Recommendation for Best BBQ in Austin

Heading to the UT / UCLA game in Austin this weekend with a California Tree Hugger & he needs to get some Texas BBQ… I have taken him to the original Rudy’s in Leon Spring…I live in SA.. I have been to County Line & Stubs (but that was a long time ago & I was a bit toasted & cant remember $hit about it)… so hit me with some tips on the best BBQ in your city---God Help Texas if UCLA upset another Texas team!!!
The Salt Lick in Driftwood (a little SW of Austin proper) is usually a really good place for BBQ if you're visiting.
I second the Salt Lick. It's the best BBQ IMHO. I also recommend Iron Works, but it is a little pricey for what you get.
Be sure to hit the Salt Lick in Driftwood. There's a new one by Dell Diamond that has horrible BBQ.
Salt Lick for beef Ribs.. Iron works is close second on beef Ribs..
Pulled Pork at Salt Lick is great also. Not on other Texas BBQ Menus that I have found.
IMHO if a place does Beef Ribs correctly everything else is simple.
I will second the Iron Works if you are not wanting to drive 20 miles outside of town to get to the original Salt Lick. Does anyone else remember the Green Mesquite that used to be off Lamar?
  • FWR
  • 09-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Despite all that has been written about it in Texas Monthly and other publication, Louise Mueller in Taylor sucks. I ate there for lunch yesterday and will never be back.

If you have time, Blacks in Lockhart is good, and the oldest in Texas I think, at least of those still up and running. Southside meat market in Elgin is good too. But all three of these are stand at the counter get you order on butcher paper and go sit down at a wooden table. Real old school. If your friends want something nicer, go to the Salt Lick
For beef ribs, go to the Iron Works. Salt Lick in Driftwood is good for pork ribs and brisket and their smoked prime rib, but EVERYONE goes there on the weekend - I know, I live near it. County Line is OK. If you're not looking for atmosphere, Donn's just west of the Y on west 290 has fine BBQ.

JJ
and yet nobody mentions Manns on 183 between Lamar and Burnet.. certainly one of the best.
When it comes to BBQ, there are several option and depends on the type of sauce you like.

Spare ribs and sauce at J & J's are the best I have found so far in Austin. Johnny T's has great pulled pork and off of 620. Theye also make all their sides from scratch. They have a great tamale and corn casserole. Salt lick has great spicy sauce and decent BBQ, too. Salt Lick atmosphere is hard to beat.

Obvioulsy, just opinions here, but all in all, you will do fine just about any place that has been mentioned.
He did mention he wasn't local and he's headed to the game. I think something more central than Salt Lick would be better, he doesn't know the area well. The ones he mentioned are very close in... IE: Stubs and County line and isn't sure how to find them... Salt lick will be a challenge.......
If he is heading for the game.. Iron works is best. go early.. not much parking.
Does anyone else remember the Green Mesquite that used to be off Lamar? Originally Posted by jimmers
Green Mesquite is still in the same location. I prefer Ironworks over either of the Salt Lick locations. Mann's is very good also!. The best bbq is in Lockhart. Definately worth the drive!
The best bbq around IMHO is in Lockhart. Kreuz's Market, Smitty's, Blacks
The Salt Lick in Driftwood is also very good. BYOB
Mann's is good but their weekend menu is smaller then the week menu.
Downtown I would recommend Ironworks, great place for beef ribs (they cut them bone to bone). Stubb's and the Green Mesquite are also worth considering.
WOW Gents... I need to # to Jenny Craig ALREADY!!! a great list that will keep me busy.. AND FULL!!