new messages & subscriptions

1. question, how long does messages stay new?

2. with regard to subscriptions, is there any sort of difference between paid subscribers and subscribers by review posting?
  • HSP
  • 02-16-2010, 10:46 AM
1. question, how long does messages stay new?

2. with regard to subscriptions, is there any sort of difference between paid subscribers and subscribers by review posting? Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm

1. If you are referring to Private Messages, then the answer is they stay new until you open them.

2. There is absolutely no difference between a paid membership and one earned through a review. They are both are given the same access.

Thanks for the questions!
HSP
1. If you are referring to Private Messages, then the answer is they stay new until you open them.

2. There is absolutely no difference between a paid membership and one earned through a review. They are both are given the same access.

Thanks for the questions!
HSP Originally Posted by hspaperman

I was refering to the forum messages. I had noticed that unread messages stay unread for a while then next day or so, they're in "read" status.

I thought at least your board would be different on the way membership access is handled.

Personally, imo, I think paid members should have more weight than members by review in terms of access (as for what kind, I don't know).
dilbert,

Why should paid members on a Review Board have more weight than members that post Reviews?
I think it maybe should be the other way around. It might encourage more reviews. IMO

You still owe me for the avatar.
Why should paid members on a Review Board have more weight than members that post Reviews? Originally Posted by leglover05
isn't it obvious, paid members should have more weight than members who posts reviews as they provide revenue for the board & defray costs incurred in its operation.

review posters on the other hand only bring in content, but not revenue for the board upkeep.

if the board was a labor of love like ASPD was (which unfortunately was part of the problem), then that deal may make sense, but if the boards is to be run as a business, its a different matter.

I'm not opposed to freebies, but just not at the same level as paid members.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The paying member does not create more revenue in the long run, unlike the review posting member. The more Reviews a Review board has, the more new members it will attract. Some of which will become paying members, now and in the future.

So sorry, it is not obvious that paying members should have more weight.
  • HSP
  • 02-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Everyone gets treated the same ... and as far as the messages staying "New" not sure on that one but I notice that from time to time too. I'll see what I can find out!
I think it maybe should be the other way around. It might encourage more reviews. IMO

You still owe me for the avatar. Originally Posted by rpmsouth
How about two beers at our favorite beer joint?
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The paying member does not create more revenue in the long run, unlike the review posting member. The more Reviews a Review board has, the more new members it will attract. Some of which will become paying members, now and in the future.

So sorry, it is not obvious that paying members should have more weight. Originally Posted by leglover05
if you ask me, the egg came first. besides, the chicken & egg is apples and oranges. theres no similarity between that and this board.

the fact that there is an incentive or inducement to post a review for a free limited subscription shows why it is a not a revenue generator. those free subscribers eventually wise up and subscribe to support the board and they can post reviews at their leisure. now some are prolific review posters and for them, its really not an issue. at some point writing reviews does get old.

internet access & servers & coding are not cheap, but the advertising revenue (while not part of this discussion) helps pay for it as do paid subscriptions.

Its why paid subscribers should not have the same access then review subscribers. TNSTAAFL! at least not for this board.

I know you don't like my opinion on this and you're not going to change my mind on this just as you're not going to change your opinion on it.

agree to disagree.....
Everyone gets treated the same ... and as far as the messages staying "New" not sure on that one but I notice that from time to time too. I'll see what I can find out! Originally Posted by HSP

thanx for the response

.......I know you don't like my opinion on this and you're not going to change my mind on this just as you're not going to change your opinion on it.

agree to disagree..... Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
That's cool! Have always enjoyed reading most of your post.

leglover