The delicate balance between public safety and constitutional rights

ToWhat do you think about these protests? Does anyone have any protests planned in your area?

Michigan just had one and there is one planned in Missouri next week and I'm sure there are others but those are the two I just read about.

Now I've been saying from the beginning -if this shutdown keeps going on that all hell would eventually break loose

Governors are also saying if people protest they will extend the stay-at-home orders.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/5147353002/
...Now I've been saying from the beginning -if this shutdown keeps going on that all hell would eventually break loose... Originally Posted by Sienna91

I dunno. But if I were to create a Bill of Rights, I think I would put something like: the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for redress of grievances up in first category of rights. After having: expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers,

Maybe that's crazy talk, but that could be a thing.
I don’t see what’s been done to the American people as a delicate balance, it is completely, unquestionably unconstitutional.
I don’t see what’s been done to the American people as a delicate balance, it is completely, unquestionably unconstitutional. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme

Seems I read something somewhere along the lines of:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and, you know - that thing and other stuff ( hat tip to Joe Biden) .--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Sounds like crazy talk, yet revolutionary at the same time.
Many of these same people backed the overthrow of a duly elected president with no evidence.

And they're still plotting.

They don't give a fuck about the constitution.
The constitution holds unless youre sick I guess.
Many of these same people backed the overthrow of a duly elected president with no evidence.
And they're still plotting.
They don't give a fuck about the constitution. Originally Posted by gnadfly
OK, those last two lines are flawlessly correct. But the first one needs just a tetch:

Many of these same people backed the overthrow of a duly elected president with made up evidence and Russian disinformation that they paid several million dollars to foreign nationals to fabricate.

And if you buy now, I'll throw in a free - they are evil f**ks.
Honestly I have no problem with people protesting I think it's their right as long as you can protest in a manner that doesn't have huge crowds of people right beside each other I'm cool with that but even if there are thousands of people right beside each other it is their right to protest

but honestly even if they were close together can you arrest people for standing too close or hugging? I don't know
but it sounds pretty against the law to arrest someone for standing beside another person .

you don't protest when you're happy about things and I think that's what people get confused about.

There's a reason why people across many states are organizing protests

And they want you to believe it's just the groups of extremist but that's actually not true at all

there are people who are protesting who seem completely normal and who are actually doing it by following social distancing measures which include being 6 feet apart or they're protesting in their car with signs

my fear is that the governors will try to flex their power so much that it causes some of the protesters to snap

most of these people that are protesting are willing to follow the six feet measures and stay away from groups that are susceptible to the illness but they just want to get back to work that's the reason they're protesting they want to be able to provide for their families
To be completely honest I'm actually surprised that no one has shot up something not that I want that to happen let's just be clear

Has anyone seen anyone arrested for breaking a social distancing measure?
To be completely honest I'm actually surprised that no one has shot up something not that I want that to happen let's just be clear

Has anyone seen anyone arrested for breaking a social distancing measure? Originally Posted by Sienna91
Citations issued several states.
There's a couple going to court.
Church folks in Kansas made the news recently for a lawsuit against Governors orders
Citations issued several states.
There's a couple going to court.
Church folks in Kansas made the news recently for a lawsuit against Governors orders Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
Yes I got the update about the church battle in Kansas I just didn't know if any arrest happened because of it
The constitution holds unless youre sick I guess. Originally Posted by Gotyour6
Well, it's rather simple. If you believe the Chinese over the current administration, then you will accept being herded into the confines of a public facility awaiting extermination to protect the upper class and government officials.

For the most part the "exceptions" to the Bill of Rights are crafted to meet the issues created by our evolving society as it relates to changes occurring after the industrial revolution and the general improvements of our lifestyle.

Those exceptions are crafted by the U.S. Supreme Court while at the same time recognizing some fundamental necessities to assure Government doesn't over-reach.

Clarence Thomas no long ago wrote on that concept, and well as Justice Roberts.