Oh my, Mitch says there must be a Trial if impeached

• WTF
  • 09-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Is he really going to hold a trial? Or is those just bargaining chips to use against Trump for something in return?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...z&ocid=U221DHP

The Senate majority leader comments come days after House speaker Nancy Pelosi announced an impeachment inquiry over whether Trump improperly pressured Ukraine to investigate his political rival, Joe Biden.
  • Tiny
  • 09-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Think about it. The House impeaches the President, so under Senate rules, McConnell is supposed to hold a trial. Say he or the majority of the Senate decides to change the rules so there's no trial. Democratic voters are going to be up in arms and this would increase Democratic turnout in the 2020 election. On the other hand, if the Senate goes ahead with the trial (and they will almost certainly vote to acquit), then you're removing that motivation for Democratic voters to be fired up. And you've still got Republicans pissed because the House voted to impeach. Not to mention that changing Senate rules is not necessarily a good idea. For example, someday you may have Senators Biden and Warren and like minded people with a majority in the Senate, and if they do away with the filibuster, justifying it based on what McConnell did, it's not a good thing for Republicans.

The flaw in my theory might be how people are affected by any evidence presented in the course of the Senate trial. I don't know how that would work out.
  • WTF
  • 09-30-2019, 12:12 PM
For example, someday you may have Senators Biden and Warren and like minded people with a majority in the Senate, and if they do away with the filibuster, justifying it based on what McConnell did, it's not a good thing for Republicans. Originally Posted by Tiny
We are way past that with the majority SC votes.

If Mitch holds a full blown trial....and from my understanding there are different directions he can take this.....it would not be good for Trump.

• Tiny
  • 09-30-2019, 12:17 PM
We are way past that with the majority SC votes. Originally Posted by WTF
I was about to write Schumer wouldn't do that, then Googled it. This is scary:

https://www.apnews.com/210b5d7948f943aa809276f868617a16

A sad fate for ol' Trumpy
The Constitution says that if the House does vote Articles of Impeachment, the Senate must hold a trial.

Is this suppose to be a big secret?
The Constitution says that if the House does vote Articles of Impeachment, the Senate must hold a trial.

Is this suppose to be a big secret? Originally Posted by Jackie S

No...just strange that a Republican may actually follow the constitution
  • WTF
  • 09-30-2019, 12:30 PM
I was about to write Schumer wouldn't do that, then Googled it. This is scary:

https://www.apnews.com/210b5d7948f943aa809276f868617a16 Originally Posted by Tiny
The GOP did it with the most important vote short of War....not that they vote on that anymore. The Supreme Court vote....is majority rule thanks to Mitch.

Of course we are headed there. ….and it really is both parties fault.

Gerrymandering will get you these results.
Great! Mitch can call lots of people they can grill. Morons like GoNadler and Shithead will have to prove their case. Good luck.
President Donald Trump has placed himself squarely in Camp Scrap, urging Senate Republicans to get rid of the filibuster so that the GOP can muscle through legislation on controversial issues like immigration without needing bipartisan support.
Great! Mitch can call lots of people they can grill. Morons like GoNadler and Shithead will have to prove their case. Good luck. Originally Posted by bambino
and biden and little biden

and obama
will Gulliani respond to the subpoena? try to assert executive privilege? attorney-client privacy?

that dirt bag should be in prison.
will Gulliani respond to the subpoena? try to assert executive privilege? attorney-client privacy?

that dirt bag should be in prison. Originally Posted by Chung Tran

he'll show up and claim executive privilege/attorney-client privilege.

you got a problem with that?
he'll show up and claim executive privilege/attorney-client privilege.

you got a problem with that? Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
no.. not if the response is to handcuff the dirt bag.