Any theoretical physicist or astronomers here?

We have questions.
Theoretically, everyone is...

We are talking about the physics of sex or what stars must be in alignment for certain positions, right?
lol
  • MrGiz
  • 03-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Do ya ever wonder how often Steven Hawking gets laid these days?

How many have tried to read "A Brief History of Time" ?
Thank God , he finally wrote "A Briefer History of Time" in 2005!!

Facinating.... but Jeeeeeezus Keeeeerist!! Talk about Brain Knots!!
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Originally Posted by discreetgent
Then you are qualified.
I'm an opinionated bastard and...

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Originally Posted by discreetgent
...well not technically last night, but I've got my fair share of stays while traveling.
Do ya ever wonder how often Steven Hawking gets laid these days? Talk about Brain Knots!! Originally Posted by MrGiz
More about knots:

An old retired sailor puts on his old uniform and heads for the docks once more, for old times sake.

He engages a prostitute and takes her up to a room.

Hes soon going at it as well as he can for a guy his age, but needing a little reassurance, he asks, How am I doing?

The prostitute replies, Well, old Timer, your're doing about three knots.

Three knots? He asks. Whats that supposed to mean?

She says, You're knot hard, your're knot in, and your're knot getting your money back.
Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
You guys are putting knots in my cranium.
Do ya ever wonder how often Steven Hawking gets laid these days?

How many have tried to read "A Brief History of Time" ? Originally Posted by MrGiz
Actually, a very find book, and IMHO, not that difficult to follow. A bit dated now, however. His newer book, The Universe in a Nutshell is good and a bit more up to date, although not quite as good as the original. I also recommend Schrodinger's Cat in the same field.
  • npita
  • 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm a physicist. What do you want to know?
I'm attempting to develop what most would consider a fuel cell from scratch. The basic principle is to have solar powered electrolytic hydrolysis, then force the H2 and O2 gases to recombine by passing through charged plates (more or less the equivalent of a battery). The resulting water to be fed back into the original reaction, and the remaining O2 vented into the atmosphere. I'm building this in stages, with the initial model being a scale model (ultimately, I intend to use this to produce and store enough renewable electricity to run a moderately sized farm). The primary goal overall is to be as close to 100% efficient as possible and find most components as naturally occurring in nature (readily available, relatively little refining or usable completely unrefined). Please PM for further detail.
I'm attempting to develop what most would consider a fuel cell from scratch. The basic principle is to have solar powered electrolytic hydrolysis, then force the H2 and O2 gases to recombine by passing through charged plates (more or less the equivalent of a battery). The resulting water to be fed back into the original reaction, and the remaining O2 vented into the atmosphere. I'm building this in stages, with the initial model being a scale model (ultimately, I intend to use this to produce and store enough renewable electricity to run a moderately sized farm). The primary goal overall is to be as close to 100% efficient as possible and find most components as naturally occurring in nature (readily available, relatively little refining or usable completely unrefined). Please PM for further detail. Originally Posted by Sinning
I have heard of this somewhere recently.
  • npita
  • 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm attempting to develop what most would consider a fuel cell from scratch. The basic principle is to have solar powered electrolytic hydrolysis, then force the H2 and O2 gases to recombine by passing through charged plates (more or less the equivalent of a battery). Originally Posted by Sinning
So, how could that possibly be more efficient than just not using the fuel cell and instead, using the solar power directly? Using the power from solar panels directly also has the advantage that solar panels don't explode. In the unlikely case that you have enough solar panels to generate a surplus of power you could store for use at some other time, why would your fuel cell have some advantage over existing batteries? Unless you have a really good answer for those questions, invest your money in something else.
What is the weak link in converting a home to solar and getting it off the grid.
Solar panels not efficient enough for their cost? Or the fuel cells being expensive and needing replacing before they're paid for?