? Why not? i've championed Clemson all season, why stop now? plus Bama has not seen an offense as dynamic as Clemson's all year.

Going ALL IN with Dabo.[/QUOTE]

Clemson beat a weak opponent in Oklahoma who got lucky Baylor's qb went down

Their signature CLOSE wins over a gutty but talentless notre dame and an even weaker North Carolina are misleading

As much as I would like some team other than Alabama to win, it won't happen barring a bunch of turnovers

It is likely to be a relatively low scoring affair with bama's d line dominating

As far as Dabo, the way he treated his punter on natl tv was woody Hayes-esque

I have no use for him

Going ALL IN with Dabo. Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Clemson beat a weak opponent in Oklahoma who got lucky Baylor's qb went down

Their signature CLOSE wins over a gutty but talentless notre dame and an even weaker North Carolina are misleading

As much as I would like some team other than Alabama to win, it won't happen barring a bunch of turnovers

It is likely to be a relatively low scoring affair with bama's d line dominating

As far as Dabo, the way he treated his punter on natl tv was woody Hayes-esque

I have no use for him[/QUOTE]

Clemson pulled away from ZerOU and won 37-17. your argument might be more valid if Clemson hadn't won so easily.

Clearly, ZerOU benefited during the TCU and Baylor games where those teams had to play backup QB's. But ZerOU also had the same thing happen in the TCU game. it's football. no way to know now if ZerOU would have won both those games or not with the starting QB's for TCU and Baylor playing.

i disagree on your comments on ND and UNC. ND actually impressed me this year with how they responded after losing their QB early in the year. and i have no love for ND so they have earn any respect they get from TWK lol.

Larry Fedora is an excellent coach and it's no surprise he has UNC playing at a high level now. they haven't been this good since Mack Brown was there. that was 1997 btw.

Alabama defeated Michigan State easily as well, which surprised me. that game should have been a slugfest as both teams have similar styles on offense and typically have very good defenses. Would you call Sparty a "weak" opponent given how Alabama dominated?

ironically, it was a bowl game against Clemson that Woody Hayes punched a Clemson player. So Dabo jumped that punter's ass? he didn't punch him like Hayes did, and he screwed up. so Dabo chewed him out.

i'll say this, if Bama's defense dominates, especially the dline, it's going to be a long day for Clemson.
Monday, January 11

(2) Alabama 45 - 40 (1) Clemson Final

Bama gets it done. that's who Saban is. that onside kick was against Saban's norm but he called it right and they recovered it. Bama wins.

give the man a houndstooth hat.

Needs one more for the right to the hat

Clemson was tenacious, I'll give them that. Better team than I imagined. It's hard to win the first time on the stage, almost never happens

They kept bama's defense spread out

Special team play and coaching, that saved alabama
  • WTF
  • 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM
I bet the Tigers plus the 3.5 in the first half and 7 for the game....when they lost their best defensive back early in the first half that concerned me, so I bet 'bama minus the 3.5 in the 2nd half to win a rare middle. The 2pt attempt almost sunk me. 'bama's defense had trouble with good mobile QB's all year. I still think the Tigers win if healthy even with all the special teams miscues. But they were not healthy and they were out played big time in special teams.
Clemson had too many coverage breakdowns. Letting the TE get behind them like that for two scores was inexcusable. In one case the FS completely ignored him out behind the WR. Coker must have been salivating. He laid the ball in there like a pro both times and let Howard just run under it. Too easy.
Across the board I thought Clemson was a more talented and faster team. Alabama was stronger and better prepared.
Although I was pulling for 'Bama, I took Clemson and the 6 1/2 at Kickoff. I was thrilled to see them march down the field and close it to 5.

I should take my winnings and fly up to NY and hire one of Elliot Spitzers "Diamond Girls".
Needs one more for the right to the hat

perhaps. all of Bryant's titles were voted, as was the norm of the day. i've said before that if you had a playoff format back in the day half of the voted champs woulda been upset by someone.

hard to say if Bryant's 6 voted titles vs. Saban's 5 won on the field are really equal.

by "hard count" i'd say yeah Saban needs one more.

