John Wayne Weekend on AMC

AMC has been having a John Wayne weekend, and I'm currently watching McClintock!. They are holding a poll to see which is his best movie. The candidates are (http://movies.amctv.com/movie-guide/...t-westerns.php):
  1. Rio Brave
  2. The Searchers
  3. McClintock!
  4. True Grit
  5. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
  6. The Shootist
  7. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  8. Red River
  9. Stagecoach
  10. Fort Apache
My favorite isn't on this list. My favorite is Big Jake.

So, which movie is your favorite? Or, are you even a John Wayne fan? BTW, his birth name was Marion Morrison. He probably had to be tough with a moniker like that.
I'd probably go for Stagecoach but there were so many good ones. As he got older they tended to be formulaic but that seems to happen with most super stars. Jimmy Stewart avoided it to some degree as did Gary Cooper but Cooper didn't have that long a career and, I don't think, was on the level of Wayne and Stewart.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
As I said, first was Big Jake.

Second is Donovan's Reef.

Guess I'm a sucker for tough guys opposite JW. Big Jake had Richard Boone, while Donovan's Reef had Lee Marvin.

Donovan's Reef was a hoot.
To have been in Hawaii back when Donovan's Reef was made would have been great.
  • Mokoa
  • 07-04-2010, 09:53 PM
True Grit
Hatari!
The Green Berets
Hellfighters
McClintock!
El Dorado
The War Wagon
Sands Of Iwo Jima
  • oden
  • 07-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Charles,
I like your picks. I would add the Searchers, and the Shootist but would jump The Quiet Man to the head of the pack. The kiss between John Wayne and Maureen O'Hare is my favorite, topping that of the Reht Butler and Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind.

Also, great fight scene once he is finally provoked. I watch it every Saint Paddy's Day.
My Favs...

True Grit
Big Jake
Sons of Katie Elder
The Shootist
El Dorado
Rio Bravo
Green Berets
Hellfighters
Man who shot Liberty Valance
Good list, RK.

[BTW, I wouldn't have guessed you for quoting a theologian like you do in your signature line. But life can still amaze.]
Quiet Man. (My favorite movie, my favorite actor)

The 3 he died in:

Cowboys
Iwo Jima
Red Witch
Quiet Man. (My favorite movie, my favorite actor)

The 3 he died in:

Cowboys
Iwo Jima
Red Witch Originally Posted by babee
Add

The Alamo
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
The Shootist
Some of my favorite quotes from some of my Favs.

True Grit –
Ned Pepper: What's your intention? Do you think one on four is a dogfall?
Rooster Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.
Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch

Big Jake –
And now *you* understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off.

The Shootist –
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Cahill U.S Marshall –
Mister, I ain't got a bigoted bone in my body. You don't drop that axe I'll blast you to hell as quick as I would a white man.

Cowboys –
Big mouth don't make a big man.

Chisum –
James Pepper: What are you going to do?
John Simpson Chisum: What I had done twenty-five years ago. Pat, get the men out of South Camp. Trace, you round up everybody that can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters!

BTW, add Cahill & Chism to my list.
They don't make'em like the Duke any more!!
In Harms Way - top of the list for me.

Maybe because the sultry voiced Paula Prentiss was in it...

Loved 'The Duke'.....
The Shootist, True Grit, The Alamo,and Big Jake probably top my list, but in no particular order. I don't think I've seen one of his movies that I didn't like.