New York declines to enforce prostitution laws

This article from Newsmax describes how New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. has implemented a policy to not prosecute prostitution cases, and the "wrong place, wrong time" city ordinance which makes lingering in a place where providers congregate a crime.

In Dallas County, Texas, where I predominately practice law, the new DA, John Creuzot, has not gone as far as to direct his underlings not to pursue prostitution cases, but I've noticed much less emphasis on these cases since he became the DA. His predecessor, (God bless her), was too wacky to have any coherent policies, and her predecessor, Craig Watkins, had a weird penchant for prosecuting so-called "crimes of morality" - that is, vice crimes - praise Jesus!

I'm glad to see, in this age of limited LE resources, that other Texas counties are deemphasizing enforcing prostitution laws, to varying degrees. Much information exists that strict enforcement of prostitution laws leads to underground prostitution, human trafficking, pimping, minors being providers, and what is, in effect, human slavery.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that hobbyists and providers should let their guard down. Y'all should still be wise and cautious so as to escape the clutches of John Law.

Be safe out there!

Manhattan DA Will Toss Out Prostitution Cases

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/1018521/16
It's funny...
It's funny... Originally Posted by LostInDallas
From the Libertarian Party Platform:

2.10 Sex Work

The Libertarian Party supports the decriminalization of prostitution. We assert the right of consenting adults to provide sexual services to clients for compensation, and the right of clients to purchase sexual services from consenting sex workers.
Just to clarify: The new non-prosecution policy hasn't been implemented only in Manhattan. The article notes that Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx have also followed suit.

btw, Manhattan is one of the five boroughs of NYC, not a city unto itself.
Jon,
The last paragraph of your 1st post I think is the key.
Discussion in my area is that folks will let their shields slip down and get burned.
  • zont
  • 04-22-2021, 02:56 PM
Considering the "true needs" of the folks in NYC, I would expect the John Law of the jurisdiction to pursue selected targets strictly to collect the ridiculously high NYC taxes that may not be volunteered by said targets.

After all, they announced that they intended to tax the medical professionals who "answered the call" by running up to help with the COVID situation when they (IMHO) truly needed the help.
Considering the "true needs" of the folks in NYC, I would expect the John Law of the jurisdiction to pursue selected targets strictly to collect the ridiculously high NYC taxes that may not be volunteered by said targets.

After all, they announced that they intended to tax the medical professionals who "answered the call" by running up to help with the COVID situation when they (IMHO) truly needed the help. Originally Posted by zont
A person convicted of an offense can't be (legally) required to pay taxes as punishment (unless the offense is tax evasion). The convicted person may pay a fine, which usually goes into the administrative fund of the county's court system.
FWIW, I think this is a movement that will spread quickly to other 21st Century cities, like Philly, Seattle, Austin, Miami, Denver, then gradually bleed into ''approaching'' 21st Century cities like Dallas and Houston. Not unlike Grass legalization..
CT. Good to see you back. Heading there Tuesday after a Dallas layover to warm up. Still have to fill out the Covid release.
  • zont
  • 04-23-2021, 03:28 PM
A person convicted of an offense can't be (legally) required to pay taxes as punishment (unless the offense is tax evasion). The convicted person may pay a fine, which usually goes into the administrative fund of the county's court system.

I was thinking tax evasion... correct
  • zont
  • 04-23-2021, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by zont
I was thinking tax evasion - correct
  • zont
  • 04-23-2021, 03:35 PM
A person convicted of an offense can't be (legally) required to pay taxes as punishment (unless the offense is tax evasion). The convicted person may pay a fine, which usually goes into the administrative fund of the county's court system. Originally Posted by ShysterJon
Exactly - was thinking that NYC might prefer a tax evasion version of "enforcement".
A word of warning-NYT reports the following about Cyrus Vance “will continue to prosecute other crimes related to prostitution, including patronizing sex workers and sex trafficking.” https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ution-1158879/
Can we assume that NYC will become a Monger-Mecca now?

I can see travel agents organizing Fall-Color tours of the North-East with a final stop over in NYC. The "BJ Bus Tour" or something like that.

With business occupancy and rental rates low due to the Pandemic, I'd also think someone would open several Pendulum Clube type places, or just a nice bar with private rooms (like at a hotel!).

The possibilities are endless.