Clemson was tenacious, I'll give them that. Better team than I imagined. It's hard to win the first time on the stage, almost never happens

They kept bama's defense spread out

Special team play and coaching, that saved alabama Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought

yep. Clemson was better than many gave them credit for.

i was not surprised that at some point if the game was close that Saban would go against his type, i.e. conservative. he knows other teams expect him to play it close to the vest and most of the time he does.

he will take a risk if needed to win, and of course figuring the opponent won't expect it.

he tried a fake punt on Texas in 2009 early in the game, Texas covered it but it's the fact that he pulled a fake punt early looking to catch Texas not prepared that matters.
I bet the Tigers plus the 3.5 in the first half and 7 for the game....when they lost their best defensive back early in the first half that concerned me, so I bet 'bama minus the 3.5 in the 2nd half to win a rare middle. The 2pt attempt almost sunk me. 'bama's defense had trouble with good mobile QB's all year. I still think the Tigers win if healthy even with all the special teams miscues. But they were not healthy and they were out played big time in special teams. Originally Posted by WTF
both teams played 15 games. it takes a toll. Bama was healthier with it's key players, but it could just as easily been Bama with some guys limping around out there.

that's mainly why i rolled the dice in favor of Clemson. Bama's one issue on defense was defending a mobile QB, that didn't factor as much as many think in their loss to Ole Miss, it was Bama's turnovers that did them in there, but they gave up a lot of points to Ole Miss which showed a mobile QB can cause problems for Bama.

Clemson had too many coverage breakdowns. Letting the TE get behind them like that for two scores was inexcusable. In one case the FS completely ignored him out behind the WR. Coker must have been salivating. He laid the ball in there like a pro both times and let Howard just run under it. Too easy.
Across the board I thought Clemson was a more talented and faster team. Alabama was stronger and better prepared. Originally Posted by boardman
Clemson certainly has speed guys, probably they were faster overall player to player than Bama. No doubt Bama's defensive line is strong, but Clemson executed well and held their own. if not it would have been a Bama route.

give some cred to Lame Kiffy lol. he's made Bama's offense less staid and predictable. he'll take a few shots and for the most part he makes some great calls doing that.

many many people scratched their heads when Saban hired Kiffin. Me, not so much, given his background at USC under Carrol who played a similar pro style offense.

hiring Kiffin as OC has already paid dividends i.e. a title and is looking now like one of the most savvy hires Saban's ever made.

it will be interesting to see what happens at Bama when Saban leaves, does Kiffin get a look at HC, if he's still there? he probably should. Forget the Raiders, Lombardi couldn't do much with them, Kiffin wasn't really ready to be a HC in college, at USC given the expectations there are the same as Bama's, they expect to win.

Like Pete Carrol, Kiffin likely benefited from his failures and like Carrol in the pros Kiffin has a much better chance to succeed (later that is, not now so much) as a HC in college.

• WTF
  • 01-12-2016, 01:23 PM
I liked the Clemson late cover...I had the Bengals on a ML bet Saturday

Denver

KC

Cam

Arizona

Are my picks this week.
I liked the Clemson late cover...I had the Bengals on a ML bet Saturday

Denver

KC

Cam

Arizona

Are my picks this week. Originally Posted by WTF
lol so yer just gonna refer to the Carolina Panthers as "Cam" are ya? might as well. the guy is more than living up to the hype that got put on him coming out of college.

if you are taking KC to cover, i'm OK with that, but i wouldn't take them to win over the Pats.
  • WTF
  • 01-12-2016, 03:56 PM
I bet the Panthers at 2.5 as soon as the line came out and Denver at 6. I'm not touching KC unless NE's Oline is still banged up...i will take the points and bet the ML too.

Shit i think the Cards are gonna roll the Pack. GB has not beaten a good team yet. Washington won the NFC east!

I'll probably get drilled this weekend , I'm fighting getting cocky .... been on a roll. Spent Christmas/NY in Vegas playing on their dime.