See and Do?..

Visiting Kansas City this week for the first time...wondering what's to see and do? Good resturants?...
Welcome to the area!
Here are some general answers that would be pretty safe for a single female -
- Downtown Power and Light District has multiple restaurants to chose from, good underground parking;
- Plaza areas has multiple restaurants and mid-upscale shopping;
You can do a web-search and come up with directions to these places.
Good luck and enjoy your time here!
Visiting Kansas City this week for the first time...wondering what's to see and do? Good resturants?... Originally Posted by Lacylynn

KC is famous for the slowly cooked meat. Try Rosedales, Oklahoma Joe's. I don't like Gates, my personal evaluation.

JR
Thanks...looking forward to it!
Only world class institution is "The Nelson".

Regional things start with the Plaza, Crown Center and The Power and Light District. Lesser known areas include the Freight House District, (to lazy to type all of them)....sent you a pm if you want more info.

have fun,

jussaymo
World War I Museum:

http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new...community.aspx

I've never been...but heard good things about it.
Oh Em Gee... KC has lots to do here!!

As far as places to eat... One of my favorites down on Westport Road is called McCoy's--although they have some great stuff on the menu, I usually go for comfort food like the Mac & Cheese with grilled chicken and their bread pudding (made with a chocolate crossant) for dessert. For brazilian BBQ... check out Em Chamas. Regular BBQ... I really enjoy Jack Stack (several locations in town). Ingredient is located in Overland Park/Leawood and Downtown KC... they have great offerings for breakfast and lunch... heck they're even open for dinner

Like sushi? I really enjoy going to RA in Leawood... there is a great gellato place near there which is a great dessert option! Oh and Cafe Roux is also in that same area... lots of good eats there. Brio & "McCormick & Schmick" are two spots on the plaza which offer great food and service however are on the higher end of the cost spectrum.

For authentic mexican food I like Taco Express (their pastor tacos are da bomb with some horchata)... And El Patron is my second favorite spot with much more polish than Taco Express.

If you want really good (and large) wings with a nice beer selection... my vote goes to "the Peanut". Also, another spot in town with some unique offerings on the menu is Rhythm & Booze in the Crossroads Art District downtown... Tacos on thursday (I order mine with medium sauce) are outstanding... save room for dessert--the cornbread is a nice choice (trust me it is a dessert).

I honestly could go on and on about the food here in town Its a wonder why I'm so lean.
Didn't want to say this but see me do me I know corny but funny right
Oh Em Gee... KC has lots to do here!!.....
Like sushi? I really enjoy going to RA in Leawood... Originally Posted by FireSerpent
Great comments. For Sushi, I like Jun's: 7660 State Line Road; Prairie Village, KS. (Hy Vee strip mall) They are one of the best raw fish places in the country. I don't think they advertise much, they don't have to. Jun's is the oldest Sushi joint in town. Old enough for Jun to retire and move back to Japan. John is now one of the guys to talk to. Ask him (he usually works the middle position at the Sushi Bar) to get you something special. This place is the real deal, I have been around town to check others out, and most are just an imitation of what Sushi should be. The guys here are trained as real Sushi Chefs, and it shows. Without a doubt, it is the freshest fish in town. When I go out I want something, that I can't fix at home.

For Thai, I think the best in town is a small place called Bangkok Pavilion at about 96th and Medcalf; Overland Park, KS in the Windmill Mall; across the street from Medcalf South. Ask for David, let him know how you want it, really hot or mild to get all of the flavor. These people really are from Thailand. Wonderful service. My favorite is the whole Red Snapper, deep fried with chili sauce (I ask for mild so all the flavors come through), about $24.00. or get a filet for less.

Both of these places are what they are. Quiet and good food, and no blaring music, no pasta.

If you want Italian, the best in town is Anthony's at about 7th and Grand. A small family place. Owned for generations by one family. I think they have the best Veal in town. Or get a steak, they don't advertise it but they buy the best meat they can. The last Filet Mignon I got just melted in my mouth. Great people and great service, and a quiet place you can talk.

You can probably tell, I like the small, but great, places that don't have the huge crowds.

JR
  • KCJoe
  • 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
World War I Museum:

http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new...community.aspx

I've never been...but heard good things about it. Originally Posted by lacrew_2000
Been there twice and plan on going back. There is no excuse for a KC resident not to have visited this place. Well worth the effort.
Has anyone see lacylynn?