Congress trying to regulate baggage fees...

WHY, WHY, WHY do they stick their nose in these things? This is NOT the job of congress!!!!! If every airline was doing this I might be curious about their intentions but this is an industry competition issue. Southwest Airlines does not charge bag fees. Let them continue to handle the competition.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1eTPXIUxZ
Agreed!!!! Airlines shouldn't be regulated since there were no planes when the Constitution was written, so you cannot possibly apply the Constitution to airplanes.
I thought you weren't going to come in here?
  • WTF
  • 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I thought you weren't going to come in here? Originally Posted by Boltfan
He flew in on Southwest Airline and brought his free baggage with him! LOL

I love ya Charles....IDC what these yoyo's say about ya!
Haven’t really thought about whether or not there should be regulation. I just wanted to bitch about the fact that the luggage that I took to the Bay area for no extra charge cost me (my company) $150 to get back here (US Airways vs. Southwest).
If my company wants me to fly American, US Scareways, etc they can eat the cost.
Agreed!!!! Airlines shouldn't be regulated since there were no planes when the Constitution was written, so you cannot possibly apply the Constitution to airplanes. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Principles are eternal, my ignorant friend. In fact, this is one of the few areas that falls directly in line with what the commerce clause was supposed to deal with. That being said, I think Congress could spend its time better on other issues.
I suppose that many in congress feel something of a need to deflect attention somewhere else, since they apparently have no intention of doing anything about the fiscal kamikaze mission they've been engaged in for years.
Agreed!!!! Airlines shouldn't be regulated since there were no planes when the Constitution was written, so you cannot possibly apply the Constitution to airplanes. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
So for everything that was not invented yet in the time when they made up the constitution, this constitution should not apply to it, since it didn't exist.

Hmm, I think I can agree with that.
We might as well throw out the whole constitution.
Way to go on the way to a "free" country.
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
So for everything that was not invented yet in the time when they made up the constitution, this constitution should not apply to it, since it didn't exist.

Hmm, I think I can agree with that. Originally Posted by waverunner234
FYI, Charles was being sarcastic.
FYI, Charles was being sarcastic. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
FYI, I'm not !
FYI, I'm not ! Originally Posted by waverunner234
You are free to leave and return to the Netherlands.
Does it matter? It's an international forum right?
WHY, WHY, WHY do they stick their nose in these things? This is NOT the job of congress!!!!! If every airline was doing this I might be curious about their intentions but this is an industry competition issue. Southwest Airlines does not charge bag fees. Let them continue to handle the competition.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1eTPXIUxZ Originally Posted by Boltfan
Bolt just out of curiosity when should Congress act or not act? For example, SouthWest Airlines is the only one that I know of that doesn't charge fees and perhaps they may be picking up additional business, but when you have companies that in my opinion are charging unnecessary fees to the consumer do you think congress should step in?

Now of course you will have people who say well if you don't want to pay the "extra" fees than don't fly with them- use someone else like SouthWest- but keep in mind SouthWest doesn't fly everywhere- I know they don't fly to Atlanta which is a hotspot for me business travelers so they don't have that option.

I thought it was a good idea that Congress stepped in and protected consumers with all the hidden fees that were included in credit cars.

Keep in mind I am not attacking your position or stance but just want to know when do you think Congress should step in and when should they mind their business?
I don't think Congress should get involved with the CC business either. I think there were plenty of CC options out there for consumers that were straight forward. Consumers blindly got many of these credit cards without reading the terms and conditions.

Now, that being said, if CC companies violated the terms and conditions, consumers should sue.

On to airline fees of any sort. If they disclose the fees, as they have done, it is simply a cost to the consumer. If excessive carry on bags is an issue for airport security then enforce the damn rules for baggage size. Don't bitch about increased numbers of carry on bags and determine it is a legislative issue.

I think most airlines are poorly run anyways. Southwest doesn't need the fees because they are run more efficiently. If AA and others got their shit together more perhaps they could trim out the unneeded costs from their business and "renounce" bag fees and hammer their competition too.

I view this as a free market thing. I do not think the government need be involved in pricing issues.