Texas or Tejas, what's your opinion?

Since I'm a ways from the southwest, I only get what I get from different sources of media.

Militant teachers teaching that Texas was stolen and the Mexicans have a duty to take it back. Texas is reffered to as Tejas in school books.
Flag of Mexico on post offices etc.
20 miles this side of the border under drug cartel control.

[Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!] Ghost busters.
Since I'm a ways from the southwest, I only get what I get from different sources of media.

Militant teachers teaching that Texas was stolen and the Mexicans have a duty to take it back. Texas is reffered to as Tejas in school books.
Flag of Mexico on post offices etc.
20 miles this side of the border under drug cartel control.

[Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff.
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!] Ghost busters. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius

As well as Houstone/Tango Blast thugs.........
I guess it depends on how you define "stolen".

Texas declared independence...they fought the Big Dog and captured him...he signed a treaty ceding Texas's independence. All that occured in 1836.

Since 1836 was some 60 years after the US declared independence...that's a bit like someone asking (in the year 1950) if the US stole the 13 colonies from England.

In some ways...I guess we did.

Now what?

Since 1836 was some 60 years after the US declared independence...that's a bit like someone asking (in the year 1950) if the US stole the 13 colonies from England.

In some ways...I guess we did.

Now what? Originally Posted by Rudyard K
...or asking anyone at any time if we established these colonies on land that was even England's to be stolen from. It depends.
Sorry I wasn't more clear.
I was asking if the stories are true?
Does anyone in Texas or Arizona give a hoot?

Is there anything that is being done to stop it? Or is there nothing to stop?
Well one could say that someone else had it before the Mexicans.

So we kicked your ass, you surrendered so it's our land.

You want it back, lets fight over it and winner take it or keep it.
You want it back, lets fight over it and winner take it or keep it. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
That's the truth of human history...it's just too ugly a truth for many to acknowledge...

is it wrong?...not so sure because it does make some logical sense...

As to your original question, don't assume that American culture isn't very deeply engrained in Texas.....in many ways, Texas is still more American than the rest of America...
They want Arizona, New Mexico and California back too. Good luck with that, they can't handle what they have now. And yes, there are some militant government school teachers here spewing this line of thinking. Tucson was recently in the news here about this.
They want Arizona, New Mexico and California back too. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
I'm not sure about California. That place is a financial toxic waste dump.
They want Arizona, New Mexico and California back too. Good luck with that, they can't handle what they have now. And yes, there are some militant government school teachers here spewing this line of thinking. Tucson was recently in the news here about this. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
If they want it to give it back to the Spanish...who want it to give it back to the Aztecs...who want it to give it back to....whomever they took it from (I'm at the outer bounds of my historical knowledge at this point)....sure! Why the hell not?
If they take back California and Nevada, they have to take Jerry Brown, Reid, Pelosi, and Boxer too . . . right? Sounds like an offer we should consider.
Mexico, independent of Spain, had sovereignty over Texas for less than fourteen years: 1821-1835.

1810–1821: The Mexican War of Independence from Spain.
1821: First Mexican Empire.
1823: A revolt established the United Mexican States.
1835–1836: Texas War of Independence.
1845: Texas admitted to the U.S. as a state.
There intent is to take all the land back and they are very slowly doing it. Another ten years, the southwest will again belong to Mexico because it will be majority mexican.
Technically, Tejas is an Native American word.

TEJAS Word Origin

"TEJAS"
is an old Native American word that means "FRIENDS."
The word tejas has also been interpreted to mean "ALLIES."
"Tejas" was used as a form of greeting, meaning "HELLO, FRIEND." .
The word "FRIENDSHIP" is the motto of the State of Texas.
This motto carries the original meaning of the word and is derived
from the original Native American source.
Yeah I was told that it means friendship but that it was of Mexican origin.
Thanks.