Hustlers . . .The Movie

So i finally saw most of Hustlers" the other day. How Lame!

I know it is supposed to be based on some real-life story as reported in a Magazine, but really. . . .it seems to me that the folks involved with the show, from producer, director and on down to the actors didn't really understand the whole set of mutually exploitive dynamics involved.

Lopez and Wu did a lot of pre shooting prep in learning how to pole dance. Most guys are sort of "So what?" about pole skills. At one point, Constance Wu said in an interview that she had actually gone out to a strip club and got a job dancing for (she said0 one night. She was surprised to find that she cleared $1,000. She was also surprised to find that the guys there, " . . . don't really care how good you dance when you are naked."

I mean, for most guys, it is not really about the "dancing". What most guys want is FIV with BBBJ or full service for as little as it takes. What is the surprise there?
its a dirty business, with scams, exploits, crooked club owners, pimps, drugs, pervs, cops, gov officials, normal men n women. Non of it politically correct. Its hard to make a WOKE movie about a subject so basic in human nature.

I thought the movie was simplistic and unrealistic. I am sure most strippers laughed at it thinking that shit wouldn't never fly in real life.
it always confused me with another movie, by Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson, also two female criminals and con artists.
  • Magik
  • 07-31-2020, 08:13 AM
Its hard to make a WOKE movie about a subject so basic in human nature. Originally Posted by Snuggles
This. I actually enjoyed the film itself, but it was no doubt a square movie for square audiences.
I had read that lopez was surprised and disapointed when the movie didn't get any Oscar nominations at all. Seems she invested a lot of herself into it.

Several years ago, Jenifer Aniston did a comedy film where her character was a stripper. I saw an interview with her where she was asked about doing any serious training or research . . .she disdainfully said no and in other remarks suggested that portraying a stripper just wasn't that hard to do.
its a dirty business, with scams, exploits, crooked club owners, pimps, drugs, pervs, cops, gov officials, normal men n women. Originally Posted by Snuggles
This.

I remember one night talking to a stripper about the economics of it. The later they arrive, the higher their "tip out" fee is. A cut to the manager when they are giving private dances. A cut to the DJ, or he'll play music they either don't like or is too long/too short. A cut to the waitresses. Everyone has their hands in the money. And that's the tip of the iceberg. I remember another dancer telling me that one girl made more selling "party favors" at the club than she did dancing. The list goes on and on.