Evergy's new rate plan for MO

https://fox4kc.com/news/evergy-to-ro...uri-customers/ What a crock. They can pay great dividends but can't figure out how to build the infrastructure for an all electric world.
I can tell you from working on several Evergy power plants, they’re absolutely incompetent and have no clue what they’re doing.
They are targeting Air Conditioner usage.
Note the time frames and the weekends.

So...
For weekdays...
Those with pets,
Or,
Stay at home moms with babies,
Will have interesting bills.

So postpone dinner till after 8? nope.
For a family with young kids, not run a washing machine / dryer at least once, maybe twice a day during prime time? Yeah tell that to a mom.

Weekdays should have been cut off at 6pm as that's when almost all commercial buildings turn their HVAC off (except hotels).

These issues were all presented but, nooo...
The MO PUC are idiots and listen to lobbyists.
I can tell you from working on several Evergy power plants, they’re absolutely incompetent and have no clue what they’re doing. Originally Posted by Kcmohobbyer
Yup! In my section we had 4 outages in Apr ‘22, the 5th on May 2! No shit!! I told the power guy we had better service in Long Binh, VN! 2 outages, one from an attack!

Oddly enough, most every outage has been during clear skies or after the sky clears after a storm!!
Sit in the dark. eat baloney sandwiches, crap outside. Or build a coal plant. Or somehow generate your own power.
Time of use rate is basically demand rates. Don't use dryer for one thing during those times as they push demand higher. Electric Hot water heater also does
Invest in a natural gas back up generator and make your own juice. Run it at peak times. Get a natural gas water heater & grill more outside. No way to get around a cooling load unless you really insulate or buy a natural gas fired absorption cooling system.
Might be time to reap that solar panel grant.
Might be time to reap that solar panel grant. Originally Posted by ughiphopfan

I would study long & hard before I went that route. Those panels beginning losing their productivity after first year. You can be assured within 10 years of replacing the panels, find out what it will cost you to dispose of the old panels. Battery cost for storage of energy and then replacement cost of batteries in 7-10 years
Check with home owners insurance as well to see what they tell you on rates.
Think more than twice about solar.
The promoter's math schedule for investment return / break even is always skewed.
The big issue that is not disclosed is that the converter has a life cycle of 9 to 12 years. So if your install cost, even with the tax credit, breaks even at any point after 9 years, it's simply not worth the gamble. And btw, even the new panels have a production fall off after a couple years. I've lost count of haw many uspset panel sales folks I run into when my clients reject their bids. cause the sale folks can't answer a couple simple questions.
One of which always is: which rate schedule at power co did you use?
By you boys math, my solar system is already dead. Funny after 14 years, still producing at 80% of design capacity.

Yes, panels do begin to degrade the day you put them in the sun, but the degradation curve flattens. Barring hail damage most panels have an indefinite design life. there are panels from the 1960s still working, and the newer panels are better designs. Most are guaranteed for 20-25 years, so workmanship issues are going to showup. Of course, hail is a problem, but they are rated to like 1.5" hail. I was surprised that my homeowners insurance did NOT go up with the panels.

As for the inverter "burning up" after 9-12 years.... what sort of antigreen propaganda are you consuming? That is just misinformation. Period,
drc.
Just look at the manufacturers specs on the components.
It's as clear as can be when the life cycle is mentioned.
By you boys math, my solar system is already dead. Funny after 14 years, still producing at 80% of design capacity.

Yes, panels do begin to degrade the day you put them in the sun, but the degradation curve flattens. Barring hail damage most panels have an indefinite design life. there are panels from the 1960s still working, and the newer panels are better designs. Most are guaranteed for 20-25 years, so workmanship issues are going to showup. Of course, hail is a problem, but they are rated to like 1.5" hail. I was surprised that my homeowners insurance did NOT go up with the panels.

As for the inverter "burning up" after 9-12 years.... what sort of antigreen propaganda are you consuming? That is just misinformation. Period, Originally Posted by dhcharles

Go checkout what hail did to the 5.2 megawatt solar farm in Nebraska just a couple weeks ago.

If your panels are at 80% after 14 years you are one of the few lucky people
I got a $7800 complete solar generator set on my Amazon wish list. 3kW, 5700WH! 180 lbs!! Weird it has wheels but no handle to push or pull! I’m thinking I can Jerry Rig a way to keep the water heater going, when needed, and the refrigerator!! Savings should be pretty decent!
I spent the time to program my thermostat so from 4 to 8 on weekdays the temp in my house is 10 degrees higher. Also I don't use the oven nor washer/dryer. My electric bill dropped dramatically. Now I have to see if this trend continues.