Scheduling issues

I may be out of line--but it's an automatic shut-down for me when an unknown client (especially one not registered on any site) starts off asking what rates are.

Those in the know--usually safe bets--start off with their name, where they found me, handles, etc. Being in Tuscaloosa or any LE heavy area just doesn't lend itself to entertaining odd, already answered on profile, questions. I don't mind the work, but providers shouldn't have to pull every ounce of info out of a new client.

Trusting my instinct is a great thing, but losing business because of over sites in initial communication seems like a waste.

?
You are right to be careful.If the guy had done any amount of research he should not have to ask for rates height weight, If that info is on your web site or other ads you may have running.Play safely.
I find it helpful when a provider does list common info on her post, showcase or website. Height, weight, age - menu items - off the menu and other 'policies/preferences', rates, preferred or available hours/day of service, screening requirements, etc.

.... and general location of incall. The incall area is especially important in larger urban areas where distance and traffic can be significant issues for both parties.