Obama's Proposal for free 2 year college Tuition Good Idea or Bad Idea?

On surface this sounds like a good idea, however, I can see where some problems could arise. Let's face it- nothing that is promoted as "free' is truly free because someone is paying for it. I am going to hold back and wait on the full details of Obama's plan before I make a Yay or Nay decision.
You're never going to full details because Obama is going to drop this on the Congress who will not pass it. As you said, nothing is free and in government the rule of thumb everything is three times more expensive than the experts say that it will be.
You're never going to full details because Obama is going to drop this on the Congress who will not pass it. As you said, nothing is free and in government the rule of thumb everything is three times more expensive than the experts say that it will be. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Well can't say I can argue with you- as I mentioned on paper it sounds great- you have at least the opportunity to give people a chance to obtain a good education or even prepare them for a 4 year degree, but I think there would have to be strings attached- for example if you flunk out- you pay back whatever the tuition rate and on the flip side if you perhaps finish with a certain average perhaps - you get a heavily reduced rate or low interest rate.

However, JD let's be reasonable before we destroy this plan- I think it's a freaking crime and an evil act where you encourage citizens to go to college and become productive and contributing members to your country and then when they graduate they are in debt in which it will take them many of years to pay off the loans.

Medical students have an average debt of $200,000- which IMHO should be a crime. So if we have a system where a student can come out of school 200,000 in the red- we should have a system set up where students who want to go to school don't have to worry about the financial burden.
You think he will make the promise to ..

"bend the cost curve for college education downward" ?????

What on earth can Obama say that you would NOT support his expansion of entitlements?
On surface this sounds like a good idea, however, I can see where some problems could arise. Let's face it- nothing that is promoted as "free' is truly free because someone is paying for it. I am going to hold back and wait on the full details of Obama's plan before I make a Yay or Nay decision. Originally Posted by wellendowed1911
This is another of Odumbo's political ploys to agitate and divide the citizenry. If Odumbo sincerely thought this was a good idea, he could have possibly pushed it through a dim-retard Congress during his first two years, but that's not a given. A similar Odumbo proposal was rejected by the dim-retard Congress in 2010.
You think he will make the promise to ..

"bend the cost curve for college education downward" ?????

What on earth can Obama say that you would NOT support his expansion of entitlements? Originally Posted by Whirlaway
WW as I stated I will have to hear the full plan- let me ask you a question WW- would you rather see more citizens with the opportunity to attend college and hopefully become productive members of society or would you rather see them stuck in a pattern of crime and illegal activities- the impact it could have on certain populations could be tremendous.

Also, where do you come up with this sense of "entitlement" ? WW do you realize their are about 7 countries I can think of where college tuition is free or the only thing you pay for is room and board? Brazil, Germany, Finland, France, Norway, Slovenia and Switzerland seem to know what they are doing. Also, those 7 countries I just named the tuition is free for foreign students as well- as long as you can cover the room and board. Now back to this entitlement bullshit- do you know in the last 50 years college tuition went from "affordable" to Highway robbery.

It's funny how republicans don't support anything that will help improve the average American- you favor low minimum wage or rather think increase minim wage is wrong- you don't support equal pay for women- and seems like you don't support students getting a 2 year break on college.
This is another of Odumbo's political ploys to agitate and divide the citizenry. If Odumbo sincerely thought this was a good idea, he could have possibly pushed it through a dim-retard Congress during his first two years, but that's not a given. A similar Odumbo proposal was rejected by the dim-retard Congress in 2010. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
IF Obama was to pass a bill of a medical breakthrough that would cure cancer you would be against it- by the way- how much did it cost you to fuel up your vehicle? I just purchase gas at $1.59a gallon However, if gas was at $3.50 a gallon you would post threads of how Obama is destroying the economy.
Sounds like you have already made up your mind; again, what possibly could Obama reasonably say that would cause you to NOT support this?

I honestly am curious.

Well can't say I can argue with you- as I mentioned on paper it sounds great- you have at least the opportunity to give people a chance to obtain a good education or even prepare them for a 4 year degree, but I think there would have to be strings attached- for example if you flunk out- you pay back whatever the tuition rate and on the flip side if you perhaps finish with a certain average perhaps - you get a heavily reduced rate or low interest rate.

However, JD let's be reasonable before we destroy this plan- I think it's a freaking crime and an evil act where you encourage citizens to go to college and become productive and contributing members to your country and then when they graduate they are in debt in which it will take them many of years to pay off the loans.

Medical students have an average debt of $200,000- which IMHO should be a crime. So if we have a system where a student can come out of school 200,000 in the red- we should have a system set up where students who want to go to school don't have to worry about the financial burden. Originally Posted by wellendowed1911
IF Obama was to pass a bill of a medical breakthrough that would cure cancer you would be against it- by the way- how much did it cost you to fuel up your vehicle? I just purchase gas at $1.59a gallon However, if gas was at $3.50 a gallon you would post threads of how Obama is destroying the economy. Originally Posted by wellendowed1911
"IF" Odumbo's proposal is so fantastic, why didn't he submit it when the dim-retards had Congress, WE? Oh, that's right, he did propose a similar measure in 2010, and the dim-retard Congress rejected it!!!!

