Heat exhaustion?

I moved here from the north so I haven't experienced it before but what is it supposed to feel like and how do I cure it? I'm stuck at my Incall and don't want to get on the highway because I feel horribly faint and lightheaded. Any and all advice for this sorely afflicted northern girl is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Are you supposed to feel like your kidneys are being pressed with a vice? I know I should know this but my mind feels fuzzy at the moment. Again, thank you kindly.
Hydrate yourself. Set the A/C to 69-72. Never turn it off. Wear light clothing.
Have you been out in the heat - running, for example?

If your kidneys are 'sore' and you're lightheaded, you need to drink water immediately. Coconut water is really good, too. If you've been drinking alcohol (last night for example) that can really worsen the situation.

Many people in Texas are *never* probably hydrated - we drink a lot of iced tea which doesn't do the same at H20.

Hope you feel better.
Wait till summer gets here! Its not hot yet!

get used to deliberately drinking a lot of h2o and pacing yourself
I tend to get really bad headaches with my heat exhaustion as well. Also, kinda gross, but you can check your urine too. If it's anywhere from deep yellow to light brown, you are mildly to dangerously dehydrated and should drink a bottle or two of water straight away.
Late to the party but for future reference...by the time you are thirsty you are already behind the curve...Lots and lots of water. Some Gatorade to keep your electrolytes in balance.. Stay far far away from caffeine and keep alcohol consumption to a minimum... acclimate slowly.. x2 on the light colored clothing... believe it or not, long sleeves (cotton or other light fabric) will keep the moisture in better...A hat and lots of sunblock...

Not great for coloring outside the lines, but good for the rest of the time..
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I had to go to the ER and I landed myself here by my own doing. I stay away from salty food, don't drink alcohol ever and don't eat processed but I also barely drink water.

The doctors here said it was a severe case of dehydration coupled with the heat. I was lucky to come in before I caused damage to my kidneys. That being said I'll need plenty of bed rest now that I got IV fluids and I should hopefully be back on my feet tomorrow.

Again, thanks so much. The outpouring of concern definitely changed how I view eccie, which can sometimes be a hostile environment
Glad you saw a doc. Good you're feeling better. Drink water!
Three words...Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...

Oh wait....Maybe that's one word three times...

Anyway- valuable lesson learned with only $ damage...Glad it turned out well..

Was gonna say had a happy ending, but that could be interpreted wrong...
If I feel well enough, there could soon be a happy ending again ;3
Drink water and eat a regular diet......if your urine goes dark....you are not hydrated.

Lite clothing, and do most outside junk early morning or late evening.....

BTW.....it ain't hott yet. We are still in a weird cool spell from all the moisture we have had...
I'm a vegetarian and I supplement my diet with vitamins and minerals. I stay fit going on morning jogs, yoga and swimming. I unfortunately don't drink enough water, I opt for tea and it's not the same.

Lesson learned though and I'll stay in the shade and bring plenty of water when I'm camping next month
Well, are you OK now? Post here a time or two the next day or so.

Make sure someone knows where you are and check in with them a couple of times a day for the next day or two in case there are some after effects or if you actually had some medical problem in addition to the heat.

Sometimes there are after effects. I've even heard it said that once you get heat exhaustion, you're more susceptible in the future.

Definitely start drinking more water on a normal basis. Urine color is one way to check. It's not entirely reliable, but it helps. There are some color charts on the web.

Tea can be a diuretic and can make you more dehydrated, so be careful. Sometimes people think they're hydrated because they're producing a lot of urine, but you might not be if you're taking diuretics. It can also fool the urine color check. A vegetarian diet might also throw the color off. Check that your vitamins, minerals, supplements and prescription drugs don't have diuretic effects, either.

On hot days, the air conditioning can make the air really dry. I find that sometimes, if the humidity is really low, I get dehydrated without feeling thirsty. I try to keep a bottle of water around me at all times, and remember to drink fairly often.

Staying hydrated is especially important here in Texas, but long term, it helps out with a lot of other problems like kidney stones and general health no matter where you are.
GneissGuy is right. If you've ever suffered, it's likely that you'll suffer again, and perhaps quicker.
The urine check can be a good tool, except that I've found that on really hot days, I might not need to go for hours, all the fluid is going out as sweat.
The only real way to avoid it is to keep drinking water on a regular basis. Many other drinks, while containing water, are diuretics, especially tea and beer (damn it). They may taste great and are momentarily refreshing, but they may not help much.
And at first sign of symptoms (headache, dizziness, mental confusion, unusual soreness) seek out help, even if it's just calling a friend or neighbor who can watch over you.
Hello again and thank you everyone for your ongoing concern. The texts with well wishes and advice continue to pour in, you are all such lovely people!

I still have dull pain in my kidney today (I got pain pills and was told this will go away) and some lightheadedness so I am staying home and watching the World Cup while staying hydrated!

Any and all appts will be taken tomorrow, however I can book you via text message in advance.

Again, thank you kindly to everyone who has expressed concern. Texans truly are the best people :3