Asking for a lawyer when confronted by LE

There is a lot of advice here and on the interwebs that when confronted by law enforcement, to just state your name and ask for a lawyer. I agree that it is very good advice.

I don't have a lot of experience dealing with criminal defense attorneys. The only info I have is second hand. Someone I know needed a criminal defense attorney for some white collar minor issue. All the lawyers that were contacted wanted 10 - 15K retainer for representation. My understanding was that the amount would be used up and needed replenished, even before charges if any, were filed.

Granted, this may not be the norm, so how much money should one keep stashed, should such an eventuality arise. What would it take to call your lawyer.

I presume, it would be too late to be shopping for a lawyer at the time of encounter.

So with these practical matters in mind, how does one prepare for the unfortunate eventuality.

Do any of you have attorneys on retainers for such situations?
If you’re really serious about being prepared, contact a lawyer with your specific legal worries and place him/her on retainer, if it’s hobby related it will be far less than 10k. Ask for the procedure to contact if arrested (usually it’s best to memorize the phone number of a bail bond agency that the lawyer suggests. They should accept collect calls 24/7. Also memorize the attorney’s number and put both numbers discreetly in your phone.

It’s always good to be prepared and keep your mouth shut, but even better to avoid contact with LE at all. Only visit with nice reputable ladies, pay for their time, have fun, if you want to have sexy talk at this point, cool...finish up and go home.

Don’t drink to excess, if they ask you to bring condoms, cease communication, and don’t carry a weapon to an incall.
Don't talk to cops video.

This was the best, free, 45 minutes of my biz planning.

A lawyer and a cop tell you why NOT to talk to the cops.
Don't talk to cops video.

This was the best, free, 45 minutes of my biz planning.

A lawyer and a cop tell you why NOT to talk to the cops. Originally Posted by Gabrielle
Most of us know the what and why in the advise given. My question is on how to implement the advise.

You decide to ask for an attorney, now what? Who do you call? Would they agree to represent you? How do you make payment arrangements?

This sort of stuff needs to be pre planned. I don't think you are entitled to a free attorney at point in the process.
If you don’t have someone on retainer, the first step is to get out of jail. Memorize a bail bondsman’s number. Many have one that is easy to remember like 555-777-BAIL etc.
Come on guys, listen to our cookie baker.

I'd bet you all actually know an attorney. All you need is one that will commit to answering your after hours phone call. And then that atty can refer the case to one of his buddies that specializes in whatever the situation is.

My handheld had several. But I drink with them. And amusingly for this thread, have never had to call any for the stuff you guys worry about.

Do any of you have attorneys on retainers for such situations? Originally Posted by MarkusH
Great thread :-)
Yes. I have an attorney on retainer that knows my situation, the legalities which could arise and has been retained with enough money post a misdemeanor bond (Class A) and begin representation on defense of such. If the unthinkable were to occur, and i were to be faced with fighting anything felonious, he would want a substantial amount more to move a muscle.
Come on guys, listen to our cookie baker.

I'd bet you all actually know an attorney. All you need is one that will commit to answering your after hours phone call. And then that atty can refer the case to one of his buddies that specializes in whatever the situation is.

My handheld had several. But I drink with them. And amusingly for this thread, have never had to call any for the stuff you guys worry about. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
Thanks, UC. Y’all are making this too hard. If you go to Spas, there is a decent chance you may end up there when LE shows up and depending on where you’re at in the session or if it’s a total sting like we had here, you may be taking a ride.

The most important thing is to get out of jail ASAP. It’s bad enough your SO is finding out, but if you don’t show up to work the next day, then you’re fucked, no?

But just do your damned research now and see who is good in your neighborhood. If you’re so inclined, pull up online court records and see who gets good results. It’s your life, it’s worth the trouble...

And Strawberry, I always enjoy your posts and viewpoint.
THANK YOU sexy !I enjoy yours as well!