Where do you get your value system from?

Is it Judeo Christian ? The founding fathers of the U.S.?
Buddhism?
What if you are agnostic or aithiest?
Harvard was granted over a million dollars back in the 70's to teach a class on morals but they returned the money because they couldn't come to a consensus on who's morals to teach.
  • npita
  • 01-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I get my values from (1) my parents; (2) my advisors from when I was in graduate school; (3) my provider friend TO Becky (board owner) whose advice in the hobby was ``Always do the right thing;'' and (4) others whom I respect and admire.

(I am an athiest.)
Lawd have mercy!
I have a tendency to pull from Canon Law but have deviated it to fit what I was taught by family and mentors. At the end of the day right is right and wrong is wrong. The only thing in question is liberty and how much each person should have. For example I think almost all people recognize that it is wrong neglect children, the only thing left in question is how old is a child still a child...Most people would feed a hungry person and not deny them food.....

I guess I would have to retract the first statement and state that it is Humanitarian beliefs I hold to be true.....I guess my question in return is what violates your personal constitution?
This could be a can of the famous worms. But like npita from my parents and my adviser in graduate school. Also many dive buddies and fellow sail and dive instructors.
Dude!
  • WTF
  • 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
My guess is the Mega Church's will team with Wal-Mart and drive the costs of a value system down to next to nothing.:

You ever heard that you can lead a value system to water but you can't make it quit staring at itself?
I'm waiting for someone to say "Lakewood Church" or "Joel Osteen"
I listen to the cricket.
When you get in trouble and you don't know right from wrong
Give a little whistle! Give a little whistle!
When you meet temptation and the urge is very strong
Not just a little squeak, pucker up and blow
And if your whistle's weak, yell, "Jiminy Cricket!"
Right!

Take the straight and narrow path
And if you start to slide
And always let your conscience be your guide

I listen to my conscience. If it is wrong, you know it. If you feel guilty, don't do it.
People don't seem to understand that the little voice in the back of their head knows what's going on.
deleted
My guess is the Mega Church's will team with Wal-Mart and drive the costs of a value system down to next to nothing.:

You ever heard that you can lead a value system to water but you can't make it quit staring at itself? Originally Posted by WTF
LMAO
  • WTF
  • 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
People don't seem to understand that the little voice in the back of their head knows what's going on. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
What about people that do not hear a voice?

What about people the hear an evil voice.

It seems you are headed towards God with that lil voice.