Medical students have an average debt of $200,000- which IMHO should be a crime. So if we have a system where a student can come out of school 200,000 in the red- we should have a system set up where students who want to go to school don't have to worry about the financial burden.
Originally Posted by wellendowed1911
Essentially, Odumbo is conceding that the billions of dollars thrown at kids in K-12 hasn't worked and somehow Community College courses are necessary to compensate for that failure. Adding two more years of schooling to obtain the equivalent of what was formerly termed a "high school education," is not a solution to this problem.

It's funny how republicans don't support anything that will help improve the average American- you favor low minimum wage or rather think increase minim wage is wrong- you don't support equal pay for women- and seems like you don't support students getting a 2 year break on college. Originally Posted by wellendowed1911
It's funny how lib-retards think an open border immigration policy is not a factor in driving down wages. It's funny how lib-retards think taxing citizens twice to pay for what is the equivalent of a high school education is an "intelligent" use of limited tax revenue.
I think I stated my opinion on this in a different thread.
I'll see if I can find it.
Sounds like you have already made up your mind; again, what possibly could Obama reasonably say that would cause you to NOT support this?

I honestly am curious. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I would have to know how it's going to be paid for and what strings are attached- I would support the bill if there's incentives attached- such as students maintaining a certain average- a minimum amount of courses to be taking, etc.

It's funny WW- how you supported the Iraqi war which was never paid for and I believe your are own record supporting Bush's Medicare Part D- neither one of those programs were paid for and yet you an IB complain about taxes being directed towards education????

I wonder if IB and WW are in favor of the current tuition inflation in most schools. It appears neither one of you have college aged students because if you look at the cost of education you will be appalled.

Also, if any of you hypocrites like IB and Whirlaway if you had college age students I am pretty sure you would look the other way if college tuition was free for a community college- do you expect us to believe that you two guys would say..."son/daughter this is an outrage- the community college courses are free, but I am going to take a trip down to the financial aid office and pay the fees myself....."
Who determines what "working hard" is?
Will college students have to meet certain academic standards to prove they are working hard? That sets up a dumbing down of the entire higher education system the same way we've dumbed down secondary education.
Why can't we require welfare recipients to work hard?
Not everyone needs or wants a college education.
When the world is full of doctors and lawyers the only millionaires will be the garbage men. Not sure of the source. Originally Posted by boardman
Guaranteeing an education for anyone who says they want it dilutes the value of the education for those that actually worked for it.
Guaranteeing an education for anyone who says they want it dilutes the value of the education for those that actually worked for it. Originally Posted by boardman
I respectively disagree- you are under the assumption that everyone who goes to college is guaranteed to receive a passing grade or a degree. If there was a such thing that anyone who enters college is guaranteed to pass every class no matter what the grade they earn then you would have a point.

If what you are saying is true than High School Diplomas should be devalued? From what little I have heard about Obama's proposal there's some string attached and stipulations one has to maintain for free college.
I would have to know how it's going to be paid for and what strings are attached- I would support the bill if there's incentives attached- such as students maintaining a certain average- a minimum amount of courses to be taking, etc.

It's funny WW- how you supported the Iraqi war which was never paid for and I believe your are own record supporting Bush's Medicare Part D- neither one of those programs were paid for and yet you an IB complain about taxes being directed towards education????

I wonder if IB and WW are in favor of the current tuition inflation in most schools. It appears neither one of you have college aged students because if you look at the cost of education you will be appalled.

Also, if any of you hypocrites like IB and Whirlaway if you had college age students I am pretty sure you would look the other way if college tuition was free for a community college- do you expect us to believe that you two guys would say..."son/daughter this is an outrage- the community college courses are free, but I am going to take a trip down to the financial aid office and pay the fees myself....."
The whole K-12 system needs to be revamped, WE. All you and Odumbo are proposing to do is put new wheels and tires on an old car that's missing its transmission.

BTW, noticed how you are complaining about the "inflated costs" of college, WE. That inflated cost for an education also reflects the devaluation of the dollar.

Yeah, your boy Odumbo can keep printing dollars and make the Stock Market look good, but it also means Odumbo is reducing the purchasing power of each dollar. It's called the law of 'Supply and Demand', WE. That same law applies whether you are printing currency or college degrees: both are devalued when you produce a surplus.

I respectively disagree- you are under the assumption that everyone who goes to college is guaranteed to receive a passing grade or a degree. If there was a such thing that anyone who enters college is guaranteed to pass every class no matter what the grade they earn then you would have a point.

If what you are saying is true than High School Diplomas should be devalued? From what little I have heard about Obama's proposal there's some string attached and stipulations one has to maintain for free college.
If you don't imagine that a surfeit of federal dollars won't create diploma mills, you haven't been paying attention to what's been happening with GI Bill dollars in recent years.
I am skeptical of the whole concept of the Government involving themselves in providing " Free" tuition. There are already many financial programs available to prospective students who have the scholastic potential for college admittance, but lack the financial means. This program Obama is proposing sounds like just another bailout program for our nations colleges and universities. I don't think it's a good idea. Besides all you'll get is a bunch of swinging dicks that want free tuition so they can hang out at a college somewhere and party and try to get laid, lol.

Jim