An Alfred Hitchcock Moment

I'm touring in Dallas.

I leave my hotel to walk to the drug store.

All of the sudden I see birds.

Not 1 or 2.

I see hundreds and hundreds of birds.

It looks like something out of The Birds.

They are sitting on roofs of buildings. They are sitting on the power lines. They are flying above me and they are pretty freakin low.

What the heck is up with the birds in Dallas.

It was a true Alfred Hitchcock, Tippi Hedrin moment. I was never so scared in my life.

They were EVERYWHERE.

I finally got across the street and was so freaked out. OMG.

I'm having panic attacks about going outside.

Other than that...I am having a good time here.

Kelly
  • ODN25
  • 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
They are most likely Grackles. They are winter visitors to the Metroplex. They make a lot of noise and sometimes fly close to people. I haven't really heard of them attacking.

Let's just hope you don't have a pair of lovebirds in a cage in your car.
For all you Plano folks, this time of the year, check out the Shell station at dusk, at Tollway and Park. The trees are literally loaded with birds, scares the shit out of you. If you stop at the red light in the left hand turn lane, I don't wanna tell you what you car looks like afterwards
Kelly -- Come to San Antone and check out either downtown (around the River Walk) or the area around North Star Mall around dawn or dusk. Better wear a pair of "Depends" -- so scary, you could wind up doing the same as the grackles!
Same thing in Houston ... Bird migrate south for winter.
Thank you so much for all of your replies. I am going to be in San Antonio and I did hear about the bats. I'm really loving the weather and the people and the food. But birds and bats I can do without.
Attached Images File Type: jpg birds-avocation.jpg (78.3 KB, 72 views)
We're famous for our midges. Itsy-bitsy, harmless bugs that come off Lake Erie by the trilliions. They sure came in handy in the baseball playoffs a couple years ago!!! Those guys were freaked out after inhaling and eating dozens of them!! I thought it was hysterical!
Thank you so much for all of your replies. I am going to be in San Antonio and I did hear about the bats. I'm really loving the weather and the people and the food. But birds and bats I can do without. Originally Posted by KellyShannon
Austin is famous for the bats...maybe SA, too.
Aw, I love the ridiculous, stupidly huge flocks of birds! I like rolling down my window to listen to them when I'm stopped at intersections.

- Carrie,
tree huggin' bird lovin' hippie