This year's exemplary food cities

According to the experts at Zagat, these are The 26 Hottest Food Cities of 2016. During my travels, I've had to opportunity to visit and dine in a dozen of these U.S. cities. Hopefully I can make it through the remainder of the list before 2017 is over! How did your city fare?

When I consider what cities to tour, I do my best to use levelheaded reasoning. But I must admit, inspiring art and culture and scrumptious food does influence my decision making process. If you consider yourself to be a foodie, how far have you traveled solely or predominantly based on partaking in highly sought after dining experiences?
Food is what I like the most. Just behind money, whiskey, wine, beer, and women! I am a hardcore foodie and travel often based on wanting to try out restaurants. Small confession, I travel to Cali quarterly for work, but really it's for my quarterly visit to French Laundry.... I have a problem. But you asked how far have I gone? I traveled to Spain to visit elBulli when it was open. An incredible experience and totally made the trip worth while. The food of elBulli and the rest of Spain over those two weeks still resonate deeply with me. I'm going to Vietnam in the fall on a foodie adventure as well!
Indeed. I've traveled about thirty minutes to a McDonalds one, quite adventurous, evening.
We do have some good food here in the DC area. But I'd gladly trade for some texas brisket any day.
I have had many an opportunity to travel around and try different spots around the cities that I have traveled. One of my favorites is in New Orleans. I am southern born and bred and there is nothing like Cajun food on the Mississippi. I am looking forward to enjoying it yet again when I travel down there on the 7th.
We do have some good food here in the DC area. But I'd gladly trade for some texas brisket any day. Originally Posted by CaptCroakers
Anyone with a good smoker, a good piece of brisket and patience can make "Texas" brisket. It is an acquired but not impossible skill. My brisket is very favorably received, but I follow the protocol of Aaron Franklin.

Here are three reputable brisket joints in the DC area:

1. Texas Jack's. Pit master Matt Lang has perfected the art of smoking briskets. Order from the moist, or deckle, side and marvel at how this ungainly slab of meat can be transformed into something so rich and rewarding with only a few seasonings, smoke and time.

2. Smokehouse Live. Co-owner Jim Foss used to be the director of D.C. operations at Hill Country, where he mastered the techniques of Texas-style brisket. Smokehouse Live's briskets now surpass those at the Penn Quarter meat market.

3. Hill Country. This East Coast ode to Central Texas barbecue produces a solid brisket, even if the meat cutters will, without permission, chop the beef instead of serving it in slices.
I do most of my play time in the Center City area of the No. 8th ranked Philadelphia. The beauty of Center City is that there are probably 20-30 top notch restaurants within easy walking distance. Other great places are a short cab ride away.

I feel sorry for the foreign visiting girls who don't have the language skills or sophisticated palates that would let them enjoy this culinary abundance. But those limitations wouldn't impede the providers who visit this forum.
D.C. in the house!
And hats off to #8 Philly a mere 2hr+ Amtrak ride away.
I'll be visiting the #2 listing Los Angeles for the first time in just 9 more days and the foodie in me is sooooo excited!
Thanks for posting! One of the Dallas-Ft Worth places is down the street from me!
Thanks for posting this list. One of my favorite things to do when traveling is to explore the food scene in whatever city I am in. This list will help me experience some new places.

There's great food to be found everywhere and I enjoy trying new dishes and experiencing new restaurants. While St. Louis isn't on this particular list, there are some amazing places to dine here and a huge variety that will accommodate anyone's tastes. I invite anyone visiting to ask me for some references when you're in the Lou.
Is it terrible that I would like to schedule a tour based on this list lol... I mean great food and bedroom cardio to work it off yumm. Just about everything in New Orleans makes drool just thinking about dining there.. And I had the best ever crab cake I've ever had in Maryland(and have been on the hunt, for great ones in Houston ever since lol). Thanks for the list, I will certainly be using this
No girl I'm the same way lol I think that would definitely be a good reason im greedy tho ��
I must admit I am indeed a foodie.Wow, just reading all these posts of the luscious places to dine. It's really tempting me, not only to travel but to indulge. I love extravagant food and tasting them on my tongue with all my senses.
As long as I am dining once in a while ... it's not going to affect my weight scale. Thanks.

Xoxo
Tiffany
www.tiffanychampagne.com
I'm not sure if I'd consider myself a foodie - I eat food just like any other human does, and since I've got to do it, I might as well make it amazing

I've been known to travel 100 miles or so in any direction when I get a craving for something specific... and have occasion even hop on a plane. While I have flown to Chicago specifically for Tru (is it still open?), most of those kinds of trips have been off to Europe.

As a New Englander, the food here is very, very good, so I'm spoiled. NYC is also a favorite destination of mine, though I can't say I've eaten at any of the establishments that Zagat recommended. Philly is quickly earning a soft spot with me as well!

I can't say it's the *sole* motivator on my part... but every time I travel to DC I always make sure to set aside a Sunday for Rose's Luxury

~Mme X~

Is it terrible that I would like to schedule a tour based on this list lol... I mean great food and bedroom cardio to work it off yumm. Just about everything in New Orleans makes drool just thinking about dining there.. And I had the best ever crab cake I've ever had in Maryland(and have been on the hunt, for great ones in Houston ever since lol). Thanks for the list, I will certainly be using this Originally Posted by Nikki D'Naughty
Not weird at all .... 1/2 the reason I've toured a lot of places I have is for the food haha. With a few local gents being the dessert lol.